1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

John,
    from last week:
    Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Left the job welding the dump truck boxes up today which I loved. tested at 2 places today. Structural steel building welding at the first place running 1/16 730 core wire and did a 3/8 might have been 1/2” horizontal weld and ran about 5 passes on it. At first I was thinking 3 passes but undercut the top edge some and the weld sagged a bit so did 2-3 more passes and it came out good and it passed visual and bending but hours didn’t work for me staring at 4 am so looked on the net again and found a tig-mig job doing cab guards and tool boxes, not pro tech but even more fancy. Ran some tig on 1/8 on a dynasty 200 which didn’t have any balls like a transformer. He had it at 180 and I turned it up. Ran everything good on tig and the lead guy was happy with it and the spool gun was setup insanely fast. Ran 2’ in about 10-12 seconds about out of control but came out ok. Haven’t tigged since December welding the air tank for my chainsaw. Close to the house too. No pics since my phone is full.
    Fair play moto

Apart from hating on the Dynasty... not sure why you need so many amps on 1/8", you must be backing wayyy off the pedal after the initial light up.
    Last edited by Munkul; 05-27-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    John,
    from last week:

Fair play moto
    I read that.
    all it says is he left a job he "loved"
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

4. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    You can burn decent flux-core but aren't in the same league as say Ttoks on here.
    I would guess very few here are in league with Ttoks. I can barely manage a grinder!

Post Thanks / Like

This place is a focking Zoo. Can't share anything personal with out others casting stones. John is the biggest badest $hit throwing ape out of the bunch.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

7. Likes vwguy3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I would guess very few here are in league with Ttoks. I can barely manage a grinder!
    I agree... just saying Ttoks can probably name his price. Most other's except may someone like Shovelon not so much. I'm guessing Moto is looking for more money even though the dump box place really helped him out. People looking to get into welding would love a job welding dump boxes. I worked in a vessel shop building mostly large skids but occasionally had some other less desirable jobs. You have to take the good with the bad. Crawling on your belly 15ft. inside an 18in. ID fire tube to do an X-ray quality back weld on the 45 deg. cut elbow is NOT a fun job! A spark hits your trouble light and you have to crawl out backwards and then crawl in again. Nobody can help you and you're in the dark. The some idiot walks by and wraps the pipe with a hammer. %$&#@! a-hole! I've always said I'd take less pay for better working conditions any day not that that was a bad job. Just an example of a job nobody really wants. It was rewarding though that I was chosen to do it and it passed X-ray. Welding the outside of the pipes where they were only about 4-6in. apart was tricky too to get in the middle of the pipe from each side and have complete fusion. Had problems later on at that shop with a new plant manager but that's another story. New welders would love a job building dump boxes over being a welders helper grinding or getting all the crap jobs for a year. JohnT may be a bad *** but I think he was just cutting to the chase??? Another case of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Well, not always. I bet a lot of seasoned welders would like to finish their careers in a nice clean shop building new dump boxes to blueprints. I guess we will see if Moto made a good decision or not. I wonder if a raise was possible but only if he passed the test? I was told the only way I could get a raise was to get my pressure ticket. I took an after work course at the tech school to learn how but just wasn't ready at the time. The course was about $600 if I remember but well worth it regardless. I had the best root among about a dozen in the class except for the very bottom 3/4 of an inch. Figured out years later when I got my B pressure ticket I was in the wrong position to see what the puddle was doing and kind of guessing. There is no shame in not passing a test on the 1st try. Many take 3, 4 or more tests to get their pressure ticket(s). At over $100 a pop it can get expensive as all pressure tickets have to be renewed every 2 years. It's nice if the shop has a welding engineer so you can have in shop test to renew your tickets at no cost. Some shops pay the cost if you have to go to a 3rd party tester.

Hoping you made the right decision Moto. You may have. I'm just glad a really good friend is grooming my MX track and getting it open for me. I'm still a little ways away from even getting out there. Good luck!
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-27-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    This place is a focking Zoo. Can't share anything personal with out others casting stones. John is the biggest badest $hit throwing ape out of the bunch.
    It’s because he’s not happy inside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Can't share anything personal with out others casting stones.
    Nobody is casting stones, Mr. sensitive.
    I along with others simply questioned WHY you would leave a job that you supposedly "love"

when you put personal info on the internet, yes people will ask questions about seemingly stupid behavior.

Get over it.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

It’s because he’s not happy inside
    Actually, I did have some bad guacamole earlier.... I need to evacuate soon.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  4873EC6F-6127-470E-AE39-2472759709B8.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  132.5 KBi knew they were bluffing. Got the job back welding dump trucks and running core and hard wire

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get cocky and be an idiot about getting a second chance. If you do good it could open up other doors later on down the road. Good luck.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless, I’m glad you’re back at work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    Nothing like big paycheck and great feeling of welding again. 😃😀

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Regardless, I’m glad you’re back at work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're back working at a great job. They must have great people too! Don't take what they've said lightly either. Leave your personal life at home and like we've tried to instill, LISTEN better. There's a reason you have 2 ears and only 1 mouth. Treat your job as if you had your own business, number 1 rule is to show up on time everyday. I agree with Louie below that you are very lucky to get a second chance. Don't blow it!
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-11-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Nobody is casting stones, Mr. sensitive.
    I along with others simply questioned WHY you would leave a job that you supposedly "love"

when you put personal info on the internet, yes people will ask questions about seemingly stupid behavior.

Get over it.

I am going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that maybe his leaving that job wasn't voluntary. I mean in that text message we learn that Moto has trouble being on time and listening. If that's the case, he's lucky to get a second chance.

19. Likes Welder Dave, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    in that text message we learn that Moto has trouble being on time and listening. If that's the case, he's lucky to get a second chance.
    Not only that,
    His immediate reply shows his immaturity or lack of work ethic... either or both.

mark my words, he will screw this up.

i knew they were bluffing. Got the job back
    PS,
    Mon-Thurs is a PART TIME JOB.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  FC51DA23-A58C-4AD4-8055-2625CBB050D1.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  12.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

PS,
    Since when is 40 hours a week a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

mark my words, he will screw this up.

PS,
    Nope. He will grow from his experience like the rest of us have and do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

24. Likes motolife313, N2 Welding, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree... just saying Ttoks can probably name his price. Most other's except may someone like Shovelon not so much. I'm guessing Moto is looking for more money even though the dump box place really helped him out. People looking to get into welding would love a job welding dump boxes. I worked in a vessel shop building mostly large skids but occasionally had some other less desirable jobs. You have to take the good with the bad. Crawling on your belly 15ft. inside an 18in. ID fire tube to do an X-ray quality back weld on the 45 deg. cut elbow is NOT a fun job! A spark hits your trouble light and you have to crawl out backwards and then crawl in again. Nobody can help you and you're in the dark. The some idiot walks by and wraps the pipe with a hammer. %$&#@! a-hole! I've always said I'd take less pay for better working conditions any day not that that was a bad job. Just an example of a job nobody really wants. It was rewarding though that I was chosen to do it and it passed X-ray. Welding the outside of the pipes where they were only about 4-6in. apart was tricky too to get in the middle of the pipe from each side and have complete fusion. Had problems later on at that shop with a new plant manager but that's another story. New welders would love a job building dump boxes over being a welders helper grinding or getting all the crap jobs for a year. JohnT may be a bad *** but I think he was just cutting to the chase??? Another case of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Well, not always. I bet a lot of seasoned welders would like to finish their careers in a nice clean shop building new dump boxes to blueprints. I guess we will see if Moto made a good decision or not. I wonder if a raise was possible but only if he passed the test? I was told the only way I could get a raise was to get my pressure ticket. I took an after work course at the tech school to learn how but just wasn't ready at the time. The course was about $600 if I remember but well worth it regardless. I had the best root among about a dozen in the class except for the very bottom 3/4 of an inch. Figured out years later when I got my B pressure ticket I was in the wrong position to see what the puddle was doing and kind of guessing. There is no shame in not passing a test on the 1st try. Many take 3, 4 or more tests to get their pressure ticket(s). At over $100 a pop it can get expensive as all pressure tickets have to be renewed every 2 years. It's nice if the shop has a welding engineer so you can have in shop test to renew your tickets at no cost. Some shops pay the cost if you have to go to a 3rd party tester.

Hoping you made the right decision Moto. You may have. I'm just glad a really good friend is grooming my MX track and getting it open for me. I'm still a little ways away from even getting out there. Good luck!
    I know what you mean about bein the chosen one...I was and sometimes still am that guy they call to do what seems to be a nightmare. It gives your ego a boost knowin they got confidence in your abilities. Sometimes though it does get to be a pain in the butt.

26. Likes N2 Welding, 12V71, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It can really suck not being a fat guy in welding. You get stuck with the crappy tight quarters jobs.

28. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It can really suck not being a fat guy in welding. You get stuck with the crappy tight quarters jobs.
    Yup...Im anything but a fat guy, when I was a young snot and could wiggle around stuff and move a lot better than I do now, I was always doin that stuff...now not so much...they figger Im an old fart and paid my dues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Yup...Im anything but a fat guy, when I was a young snot and could wiggle around stuff and move a lot better than I do now, I was always doin that stuff...now not so much...they figger Im an old fart and paid my dues
    But can probably show them up if you want to!

Post Thanks / Like

But can probably show them up if you want to!
    Well...I dont mean to brag but...Im almost as good once as I ever was

Post Thanks / Like

you're not braggin Popeye, but the problem with the youngins is they don't want to listen to their elders and THINK that they know it all. Stay safe brother.

33. Likes Welder Dave, 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist