+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hobart 210MVP Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart 210MVP Problem

Hello,
    I purchased this Hobart 210MVP many years ago and it has been flawless and problem-free since 2013. I used it yesterday with no problems in welding 1/8" and 1/4" mild steel using 0.035 wire with argon/co2 shielding gas. I only use 230V and not the 115V.
    However, today, on voltage setting 3 (trying to weld 1/8" mild steel), there is a lot of sputtering and the weld wire is pushing the metal and not causing the arc for a fraction of a second (sputtering). I tried voltage setting 4 and it works fine, but setting 3 and 2 does this.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my welder? Does Hobart sell spare parts (like switch, dials, transformer, etc.)?

Stan
    -
    - This space for rent. Inquire within.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart 210MVP Problem

I haven't been inside that model before, but I would start by checking the outlet and plug to anything loose. Then I'd check the work clamp and wire back to the terminal in the machine for anything loose. Then I'd check that the bolt securing the whip to the feeder is tight and the positive lead to the feeder is tight. It wouldn't hurt to remove the whip and blast it with compressed air and make sure the diffuser and contact tips are in good shape. Lastly I'd remove the cover, hit the inside with compressed air and take a look at the back of the rotary tap selector.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I haven't been inside that model before, but I would start by checking the outlet and plug to anything loose. Then I'd check the work clamp and wire back to the terminal in the machine for anything loose. Then I'd check that the bolt securing the whip to the feeder is tight and the positive lead to the feeder is tight. It wouldn't hurt to remove the whip and blast it with compressed air and make sure the diffuser and contact tips are in good shape. Lastly I'd remove the cover, hit the inside with compressed air and take a look at the back of the rotary tap selector.
    I took the whip apart and removed the liner and blasted both with compressed air. Since I had the whip removed, I replaced the two o-rings as well. I made sure the polarity connections (for the whip and the clamp) were clean and tight. I didn't try the welder out as I was tired last night. I will open up the cover and check the connections inside. Thank you for your suggestions.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

I checked the rotary switch (voltage adjustment) and the switch has continuity on the proper terminals (and open-circuit on the others). I tested all 7 positions. The inside of the chassis is very clean (because I keep in indoors.

I tested the Hobart 210 MVP using the 115V plug and switched the settings to 4, 5, 6, 7. It has that odd sputtering problem on all of those 4 settings.

So basically my welder will only work on voltage settings 4, 5, 6, and 7 using only the 230V plug. I can't weld thin materials at all. I tried calling Hobart tech support but they were closed.

Anyone know of common problems with the 210 MVP?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Are you remembering to set WFS and voltage as a pair of variables?

WFS is your amperage and controls penetration.

Voltage controls the bead height and width. Need enough to make it run right at the WFS that is set.

It's a balance, too little volts for the WFS causes the "problem" you describe.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

6. Likes MilitiaMetals liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Are you remembering to set WFS and voltage as a pair of variables?

WFS is your amperage and controls penetration.

Voltage controls the bead height and width. Need enough to make it run right at the WFS that is set.

It's a balance, too little volts for the WFS causes the "problem" you describe.
    I have been using this welder since 2013. Now that I am forced to use setting 4-7, I am burning holes in sheet metal.

Also, I have been using the welder on Wednesday and had no problems on setting 3 with 1/8 steel. On Thursday, went to weld the exact same steel and can’t get it to weld right. I have my WFS set at 40 both times. I didn’t move the welder at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanward View Post
    I have been using this welder since 2013. Now that I am forced to use setting 4-7, I am burning holes in sheet metal.

Also, I have been using the welder on Wednesday and had no problems on setting 3 with 1/8 steel. On Thursday, went to weld the exact same steel and can’t get it to weld right. I have my WFS set at 40 both times. I didn’t move the welder at all.

Turn your WFS down...

WFS is your amps and controls penetration (depth of fusion).
    Volts are not your only variable.
    What setting does your door chart suggest?
    It's often very close.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Turn your WFS down...

WFS is your amps and controls penetration (depth of fusion).
    Volts are not your only variable.
    What setting does your door chart suggest?
    It's often very close.
    Sorry, this still doesn’t answer the question why the welder would work fine on Wednesday and Thursday on it wouldn’t.

5/40 for 11ga.

-

Post Thanks / Like

Crap! I figured it out. One of my kids must've rotated the ArgonCO2 gas flow. It was off the charts beyond 60cfm (my meter only reads up to 60cfm). Turned it back down to 20 and all is well.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Crap! I figured it out. One of my kids must've rotated the ArgonCO2 gas flow. It was off the charts beyond 60cfm (my meter only reads up to 60cfm). Turned it back down to 20 and all is well.
    Haha....now that's the kind of fix I like!

Having had similar things happen....starting a weld with the valve closed, or the flow valve moved way off what it should be, now I try to make it a point to check the flow rate before I even try to weld anything. It's a lot easier than grinding out porosity and cussing at myself when I'm trying to get something done

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Haha....now that's the kind of fix I like!

Having had similar things happen....starting a weld with the valve closed, or the flow valve moved way off what it should be, now I try to make it a point to check the flow rate before I even try to weld anything. It's a lot easier than grinding out porosity and cussing at myself when I'm trying to get something done
    Do they make a gas regulator that is lockable? The dial on mine is easy to spin.

-

Post Thanks / Like

Do they make a gas regulator that is lockable? The dial on mine is easy to spin.
    That's a great question and a great idea, but I don't know if such a thing exists. I have flow meters with the small knob on all my machines now, but I've used regulators with the handle and can see them being even easier to bump. It would be nice if they had a friction ring or something you could turn to keep them from getting easily bumped.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't weld on a regular basis so I check my gas flow setting each time before I start....just a habit I started

Been frustrating I know, but glad it was an easy fix.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist