+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution Rage 2 carbide blade sharpened by WD Quinn Saw Co.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evolution Rage 2 carbide blade sharpened by WD Quinn Saw Co.

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    The whole reason I've been considering getting one of these saws is to have reliable miters that come off the saw that I can take to the welding table.

Do you get repeatable, clean miters like that?

I was looking at the S380CPS, but Evolution has it marked out of stock with no projected ETA, and I sent them a question from their site on Amazon and haven't got a reply back from them in close to 2 weeks now.

The Fein Slugger is also a cast base, albeit only a 14" saw. About the same price as the S380CPS, made in Taiwan rather than China.
    There's always the Morse Metal Devil or the Trajan from Sawblades.com.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

The whole reason I've been considering getting one of these saws is to have reliable miters that come off the saw that I can take to the welding table.

Do you get repeatable, clean miters like that?

I was looking at the S380CPS, but Evolution has it marked out of stock with no projected ETA, and I sent them a question from their site on Amazon and haven't got a reply back from them in close to 2 weeks now.

The Fein Slugger is also a cast base, albeit only a 14" saw. About the same price as the S380CPS, made in Taiwan rather than China.
    I haven't done any miter cuts with mine yet. My buddy at work bought a S380CPS a week before I did (we have been talking about this style saw for a year). His first project was making a rolling cart for holding metal stock and after one day he was raving about how perfect the cuts were...he's super meticulous and swears that he was getting dead on 45* cut after 45* cut and they lined up perfectly when he went to weld them. I'm probably going to start on small table soon and have been looking forward to trying the miter cuts to see if they wind up as good as his did. I'll report back when I do.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I haven't done any miter cuts with mine yet. My buddy at work bought a S380CPS a week before I did (we have been talking about this style saw for a year). His first project was making a rolling cart for holding metal stock and after one day he was raving about how perfect the cuts were...he's super meticulous and swears that he was getting dead on 45* cut after 45* cut and they lined up perfectly when he went to weld them. I'm probably going to start on small table soon and have been looking forward to trying the miter cuts to see if they wind up as good as his did. I'll report back when I do.
    I'll be interested to hear your experience, if I don't buy one before...

The one area I'm interested in is when going between 90 degree and 45 degree, those are the 2 most common angles I cut. On my band saw I typically have to make a test cut to get as close as I can to 45 degrees. I was hoping that these cold saws could cut reliably between the 2 and produce weldable joints right off the saw. I don't miter everything, hence the desire to get between 90 and 45 degrees reliably. It's hard to tell how accurate the degree settings are for the miter and/or if they're reliable since there are no indents that I can tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested to hear your experience, if I don't buy one before...

The one area I'm interested in is when going between 90 degree and 45 degree, those are the 2 most common angles I cut. On my band saw I typically have to make a test cut to get as close as I can to 45 degrees. I was hoping that these cold saws could cut reliably between the 2 and produce weldable joints right off the saw. I don't miter everything, hence the desire to get between 90 and 45 degrees reliably. It's hard to tell how accurate the degree settings are for the miter and/or if they're reliable since there are no indents that I can tell.
    My buddy said he went back and forth between 90 and 45 several times and the cuts were on the money. I'm not sure how well the pictures or website info covers it, but the table has preset holes for different angles. You loosen the locking bolts, pull up on the spring-loaded pin, rotate the fence to the right spot, let the pin down into the correct hole and then tighten the bolts. My only concern would be wear and tear to the pins or the holes, but hopefully using it with reasonable care should keep it from becoming an issue.

Now I want to make some miter cuts to test it!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

6. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how well the pictures or website info covers it, but the table has preset holes for different angles. You loosen the locking bolts, pull up on the spring-loaded pin, rotate the fence to the right spot, let the pin down into the correct hole and then tighten the bolts.
    That's exactly the piece I was missing. I didn't think there was anything there other than the scale that you would turn and lock down. Yes, having locking pins for the degrees would do exactly what I want as long as they're accurate as your buddy describes.

That's exactly the info I needed. Thanks you!

Post Thanks / Like

Now I want to make some miter cuts to test it!
    I have more info, mostly in favor of the EVO. I sent an email to Jim Wright (Jimbo's Garage) asking about the Fein in regard to the pin settings for the miter on the EVO.

