+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Drill press suggestions

Shopping for a new drill press. I had bought one of harbor freights 20” “production “ models. Garbage, belt slipping excessive run out crap. I’d really like a big radial like we use I use at work but can’t justify the 25k lol. Using the big equipment at work spoils me. Looking at gear head grizzly. Unless someone makes a good belt drive that’ll go slow enough to power tap. 120 or 220v single phase. I don’t need power feed. Any suggestions I won’t be disappointed in?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drill press suggestions

I got tired of trying to find a good used drill press
    and just went to Home Depot and bought a Rigid
    branded Chinese drill press. Had it about 10 years
    now and it’s been good. I checked it for run-out and
    spindle to table “squareness”. Both were much better
    than I expected.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Scroll down about 12 posts in this section. There is an entire thread regarding the Grizzly gear head drill press

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it for awhile this morning till it changed course to why you should get auto feed. Unless I missed something I didn’t hear anything bad about the grizzly

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the room I would look for a used radial drill if that what you really want. In my area I have passed up many in the $5K range. Next it a question about your power taping. How large of taps are you talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have the room or the need to spend the money for a radial. Guess I hadn’t thought about how large of taps I’d use. I’m used to at work just whatever because the machine will do it. At home probably nothing over 1/2”

Post Thanks / Like

Ellis makes a really nice drill press
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

9. Likes camfab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickdavis81 View Post
    I don’t have the room or the need to spend the money for a radial. Guess I hadn’t thought about how large of taps I’d use. I’m used to at work just whatever because the machine will do it. At home probably nothing over 1/2”
    If your going to tap small holes like that you better have an instantly reversing drill press and I do not know of any that are not 3 phase. I worked in a machine shop for many years and put in a lot of time on several drill presses from radial to gear drive to variable speed belt drives and we always used a taping head in a drill press for taping small holes. WE did tap bigger holes with the radial drill but like I said it would instant reverse because it was 3 phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    If your going to tap small holes like that you better have an instantly reversing drill press and I do not know of any that are not 3 phase. I worked in a machine shop for many years and put in a lot of time on several drill presses from radial to gear drive to variable speed belt drives and we always used a taping head in a drill press for taping small holes. WE did tap bigger holes with the radial drill but like I said it would instant reverse because it was 3 phase.
    That makes sense now. Our big jet radial instant reverses. Hadn’t thought about that. Guess I need to read up on the tapping heads I hear about

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your eye on the FB Marketplace and Ebay. I'm always running across big drills, vintage pieces, including radial arm drills. Love to have one myself and am waiting to find one that's small enough and cheap enough for me.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.22.18 AM.png
Views: 1028
Size:  936.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I love the grizzly so far.

I don’t really need power down feed. It’s a beast otherwise.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a knee mill with a riser that is use almost exclusively to drill and tap. For drilling steel you need something that can be geared down pretty slow, especially if your using large drills. Most drill presses you can buy now days are designed for wood and are simply too fast and lightweight. Even my old Powermatic is often too fast... one of these days I'll add the back gear if I can Ebay one cheap. A good radial drill is really the way to go if you have the cash when the deal comes up. I too have passed up on a few because cash and space are often a premium around here.

For tapping on the drill press I use Tapmatic tapping heads. I have a variety of sizes. New they are pretty expensive but I've picked up most used for a fraction of new.

15. Likes ronsii, a2lute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    As gary said, you CANNOT instant reverse the grizzly or any non 3 phase drill.

The manual for the grizzly strictly states in bold you must wait until the drill comes to a full stop to activate the reverse. You could use it to power tap through holes but it isn't a great idea.

Ive been using a tapping head on the grizzly with great results.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    As gary said, you CANNOT instant reverse the grizzly or any non 3 phase drill.

The manual for the grizzly strictly states in bold you must wait until the drill comes to a full stop to activate the reverse. You could use it to power tap through holes but it isn't a great idea.

Ive been using a tapping head on the grizzly with great results.
    Just get a self reversing tapmatic == problem solved

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Just get a self reversing tapmatic == problem solved
    Thats...what...im... using

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Thats...what...im... using
    Good choice!!! I love mine with the high speed reverse certainly saves a lot of cycle time on projects that have a lot of holes.

Post Thanks / Like

My tap machine also has reverse built in when you pull back. Free wheels with no pressure when you ease off and drives forward with forward pressure. I guess they all work that way. The machine itself doesn't have to reverse.

A tapping directly in the quill sounds like a good way to break the tap off in the work piece. I guess if you use a chuck and go on the round part so it can slip when the tap stops it could work. I do that in the lathe on really slow speed with large taps that won't fit in my tap machine.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-06-2020 at 09:12 PM.

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

been using this chinese tapping head...works very well

Name:  your-tapping-head.png
Views: 1075
Size:  51.9 KB

Charl

24. Likes FHJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll definitely be checking out tapmatic heads. Had to drill a bunch of holes to day making mounts for my shops swamp cooler. Really need to get on buying a dp. Could of went to our gun shop and used the mill but it’s a 10 mile drive

Post Thanks / Like

I use large pulley but the center pulley I add a very large pulley and remove the very small pulley. The center small pulley is the one that slips.
    Other drillpress I have add counter on motor end and do not use the small pulley. This drill I used for tapping and large drill bits.

Dave

Shopping for a new drill press. I had bought one of harbor freights 20” “production “ models. Garbage, belt slipping excessive run out crap. I’d really like a big radial like we use I use at work but can’t justify the 25k lol. Using the big equipment at work spoils me. Looking at gear head grizzly. Unless someone makes a good belt drive that’ll go slow enough to power tap. 120 or 220v single phase. I don’t need power feed. Any suggestions I won’t be disappointed in?

Post Thanks / Like

You anywhere near Cleveland? Hgr has radials. Damn near can't give em away.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Miller Syncrowave 300(s)
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller CP-200 Haas / Kamp'd / CP-300 in process
    Miller Radiator 1
    Miller 30A /S-52E feeders
    Hobart GR-303

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small jet radial i tap with it all the time its a hydraulic reverse thoug so it coasts down but at 32 rpm its perfect 3/8 on up I use the morse tap collets so its solid
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an appointment in Springfield couple days ago so I swung by Grizzly. They had a g0779 in the scratch and dent room. Had some discoloring on the base and table. $1500, couldn’t say no

Post Thanks / Like

They do make gear reduction tapping heads they work great not cheep

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

I had an appointment in Springfield couple days ago so I swung by Grizzly. They had a g0779 in the scratch and dent room. Had some discoloring on the base and table. $1500, couldn’t say no
    Springfield MO? And you're using a swamp cooler?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist