Thread: Galvanize welding

Post Thanks / Like

Galvanize welding

How dangerous is it to weld on galvanize

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Galvanize welding

Fume fever.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Google it. Search it here. It was an area where OSHA was more relaxed than the general welding population.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time.... with that said do NOT breathe the fumes/smoke!!! make sure you're outside and the wind is at your back or get a PAPR hood system... or hold your breath a lot then run to a good air area

6. Likes 12V71, jfh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad always said to drink a glass of milk before welding it , and he practiced what he preached, I never saw him get sick from it.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

8. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    My dad always said to drink a glass of milk before welding it , and he practiced what he preached, I never saw him get sick from it.
    A lot of guys also say drink a glass of milk after welding too if you think you inhaled.

10. Likes 12V71, Rondo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I do it all the time.... with that said do NOT breathe the fumes/smoke!!! make sure you're outside and the wind is at your back or get a PAPR hood system... or hold your breath a lot then run to a good air area
    Yep, a lot of galvanized irrigation repairs here. Cross ventilation is the best and a metal fume rated respirator is good too. I've had it make me sick feeling but it doesn't last long after you toss your cookies.
    This will get plenty of replies... but the last I heard the zinc fumes are not a long term health issue, although I do my best to avoid them.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe these cautions should also apply when using a weld-through primer which contains zinc.
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

Post Thanks / Like

That is good advice Flyer58. I was just looking at "weld thru" primer for a job I am on, two options available, think I will choose copper over zinc.

Read in one of these threads that WD-40 sprayed on the galv before grinding it off will help reduce smearing by abrasive resulting in a cleaner prep.

I always use a respirator welding galvanize, do not ever want to get fume fever again !
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

15. Likes 12V71, Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i found ventilation is key welding galvanized. a fan at your back if at all possible. i drank milk a couple times during the day i don't know how much it helped but didn't get sick. keep your head out of the fumes. wear a respirator that's rated for that type of fume maybe dual charcoal filter canister.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you follow proper protocol it shouldn't be a big deal in small prod runs, just make sure to take it seriously. I remember when I was younger reading about a blacksmith named "Jim Paw-Paw Wilson"who died of metal fume fever....it was a tragic but unnecessary death - note:he wasn't welding.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need a charcoal cartridge for metal fumes. A particulate filter is what is needed. Typically N95 or P100 are the most common. Either one will be good enough for zinc fumes. The important part is that the respirator fits you well and that you wear it all the time the hazard is present. The stuff hangs in the air after you are done welding too. That is where adding a fan or other ventilation is good. If you are using a shield gas process like TIG or MIG, leave the fan off while you are welding and take periodic breaks and fire it up to clear the air out.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

We used to weld a lot of hot dipped galvanized structural steel building the power plants and they use a lot of galvanize plate in the shipyards. Some outfits forced you to wear a respirater others let it up to the guy doin the welding. I never used any. I never got sick, others did. We were most always outside with good ventilation.

The hot dipped stuff was more of a pain in the butt to weld, for the life of me i could never understand why they wouldnt mask it off so the galvanize wouldnt be there. You had to first of all grind it of and thats a process in itself it gets down in the steel it seems like at least an 1/8 inch or so. Sometimes you had to run a pass just to boil it out of there and then grind the weld out so you could get a good weld. Other times it wasnt so difficult, it all depended on the piece you were welding.

One of the fellas mentioned WD40 on the steel, we sprayed it on the steel and the grind wheel, it did help some and for one reason or another it kept the wheel from clogging up. Keep your head out of the fumes if possible and use some ventilation you should be fine, wear a respirator if it bothers you, some folks it does others it dont

21. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself something to avoid the headache...

Name:  57BD2E95-172C-4CEC-BCF3-C96FDCDFE4F5.jpeg
Views: 219
Size:  102.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the hood/blower combos are nice but very spendy. Probably $1.5k to $2k for the whole system...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I was welding some welded wire panels in a barn once and got sick from it. I had welded thousands of them before and it never bothered me but being in the barn with minimal ventilation must have done it. It didn't bother me until about 30 minutes later. I pulled up to the stop sign in the little town and opened my door to upchuck and fell right out of my truck on my face. The local police was right there and it took a little explaining to talk my way out of a dwi.