He said it was funny I asked, that those pin settings were one of the things he was really enjoying on the EVO. The Fein doesn't have those type of settings for the miter.

He also said the extra 1" doesn't sound like a lot but it seems HUGE, even though they ship it with a 14" blade.

The one downside to the EVO is he mentioned it's a lot noisier than the Fein.

I'm not sure he helped me as I was hoping the Fein has some type of pin settings for the miter, although he said both saws are nice and most people would be happy with either of them. He agreed, being able to go between 90 and 45 degrees quickly is a really useful feature. Now I'm stuck, the EVO S380CPS seems like the saw to buy, but there aren't any in stock and no projected ETA or even if they will be available again. Must be due to the Wuhan plague and/or Trade war we seem to be headed into with China. In that regard it seems nice that the EVO blades are made in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like

I have more info, mostly in favor of the EVO. I sent an email to Jim Wright (Jimbo's Garage) asking about the Fein in regard to the pin settings for the miter on the EVO.

He said it was funny I asked, that those pin settings were one of the things he was really enjoying on the EVO. The Fein doesn't have those type of settings for the miter.

He also said the extra 1" doesn't sound like a lot but it seems HUGE, even though they ship it with a 14" blade.

The one downside to the EVO is he mentioned it's a lot noisier than the Fein.

I'm not sure he helped me as I was hoping the Fein has some type of pin settings for the miter, although he said both saws are nice and most people would be happy with either of them. He agreed, being able to go between 90 and 45 degrees quickly is a really useful feature. Now I'm stuck, the EVO S380CPS seems like the saw to buy, but there aren't any in stock and no projected ETA or even if they will be available again. Must be due to the Wuhan plague and/or Trade war we seem to be headed into with China. In that regard it seems nice that the EVO blades are made in Japan.
    Minor update....I'm an idiot. I had a couple of minutes free the other day and decided to make a quick miter cut so I could measure the angle it put out. I wasn't paying enough attention, didn't tighten the vise properly and as soon as the blade hit metal it popped free, bashed into the back of the saw, broke the chip deflector off and made one heck of a racket. It knocked a couple of teeth off the blade and slightly bent one or two others. I have to say I was sick to my stomach afterwards!

I just got off the phone with Evolution and have a new complete base on the way for a total of $81 including shipping. I thought that was more than reasonable, and it only took maybe two minutes to get to a real person. They say they aim to get parts to you in four working days, so maybe I'll have it by the end of the week. I'm happy with the price, very happy I could get to a real person quickly, and if their shipping is reasonably quick I'll be beyond happy.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a shot of the pin setup for the fence....before I broke it. I have a set of rollers next to the saw that are the correct height...I'm going to clean them up and mount the saw and rollers on a table soon.

Name:  IMG_9429.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  143.2 KB

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Minor update....I'm an idiot.
    I wouldn't feel too bad, we're all only human after all, but I understand the feeling you had. I understand because I've BTDT.

I just got off the phone with Evolution and have a new complete base on the way for a total of $81 including shipping.
    That's actually XLNT news after the fact, seems very reasonably priced and 4 days is decent, IMO. My only question is why they can't get more of these saws with the cast base? They obviously had some parts in stock. I'd like if they would at least be honest with why it is the way it is without being so candid and/or if parts will be difficult to get eventually.

Here's a shot of the pin setup for the fence....before I broke it. I have a set of rollers next to the saw that are the correct height...I'm going to clean them up and mount the saw and rollers on a table soon.
    I like that setup, that is the piece I wasn't able to understand in the past...thanks for posting the pic. I like the idea of the rollers at the saw. Do you have them on each side so you can move long stock around? I've been thinking I could adapt some mounts to a saw like this to use my DeWalt portable chop saw stand. Would be nice to just toss the saw on the stand and be good to go in a few minutes, setting up anywhere. I can get an extra set of mounts for about $50 that will attach to the stand.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that setup, that is the piece I wasn't able to understand in the past...thanks for posting the pic. I like the idea of the rollers at the saw. Do you have them on each side so you can move long stock around? I've been thinking I could adapt some mounts to a saw like this to use my DeWalt portable chop saw stand. Would be nice to just toss the saw on the stand and be good to go in a few minutes, setting up anywhere. I can get an extra set of mounts for about $50 that will attach to the stand.
    I'm surprised they're out of stock, but it could be fallout from the COVID-19 situation. I know there was no sign of a shortage a few weeks ago when I ordered mine, so something must have caused the shortage.

