+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 48" pneumatic shear

Post Thanks / Like

48" pneumatic shear

I'm looking to purchase for work a 48" pneumatic shear that will cut 16ga steel and 1/8 aluminum. The steels no problem, I'm thinking the aluminum may post a problem as it being 'sticky' to shear. Anyone know of a machine that can handle it......Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 48" pneumatic shear

I converted my 52" shear over to pneumatic and it is used primarily for aluminum.. it shears 5052 and 6061 sheet all day easily. No gumming issues. Mostly 10 and 16 gauge (0.1" and 0.05) thicknesses. I do keep the knives lightly lubricated, but that's mostly to prevent rust. It also does 16 gauge steel sheet and a very limited amout of stainless. The aluminum shears a LOT easier than steels plus my knives stay sharp forever.

I even use it to shear cardboard...

3. Likes distrbd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had seen that Forhire. If it was my shears I'd do it in a minute but unfortunately the safety police where I work would have me drawn and quartered.
    Thanks for the reply..............Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look for a older Pexto, or something similarly heavy. Tennsmith now owns Pexto and offer their line and Pexto. My shear was a hand me down, I'm guessing Grizzly, from the AG shop. When the AG shop called to order a Pexto the salesman talked them into the Tennsmith because they had it in stock in Seattle. When it arrived it looked exactly like the shear they gave me, just shiny and new. Garbage.

I did try to shear some mystery aluminum sheet from Boeing surplus... not sure of the alloy and temper but the shear wouldn't touch it... could have been titanium for all I know.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 52” Pexto converted to pneumatic that needed rebuilding. The design mechanism was sound but the geometry was off. Works great now.

Rated 16 gauge but I have sheared narrower pieces of 14 gauge mild steel.

:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist