+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scumbag thieves

Post Thanks / Like

Scumbag thieves

This guy was caught on security camera stealing catalytic converters in a parking lot in broad daylight. There were actually police on the other side of the street when this was happening but they didn't see anything and can't be bothered with it now.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scumbag thieves

here's the car he was working out of if anyone here can help ID year/make/model
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking those were great IR pictures but broad daylight? obviously not afraid of being seen and don't know;don't care that white guys have a bad time in the graybar hotel. too bad his tag number isn't visible. could also be cops aren't sticking their necks out making arrests with all the anti police protests and he's taking advantage of the situation. hopefully he'll get some curbside justice if the owner happens by.
    Last edited by docwelder; 07-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

You can get his name in no time just go to the three nearest scrap/recycling yards.... show the pic around... he WILL be a regular at probably all of these places!!! If he does a *lot* of business then go to the bigger scrap yards, is a simple matter of showing his pic along with printing up a 'thief sheet' if you want to hand out at the yards.

There is a small chance if he's doing this as a business that he uses a partner or two to do the selling... in which case his pic might not help unfortunately...

5. Likes docwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's a late 90's/early 00's Explorer V8/AWD. We had a '99 just like it in black. They changed the design in 2002 I think. I doubt that is going to help much, but there ya go. Did he hit your car?
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Well it's a late 90's/early 00's Explorer V8/AWD. We had a '99 just like it in black. They changed the design in 2002 I think. I doubt that is going to help much, but there ya go. Did he hit your car?
    Thanks, and no he didn't hit us, just trying to help out in the neighborhood
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

If he is able to sale those without credentials and regularly to a scrap yard then the scrap yards needs to be reported too. Around here that is supposed to be slow money, check in the mail. He likely has accomplices. Hope this gets a lot of media exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    If he is able to sale those without credentials and regularly to a scrap yard then the scrap yards needs to be reported too. Around here that is supposed to be slow money, check in the mail. He likely has accomplices. Hope this gets a lot of media exposure.
    Not usually... I see it all the time at several scrap yards that I know the owners, All he has to do is say" These are not stolen." then sign the release form and show ID... unless the scrap yard guys KNOW they are stolen they are REQUIRED by law to buy them from him- that's why it is best to print up a flyer with his pic and some details of what is going on... then when he goes to sell them they can alert the authorities... or the listed party on the flyer(depending on the yard owner)

One other thing he could do with them if he is a *big*operator is deal directly with the mexican mobs or russian mafia types... they do it off the books and do most of the processing in house for maximum yield

Post Thanks / Like

The'ye not supposed to be buying taking copper without the proper credentials either but copper theft has not slowed down.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

A good plan would be to find him and his vehicle, cut his cat out and beat him to near death with it. That would make a lot of people real happy. A few maybe not.

edit: OK I changed it to "near death"
    Last edited by bigb; 07-19-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

12. Likes ronsii, CAVEMANN, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    The'ye not supposed to be buying taking copper without the proper credentials either but copper theft has not slowed down.
    Exactly The scumbag's know that unless you have concrete evidence of them stealing it AND a full evidence trail after the theft tracing it to the scrap yard... that you can't do squat to them.... and even then what's going to happen to them???? basically nothing... sad but true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Exactly The scumbag's know that unless you have concrete evidence of them stealing it AND a full evidence trail after the theft tracing it to the scrap yard... that you can't do squat to them.... and even then what's going to happen to them???? basically nothing... sad but true.
    Here you have to have a permit. Not hard to get just go to the sheriffs office and apply it's free. I think they do a background check. It seems to have reduced a lot of this.

S. C. State Law (16-11-523) requires an individual to have a permit in order to transport or sell any
    amount of nonferrous metal. Nonferrous metals are metals not containing significant quantities of iron or steel. They include copper wire, copper clad steel wire, copper pipe, copper bars, copper sheeting and aluminum; a product that is a mixture of aluminum and copper; catalytic converters; and stainless steel beer kegs or containers.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt B View Post
    Here you have to have a permit. Not hard to get just go to the sheriffs office and apply it's free. I think they do a background check. It seems to have reduced a lot of this.

S. C. State Law (16-11-523) requires an individual to have a permit in order to transport or sell any
    amount of nonferrous metal. Nonferrous metals are metals not containing significant quantities of iron or steel. They include copper wire, copper clad steel wire, copper pipe, copper bars, copper sheeting and aluminum; a product that is a mixture of aluminum and copper; catalytic converters; and stainless steel beer kegs or containers.
    Sounds like a good idea.... but then again... most of the people around here thought the laws the passed a few years ago that required the sellers of any non-ferrous metals to show ID and Put a 30 dollar cash limit on what they could get per day... so what did the scumbags do you ask???? simple they go to every single scrap yard in the area(of which there are over dozen) and get 30 bux from each one... per day... they still show ID because they know the chances are pretty slim they're going to get nailed for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be difficult for a random person to sell them for scrap metal. Wonder if he could be working with or for an auto wrecker? Not all auto wreckers are the most scrupulous and would certainly have access to a lot of catalytic converters. Some may even buy them for less than the scrap yard pays to make a little profit.

Then there's idiots like below who don't seem to pay any attention to the news and go to a local scrap metal dealer with not 1 or 2 but over a hundred stolen plaques.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...laid-1.5448324

18. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good plan would be to find him and his vehicle, cut his cat out and beat him to near death with it. That would make a lot of people real happy. A few maybe not.

edit: OK I changed it to "near death"
    What you do that for. It what he deserves

20. Likes ronsii, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you the police would had time.
    Next time do what works tell 911 operator you have will lawyer deal with Smith and Weston.
    I have not try that one , but a few have had the police they in a minute. They did not want to say they had a gun.
    Today I would show any guns to police, may get shot in the back

Dave

This guy was caught on security camera stealing catalytic converters in a parking lot in broad daylight. There were actually police on the other side of the street when this was happening but they didn't see anything and can't be bothered with it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Did you the police would had time.
    Next time do what works tell 911 operator you have will lawyer deal with Smith and Weston.
    I have not try that one , but a few have had the police they in a minute. They did not want to say they had a gun.
    Today I would show any guns to police, may get shot in the back

Dave
    I see your stupidity has come back twice as bad..

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scum bag for sure and could of been a one time hit to repair his own vehicle.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Houston, like many metro areas, is covered with Park 'n Ride lots. Hundreds of cars park in some of them. Years ago, maybe still now, there was a rash of cat converters stolen by guys with battery powered angle grinders and cut-off disks. It got so bad the lots became equipped with watch towers and armed guards 24/7 to try to stem the thefts. It worked a little.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I see your stupidity has come back twice as bad..
    I actually have sympathy for smithdoor, I don't think he's stupid per say other than supporting the DEMS, but I do think he has some sort of cognitive issue with formulating a proper sentence when writing, I don't know if he has the same issue when speaking, I think he means well but just doesn't get it out properly.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I actually have sympathy for smithdoor, I don't think he's stupid per say other than supporting the DEMS, but I do think he has some sort of cognitive issue with formulating a proper sentence when writing, I don't know if he has the same issue when speaking, I think he means well but just doesn't get it out properly.
    I think he said in another thread at some point that he has post-chemotherapy cognitive impairment. From cancer treatment.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

29. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist