+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vulcan ProTIG 205 review

Post Thanks / Like

Vulcan ProTIG 205 review

After relocating to Colorado and not having access to a garage to tinker and weld stuff, I finally got into a place with a garage. The only problem is I'm currently limited to a 120 volt outlet. Long story short, after a lot of research, I ordered a ProTIG 205 and after a month of waiting, it finally arrived! My impressions so far is it's a pretty sweet machine. I made a YouTube video of the machine plus my first welds on mild steel/chromoly and aluminum. Pretty rusty after not welding anything for a couple of years, and after getting a little time on it, it seems like everything the ProTIG 200 was, but with the additional features of pre/postflow adjust ability plus maybe a cleaner settings control?
    I installed my CK Worldwide #9 torch and superflex hose on it as I was setting it up, which was pretty easy, but the setup it came with looked pretty good.

2. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vulcan ProTIG 205 review

I've been using the welder for a couple of months. I've burned through quite a bit of rod and a tank and a half of argon, and so far, I really like it. I've done a few quick and easy projects, but decided to build a cart for the welder. It went from a weekend project to 3 weekends! I made a another video of the build. I played with the pulse settings quite a lot and can't wait to try it out on some thin wall cromoly.

4. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ease keep posting pictures and your opinion of this welder as you use it as I think a lot of guys are considering these.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

6. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got to try one the other night. A local friend bought one and tried welding with it on aluminum for the first time and it didn't go well. He had been having good luck on steel and stainless, so I told him to bring over the whole setup and we would figure it out.

Long story short...he had the collet in the 17F torch backwards and it was restricting the gas flow. Luckily the first thing I did was take the torch apart and saw the problem. I ran it on 1/8" aluminum coupons and then welded the 1/4" handles back onto a 1/4" thick pot for him that he was trying to fix. It seemed to weld just fine, and I had enough power but I thought the HF start was a bit on the weak side. Several times it took me two or three tries to get the arc started, and that was with the work clamp secure and pretty close. We were changing settings and talking as we went so maybe I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, but it didn't seem to be as robust as my machines. It was getting late or I would have spent more time trying it, but I'm pretty new to aluminum and got good beads so the machine can't be that bad!

For a lot of folks I think it will be more than enough machine, and it's hard to argue with the price along with being able to have local warranty support.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Cart looks good. I saw the burn through
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mesamods View Post
    he only problem is I'm currently limited to a 120 volt outlet.
    Do you have an electric clothes dryer? Or the hookups for one? That circuit is likely a 30 amp 120/240v outlet (4 pins).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Protig 205 I bought after my 200 died. I was in the garage on a rainy day and think the 200 blew due to moisture.
    Anyway, I've had to 205 for maybe 4 months. Gone through about 4 cylinders of argon (150 size) and just left the garage to take a phone call and while I was outside I heard a pop and the lights went out. Reset the circuit breaker in the garage but the 205 is done. Absolutely no idea how or why this time. It doesn't even turn on. Thank GOD it's under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 205 in July online (store did not have any). Didn't plug it in an try it till late August. Was D.O.A. Brought it back to the local HF store to and wanted my money back. The Mgr begged me to take another one. They only had one and it was the display model. Nope, I will take a refund. Mgr tried charging me 30% restocking fee. I said how are you going to re-stock this POS, it does not work. Got a full refund. Never again with HF.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, great video, everything is in essence. On what is more important is the necessary focus, less important moments passed in an accelerated form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_12 View Post
    Thank you, great video, everything is in essence. On what is more important is the necessary focus, less important moments passed in an accelerated form.
    "Grinding down bad welds is like drinking cheap wine. Just spit it out. "
    Author = Me
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I got a 205 in July online (store did not have any). Didn't plug it in an try it till late August. Was D.O.A. Brought it back to the local HF store to and wanted my money back. The Mgr begged me to take another one. They only had one and it was the display model. Nope, I will take a refund. Mgr tried charging me 30% restocking fee. I said how are you going to re-stock this POS, it does not work. Got a full refund. Never again with HF.
    Thats crazy they tried to charge you 30% in the first place when their policy says 20% right on the website! glad to hear you got your money back in full

Post Thanks / Like

Great videos Mesamods, thanks for sharing.
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist