+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Respirators - good quality reusable?

Post Thanks / Like

Respirators - good quality reusable?

All,

What is a good quality reusable respirator?

For reference, I have a 3m similar to their 6000 series 1/2 face respirator with P100 filters but the primary issue I have with it is it does not seem to fit well. That and after wearing it for a few hours it is pretty uncomfortable.

What I'm after is a more comfortable respirator with a better fit.

I have not welded with the respirator, so I am not sure if it fits under my hood, but I can try. That would be important also so I can cut back on breathing fumes from time to time. I have mostly used the respirator to not breathe dust when sweeping barn or garage floors, abrasive dust when cutting/grinding, and more recently while painting. I just sense I'm not getting a good seal as I can still smell things I'm grinding on and paint fumes.

I don't know anything about respirators other than what I've seen at the stores, which is where my 3m came from about 4-5 years ago, so what are the "nice to haves" and what are the "will do the jobs"?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respirators - good quality reusable?

For paint fumes the organic-vapor cartridges work pretty good. I use those simply because I got a ton of them for free. They are way better than the P100/pancake filters because those are more for particulate filtering with some carbon-filtration of fumes as well.

If the 6000 series does not fit well, you may want to try the 7500 series. I've found the 7500 series has a much more pliable silicone seal and they just seem overall "larger", size-for-size. Also, you have to be pretty clean shaven for them to actually work. No 1/2 face respirator will work if you have a beard.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one. I find it comfortable and affordable. Also fits well under my hood.

https://www.safetyservicesinc.com/de...ct/4-11007190/

Comfort is a relative thing.

4. Dislikes CrookedRoads disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 what oscar said.
    The organic vapor cartridges are for most paints(rattle can stuff), indicated by color of cartridge. You shouldn't be able to smell paint fumes if its fitted, and working properly. Most P100 cartridges will let some smell through.

4 or 5 years is pretty old, most of the time the elastic straps, and the valves start to degrade.
    You should probably purchase a new mask now, they aren't terribly expensive. The 3M respirators come in 3 or 4 sizes now, so you may find one fits better than another. I like the 7500 series for the reasons Oscar lists, and also because the exhaust valve is shrouded downward. This helps with reducing fogging when worn under a welding helmet. After you purchase a new mask, its a good idea to read the directions for testing , and use. Your old mask may have a bad exhale valve (possibly why you could smell fumes). The manual states you should check before every use.

I have other types of masks 3M, north , Honeywell, etc, welding,, and particulate with one, and two straps. Most of the older ones are the big white filter on you face with valve in middle, don't seem to seal as well, and get hotter than the fitted silicone/rubber ones. They seem heavier too. The Honeywell mask DeeVeloper shows looks like a combination of both fitted mask, and big filter.

Honestly, you have to try some to see what you like. Hope you find something that is relatively comfortable for you.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I used the north 7700 half mask. Nice flexible silicone mask, as comfortable as they get. Most of the time I use the purple organic vapor cartridges for painting. Get the pre filters if you can find them, it helps the cartridges last a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like

The key thing you are looking for is a silicone rubber face seal. Far more comfortable than the TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) that the cheaper masks are made of. If you can try on a couple, you will see what fits you best. The right size is also very important for comfort, along with silicone rubber. Every major manufacturer has both TPE and silicone models.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the 3M 7500. I've been using one for close to two years now and I love it. Comfortable, very good seal and no more fogging of welding helmet and safety glasses.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wearing the Miller P100 for a couple of years now and it has fit under every hood I've owned even including pancakes. It's so nice I don't like welding without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I've been wearing the Miller P100 for a couple of years now and it has fit under every hood I've owned even including pancakes. It's so nice I don't like welding without one.
    The Miller respirators are made by Elipse. I have one branded as a Miller and another branded as Elipse.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist