Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy an ornamental bender ( Need recommendations)

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy an ornamental bender ( Need recommendations)

I'm looking to purchase a smaller ornamental bender for scrolls, bending, and shaping of smaller material. I have looked at a few different choices ane believe something like the Grizzly G7153 or KAKA SBG-40 would be what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with these smaller bench top benders or have a recommendation as to what I should look at instead. looking to add some decorative pieces to my work to make it stand out. Let me know what you use and why. Thanks in advance.

- Ricky Bobby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy an ornamental bender ( Need recommendations)

The Harbor Freight bender with scroll attachment is a good value for what you want. They have been out of stock and hard to find but they told me they should be back in stock this month August.

Not sure about their scroll attachment availability.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

3. Likes JimmyC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Burt. I actually looked at that one before as well and it looks like that scroll attachment is super difficult to get a hold of. I do like the price on the bender though.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a book to add to your library. Available for pennies online and well worth it!

Name:  bent ironwork.JPG
Views: 652
Size:  11.1 KB

I've not found small benders to be very helpful, honestly. The Kaka seems very cheap and I don't know that it'll handle up to 1/4" thickness even if that's within the specs. One of the things I've always disliked about the scrolling tools is that the leave the end of the scroll flat were it has to pinch to grab it.

6. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Here's a book to add to your library. Available for pennies online and well worth it!

Name:  bent ironwork.JPG
Views: 652
Size:  11.1 KB

I've not found small benders to be very helpful, honestly. The Kaka seems very cheap and I don't know that it'll handle up to 1/4" thickness even if that's within the specs. One of the things I've always disliked about the scrolling tools is that the leave the end of the scroll flat were it has to pinch to grab it.
    I bought that book when you recommended it a few years back.
    :

8. Likes DavidR8, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I bought that book...
    Hope you found it worth the while! I probably read through it once a quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up a Shop Outfitter bench top scroller. It claims inch 3/16 flat bar, and it was around $260 shipped. It seemed to me the best capability for the price out there, made is USA. The more you pay the more capable in terms of thickness.

It is supposed to arrive friday. I’ll try to report back if I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the shop outfitter bender for over 10 years. I also have a HF version which is a knock off from shop outfitters.

If it's a beat the hell out of the tool, I use the HF one, if I want good quality and repeatable bends, I use the shop outfitters one. They change interchange dies as they are the same measurements. The shop outfitters pins are much stronger and better made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The smartest solution IMO is to buy the harbor freight, and change the pins out for 5/8" grade 8 bolts or hitch pins (my setup).

If you use pins that are long enough with a stop (stop collar) to stick out of the top, it makes certain bends much faster as you don't have to weave them through the pins/bender, you just pull them up and out (videos will show hossfeld type benders with pins on top for use )

Post Thanks / Like

The smartest solution IMO is to buy the harbor freight, and change the pins out for 5/8" grade 8 bolts or hitch pins (my setup).

If you use pins that are long enough with a stop (stop collar) to stick out of the top, it makes certain bends much faster as you don't have to weave them through the pins/bender, you just pull them up and out (videos will show hossfeld type benders with pins on top for use )

Post Thanks / Like

I did that with my hf bender. It worked well within capacity of the arrangement. It motivated me to buy an American Bender. Bent 1/2x1.5" bar into a 2 inch 3/4 ring working on too. Too bend uses less material if the bending dog is used. Also, great way to make spirals to form rings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

Pictures?
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shop Outfitter bench top scroller. Used it the other day to make a dog dish holder. Picture 2" of marble on topName:  IMG_3507.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  125.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I've always disliked about the scrolling tools is that the leave the end of the scroll flat were it has to pinch to grab it.
    Vaughn, why couldn't one merely taper the starting end of the scroll to make it more aesthetic or does the bar need to have a squared end for the scroller to grab it? I ask because I have never used one of the commercial scrolling tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Vaughn, why couldn't one merely taper the starting end of the scroll to make it more aesthetic or does the bar need to have a squared end for the scroller to grab it? I ask because I have never used one of the commercial scrolling tools.
    I'm quite certain that could be done.

To minimize the flat area I usually try to PREbend the start which makes it easier to "touch up" later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    It's not a question of tapering the ends, but how the machines hold the end so they can begin bending. It's basically like clamping the end in a vise and then scrolling the rest -- no matter what the rest looks like, you'll always have that flat spot which was clamped in the vise.

You can see it pretty nicely in this pic. The end that's caught in the scroller has to jam against the sides to hold, and thus remains flat. You go through all that trouble to make a curl that naturally draws the eye around it.... only to end up at a jarring finial that seems entirely out of place. All commercially-available benders operate on the same principle -- making it really easy to see which scrolls are machine-made and which are forged by a blacksmith.

Post Thanks / Like

Vaughn
    What type of scroll bender is that? Nice

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a question of tapering the ends, but how the machines hold the end so they can begin bending. It's basically like clamping the end in a vise and then scrolling the rest -- no matter what the rest looks like, you'll always have that flat spot which was clamped in the vise.
    It may be too much trouble, but what if one made a triangular wedge(s) to slip in the vise end to take up the space left by the taper, then it would have a "flat, square" end to grab. Might prevent the ugly straight end.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this shop built one for $5..

and sold it last fall for $195...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

23. Likes Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Homemade jigs for simple repetition ....

Diacro for manual “production” work..

and the “original” smaller Hossfeld #1 or Junior....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

25. Likes VaughnT, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All commercially-available benders operate on the same principle -- making it really easy to see which scrolls are machine-made and which are forged by a blacksmith.
    I'd love to learn to blacksmith, however I run into logistical issues when I think about investing in tools. I've considered getting an oxy fuel rig, but I'd like to store the tanks outside and I don't have the space. Storing flammable gasses vs inert gasses is a big setup in in the safety department esp in residential zones.

I think we can agree there is something awesome about the look of forced pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    What type of scroll bender is that?
    That's a "home made" jobbie from a Youtube guy. He makes a ton of equipment and seems to do a pretty good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arc_Shepherd View Post
    I'd love to learn to blacksmith, however I run into logistical issues when I think about investing in tools. I've considered getting an oxy fuel rig, but I'd like to store the tanks outside and I don't have the space. Storing flammable gasses vs inert gasses is a big setup in in the safety department esp in residential zones.
    Getting a propane forge set up isn't very expensive or dangerous. If you can run a propane grill in your neighborhood, you can run a propane forge. One's no more troublesome than the next.

As for tooling, it's really a question of perseverance. The Sutton Hoo hoard, for example, was all made with next to nothing in the way of tooling, certainly nothing you couldn't find at the local hardware store. But what they lacked in fancy equipment, they more than made up for in dedication and sticktoittiveness! There's a lot of neat stuff you can build that's still small and manageable, like in the Bent Ironwork book I referenced above.

Post Thanks / Like

Do propane forges require mixed gas like an oxy fuel rig? Ex oxy cylinder required?

29. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not usually.... google home made forges and you'll find everything from brake rotor forges that use coal to some very fancy propane versions that use forced air from fans to up the oxygen content. Some day I'd still like to build one that uses 02, but the rest of these guys will tell you not to hold your breath waiting... it's on a very long list of projects. If you're new to the site, read through the 2 forging threads above in the "Stickies" section... lots of info there.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

31. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arc_Shepherd View Post
    Do propane forges require mixed gas like an oxy fuel rig? Ex oxy cylinder required?
    No.

A venturi burner runs straight from your propane tank and draws in air through the burner as a result of the "venturi" effect. They're the most common because they're the most economical, but you can also get a "blown" burner that put a fan in the pipeline. Both use regular ol' air to maximize the combustion of the propane, but the blown burners are more efficient and require less propane to get to the same temps.

If you can run a propane bbq grill, you can run a propane forge. The only difference between the two is the burner and insulation.