+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting Steel

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Steel

Why do some people use a worm drive skill saw to cut steel. can i just use a normal skill saw with a blade for steel. i assume it has somthing to do with rmps???i need to make a 20' cut on 1/4" steel plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting Steel

Yes, the saws made for metal use a slower speed. A cutting torch or plasma would be the fastest but if you don't have either why not use a cutting wheel in a 7" or heavy duty 5" grinder? Just use the better quality cutting blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Worm drive saws do turn slower than a standard circular saw. Not sure if they are slow enough though. Also not sure they would be protected form metal chips like a metal cutting saw would be.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

How come you get all the good jobs ? I frequently run into situations where a torch or plasma can't be used. Circular saw is my least favorite options. Originally there were only abrasive wheel, but now you have thin .045" thick 4.5" grinder wheels, and carbide tipped 7"and 8"saw blades circular saws. RPM, and thickness must match the blade on the circular saw or they won't last too long. Worm drives have a lot more torque, but less RPM. I have a Milwaukee metal cutting saw, and it sure sounds the same as a regular saw. I have used it alot on aluminum, but noisy, and messy. The edge needs almost no touch up before welding. Steel is the same, just goes slower, and hotter(probably why they need the Torque) Do you have a roller magnet to pick up the little hot metal shards that will be every where. Almost as fun as using a die-grinder on stainless steel.

Good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

plasma with a flat bar as a guide worked the best. after i wasted $70 on blades

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist