Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 1966 Round Top Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1966 Round Top Idealarc 250

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Did you realize 6010 is run on electrode positive the same as 7018.

Is your statement directed towards me? If so - I am not following what you are asking or getting at.

The 6010 was run DCEP and when I switched to 7018 I kept the same setting. The 7018 I have is Jetweld LH-73 7018 H8. It will run on AC.

Name:  7018 rod specs.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  13.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read 6010 on DCEN but might have been a different thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I got an inverter machine (Everlast Powerarc 210STL) that uses a NMEA 6-50 plug. So to make things universal I decided to replace the power cord on the Round Top also. That was the project for today.

Cable is 8 gauge SOOW. I bought 25ft from Ebay and cut off 6ft for the Round Top.

Another change around here is I did decide to run a new power circuit. I am using 6 gauge aluminum service entrance cable, 4 conductor, 50a breaker, and NMEA 14-50 connectors (split phase so I have both 120 and 240). I have a project coming up that will need some heavier current than what I can get comfortably with the 30a circuit so I figured I would go ahead and run the circuit.

On another subject with the heavy power circuit - I have an air compressor upgrade in the future. I was going to get a 5hp 60gal compressor, but with the circuit now I am thinking 7.5hp. I like the 60gal size tanks, but maybe an 80 would be a better match. We'll see. That is where I am planning to use the rest of the 8 gauge SOOW - it is 3 conductor so single voltage.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  76.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

And the upgraded power supply:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  401.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph

Service wire and Romex on yer power cords ??

I'm not sure that is an upgraded circuit.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

"Service wire and Romex on yer power cords ??"

"Cable is 8 gauge SOOW. I bought 25ft from Ebay and cut off 6ft for the Round Top."

What did you do with the other 19 feet of it ? I would have put the whole thing on the Big red welder. You could always put a fused transformer inside for a 120 volt outlet mounted on the welder. That is unless your keeping it totally stock for shows (judges don't like add ons). I've seen some Dial arcs, and Idealarcs with 120v duplex outlets for HF boxes.

Looks like its time for a sub panel in the workspace (garage ?).
    It seems like there are going to be many power hungry devices in your future. You should just bite the bullet and put in a 100amp sub panel now. I can't ever remember anyone saying they should have gotten a smaller panel, and then, the only ones I have ever removed were replaced by larger ones.

best of luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    "Service wire and Romex on yer power cords ??"

"Cable is 8 gauge SOOW. I bought 25ft from Ebay and cut off 6ft for the Round Top."

What did you do with the other 19 feet of it ? I would have put the whole thing on the Big red welder. You could always put a fused transformer inside for a 120 volt outlet mounted on the welder. That is unless your keeping it totally stock for shows (judges don't like add ons). I've seen some Dial arcs, and Idealarcs with 120v duplex outlets for HF boxes.

Looks like its time for a sub panel in the workspace (garage ?).
    It seems like there are going to be many power hungry devices in your future. You should just bite the bullet and put in a 100amp sub panel now. I can't ever remember anyone saying they should have gotten a smaller panel, and then, the only ones I have ever removed were replaced by larger ones.

best of luck
    The power cord for the welder is fine but that extension cord , which I classify as a power cord- guess I should have said Ext. Cord
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

The rest of the 8g SOOW is for an air compressor down the road. I'll admit, though, I should have used more on the welder - I measured the cord on my Everlast and that's how I came up with the 6ft. Though, I didn't account for the ~18" that tucked up inside the welder from the access hole in the base to the switch on the top. So I ended up with a bit shorter cord than I wanted. That's OK - I can work with it. I am not concerned with not being able to reach an outlet. I'll be able to extend the power wherever.

The gray cable is SER grade service entrance cable, not romex. Only the pigtails for the L14-30r and 5-20r are romex. It works great.

The power cable before was 10-3 romex (with ground, so 4 conductors) going to a 14-30 (non-locking) that was existing. The box with all the outlets was part of that power cable, there wasn't a connector there at the end like there is now.

Part of the cabling that I never mentioned is I am working on building up temporary power options for use with generators or mains. That's in part why I wired for split phase - because it is a lot more universal. That same ~25ft "extension cord" can be used with a generator then I can split out both L1 and L2 at the far end for 120v. That is getting pretty far away from the welder subject, but everything ties together and there is more behind the wiring theory than just what's on the surface.

I don't disagree with a sub-panel. That is an idea. There are break-out boxes that you can get for splitting out generator power with breakered outlets. I don't have an example of one right off hand, but they use them on construction sites a lot - it is a "hub" outlet box that sits up on a metal frame stand. I have thought about building one of those. In time.

Right now I only have a 2200w and 2600w generator, with the 2600w being the only rotary that has split phase. The 2200w is an inverter and 120v only. Down the road I want something in the 15kw range. In fact, I'm thinking of alternative energy options and using a 15kw/48v inverter that does split phase (this one:
    http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=Vicor
    Though, they recently came out with an 18kw version also). With the inverter and batteries I could run an alternator off a much smaller engine to charge the batteries. If the average power produced by the alternator (either wind driven or engine driven, or add solar also) is as much or more than the consumed power, not the peak/instant power, then there would be plenty of power. For example - if a 15kw rotary generator requires a 24hp engine, but 15kw is the peak power drawn - and for a short amount of time - it is possible a 5hp engine producing the same average power as what is consumed could keep up with a 15kw intermittent load. Smaller engine, less noise, and... much less fuel. Of course, you need the storage in batteries to soak up the extra wattage produced so its there when the draw is more than what is produced. Again, though, that is getting really far away from the welder subject.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some "torture testing" of sorts this afternoon. At the moment the circuit only has a 40a breaker. I didn't have the meter hooked up to the switch like I did on one of the videos I did (#12) but I did run it.

To hold the amps I decided to try welding a couple rods together. So I made a few pairs of 5/32" 6011's. That should be enough rod to take the 300a the machine will put out.

The most I've tried to run on this machine before was 175a I think. That was on a 30a circuit - and the breaker went pretty quick. This round I went up to 225a and was able to run for a decent amount of time. The hard part was keeping one of the rods from sticking. You can see a noticeable restart in the middle of the bead - thats where I got a hard stick the first time. Right after the rod stuck is when the breaker blew. I reset things and had another stick, but broke the stinger off the rod before the breaker went. I resumed again and the breaker went a short time later.

Once I get the meter hooked up (wont be tomorrow, supposed to get close to 2" of rain all day) I'll check things out and put numbers to the findings. I have a 50a and 60a breaker to try also. My goal isn't to be able to actually weld all the way up at 300a, but I do want to be able to have the circuit old on at low to mid 200's. So with the meter I'll be able to put numbers to all this and see where I can really run - and thats the point. It is interesting, regardless, to see how high and far things will go, though.

Name:  20210508_180213.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  20210508_180608.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  154.5 KB

The bead on the "left" half of the bar, end outside of the vice, was what I ran. Under it was a 5/32 run of 7018 and to the right are 2 beads of 1/8" 7010 (end of the bar in the vice). On the double 6011 run about 1/4 way across the bar (1/2 way across that bead) is where the restart is. Not that it matters - the testing is amperage and the circuit, not welding. But it is interesting to see the results, I'm sure. It was quite the hot ride.

Name:  20210508_184218.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  147.2 KB
    Last edited by FlyFishn; 05-08-2021 at 10:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excuses, yada, yada, yada and changing the subject. Listen carefully to what people with experience on welders, power cords and power supply are telling you. Don't mean to be so harsh. I'll blame it on all meds I'm taking. I think your welding is coming along great!