Sorry that picture was rotated. I forgot this forum doesn't have the plugin to correct for cell phone images taken with the phone vertically. I only have a set of rollers on one side right now, but eventually will have them on both sides. Right now I just stuck the saw on an old bench and set the rollers next to it. Eventually I'm going to put it on one of my metal benches with rollers on both sides and everything mounted properly. I'll probably add a better chip collector behind and around the saw so less winds up on the ground to clean up....sort of a U-shaped wall.

I had to cut a few pieces on the bandsaw tonight...I already miss the new saw!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised they're out of stock, but it could be fallout from the COVID-19 situation. I know there was no sign of a shortage a few weeks ago when I ordered mine, so something must have caused the shortage.
    I think they've been out of stock for at least a month. On the Amazon page it says:

"Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I've sent questions asking for an ETA, they seem to delete them and not answer. That part doesn't say much for their business practice, certainly no similarity in you being able to get replacement parts in 4 days. Makes me somewhat skeptical about buying product from them.

I had to cut a few pieces on the bandsaw tonight...I already miss the new saw!
    Could be worse, could be a hack saw...

Post Thanks / Like

I think they've been out of stock for at least a month. On the Amazon page it says:

"Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I've sent questions asking for an ETA, they seem to delete them and not answer. That part doesn't say much for their business practice, certainly no similarity in you being able to get replacement parts in 4 days. Makes me somewhat skeptical about buying product from them.

Could be worse, could be a hack saw...
    They shipped the part the day after I ordered it, and I got it in 4 days, so they pulled through. I looked around at other websites and some showed they would be back in stock in late June.

I don't think that this is just an Evolution problem. Starting around last December it was almost impossible to find a Wilton vise, or any parts for them, and that didn't resolve until a month or two ago. Even the vises made in the U.S. have the small parts coming from China and that stopped deliveries for months. I suspect many companies are facing those sorts of problems.

Sadly, I found two cracks in my blade where the tooth meets the body, and I wouldn't trust that even if someone could repair it. It would have needed 7 new teeth, plus sharpening, plus shipping...wound up just ordering a new blade for about the same price. I'm going to order a 15" blade next and will rotate them through sharpening if I don't do anything else stupid!

I did try a quick 45* miter cut on some 1.25" square tubing and I'm pleased...using a cheap angle attachment from a saw as a guide it sure looks like 45* on the money. I'm going to cut another piece and see how they line up, but I'm optimistic so far.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

They shipped the part the day after I ordered it, and I got it in 4 days, so they pulled through. I looked around at other websites and some showed they would be back in stock in late June.
    That says something for them, that they came through with what they told you.

I don't think that this is just an Evolution problem. Starting around last December it was almost impossible to find a Wilton vise, or any parts for them, and that didn't resolve until a month or two ago. Even the vises made in the U.S. have the small parts coming from China and that stopped deliveries for months. I suspect many companies are facing those sorts of problems.
    I completely agree, this is not going to be or is isolated to Evolution, this is something that we will need to become used to.

What is an Evolution problem is that I sent 2 questions that were posted on the Amazon site but the next day they were removed, 2 different questions posted about a week apart, neither are there anymore. Also, they didn't respond to me at all in an email. That makes a statement for the type of company they may be. Call me a skeptic, but I'm gun shy to pull the trigger with a company that has that type of business practice.

Sadly, I found two cracks in my blade where the tooth meets the body, and I wouldn't trust that even if someone could repair it. It would have needed 7 new teeth, plus sharpening, plus shipping...wound up just ordering a new blade for about the same price. I'm going to order a 15" blade next and will rotate them through sharpening if I don't do anything else stupid!
    I don't know how bad it is, but Jim Wright, of Jimbo's Garage, had several missing and botched teeth by the time he replaced the blade on his Fein Slugger. Not sure if there is danger with teeth flying off during use or not. Not sure if the heat would distort the blade, but you could possibly try tig welding it and check for runout with it mounted on the saw using a dial indicator, that is if you're not going to use it.

I'll keep my eyes open, been checking on Amazon...but so far nothing...and as I mentioned, a bit of a bad taste in my mouth over them removing my questions I've posted and not gotten back to me...

Post Thanks / Like

What is an Evolution problem is that I sent 2 questions that were posted on the Amazon site but the next day they were removed, 2 different questions posted about a week apart, neither are there anymore. Also, they didn't respond to me at all in an email. That makes a statement for the type of company they may be. Call me a skeptic, but I'm gun shy to pull the trigger with a company that has that type of business practice.

I'll keep my eyes open, been checking on Amazon...but so far nothing...and as I mentioned, a bit of a bad taste in my mouth over them removing my questions I've posted and not gotten back to me...
    The e-mail I can't speak to, but asking questions about product availability in the questions section on Amazon is almost certainly going to be removed. That's not a product detail question and I doubt many companies would be willing to post a date for a number of reasons.

I'm always skeptical about e-mail to the company "contact us" type pages. Why not just call them? They have their number listed and you can get to a live person easily and not have to wait and hope the e-mail got to a human.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

The e-mail I can't speak to, but asking questions about product availability in the questions section on Amazon is almost certainly going to be removed. That's not a product detail question and I doubt many companies would be willing to post a date for a number of reasons.
    Really, I wonder why they put that right up near the top of the page, " Have a question? Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews", so I had a question and asked.

I'm always skeptical about e-mail to the company "contact us" type pages. Why not just call them? They have their number listed and you can get to a live person easily and not have to wait and hope the e-mail got to a human.
    I don't see their number easily, I just went looking again. Where do they post it?

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Evolution S380CPS. It has the steel blade on it. I was wondering if you've ever tried cutting aluminum with the steel blade. Or do you think I should by the aluminum blade? Do you aluminum could damage the steel blade?

Post Thanks / Like

Been a few days, but thought I would update here. I didn't realize they had a separate website other than Amazon, most of my searches on google took me to Amazon, but I did finally see they have a separate website. I sent an email to them and Haley got back to me, they do plan to get stock in soon and will have them on their website before Amazon.

I'm told they should start getting the S380CPS saws in next week. I'm poised and ready to pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktech View Post
    I also have the Evolution S380CPS. It has the steel blade on it. I was wondering if you've ever tried cutting aluminum with the steel blade. Or do you think I should by the aluminum blade? Do you aluminum could damage the steel blade?
    Personally I wouldn't worry about cutting aluminum, if anything the aluminum blade might keep residue off the blade, but you can clean it if you need to.

You can cut aluminum on a high speed saw, even a high speed wood chop saw will cut aluminum with ease, or a table saw, it cuts very easy.

I've seen people using the stock blade to cut all types of steel, including stainless, steel and aluminum. That is true for the Fein Slugger blade also.

Post Thanks / Like

...You can cut aluminum on a high speed saw, even a high speed wood chop saw will cut aluminum with ease, or a table saw, it cuts very easy.
    Basically any tool used in hardwoods will work fine with aluminum. The only thing you have to consider is that the aluminum will clog your tools if you cut it dry, so you are better off using some cutting oil. That, and the chips!

I cut a fair amount of aluminum plate (5mm thick) to make underride protection plates for VW T4 vans and I have been doing it for ages with the same wood blade in the same circular saw. I just squirt some WD40 along the cut line and it works great. Clean cuts everytime.

Mikel

Post Thanks / Like

Just came from W.D. Quinn shop. Very professional!!! Dropped off my evolution ferrous blade for a tune up. Thanks for the tip Oscar
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that any shop that can sharpen carbide blades for wood does just fine on my evolution blades.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Just came from W.D. Quinn shop. Very professional!!! Dropped off my evolution ferrous blade for a tune up. Thanks for the tip Oscar
    Yup, I'll be sending my blades there from now on. I just have to make sure I send more than 1 at a time to save on shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yup, I'll be sending my blades there from now on. I just have to make sure I send more than 1 at a time to save on shipping.
    from what I read they have been in business for a century.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Got my blade back. Replaced a couple of tips and sharpened. Lady I talked to married in to 5th generation. Cut .125 material like butter. Heavier stuff tomorrow. Good job W.D. Quinn.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Got my blade back. Replaced a couple of tips and sharpened. Lady I talked to married in to 5th generation. Cut .125 material like butter. Heavier stuff tomorrow. Good job W.D. Quinn.
    Pics of the blade?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist