+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How cheap can you go??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cheap can you go??

hi. whitbaron.. I just buy the 50 amp consumables for mine. And I just keep it on the max setting for everything
    For farm shop work. the width of the cut doesn't matter much
    If you have the PT 31 torch Just Google PT 31 consumables on E Bay the choices are endless.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    hi. whitbaron.. I just keep it on the max setting for everything

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this is what I do also. Crank it up to the max and adjust my travel speed accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this is what I do also. Crank it up to the max and adjust my travel speed accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I usually do the same thing if I'm doing straight cuts.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... these cheapies seem to have a lot of comments suggesting that if you get a good one, it can last a couple yrs... if you get a poor one it will likely die in the first 15 minutes so I've been starting on the cautious side given some of Brand X's remarks on his experiences as well. I thought I was in trouble today. We were going to give it it's first real workout removing a truck hoist from a parts truck. I was hoping my son would wait until I got out there, but I was greeted with the dreaded, "Well, it worked for 10 minutes and now it won't cut..." Turns out they forgot to turn the compressor on, so I'm still running. I've been running it at 40 amps instead of the max 51, and resting every couple minutes... and so far it's working like a trooper.
    Name:  IMG_5617.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  119.5 KB

Bottom half of the hoist was coming off of the red Dodge in the foreground and getting attached to the green 53 IHC in the background. He ripped the grain box off hauling gravel and it didn't leave pretty. The little Cut50 got it's part of the job done... we still have a way to go. With the little plasma I was able to cut out all the welds without getting into the frame rails or damaging the hoist. Pretty sure I wouldn't have pulled that off with the cutting torch. Maybe I'll get a little braver now and push it to 45.

Name:  IMG_5647.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  123.2 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 04-04-2021 at 11:53 PM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great it worked out so well for you BrandX puts up a wealth of great info ,anyway its always worked out for me.. another thing iv found that's how you some times get these great open box deals on this plasmas and that on amazon because they weren't correctly setup. Proof of that's on youtube half the time things like a ground over thick rust or paint stuff like that
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think the little machines that have IGBT circuits are head, and shoulders better then most of the older Mosfet units.. I have pushed the little Arc-sonic 35i pretty hard, and probably would of blown up the older models.. It also seems the cheaper 120 volt stick machines from Northern tool (Ironton)are very well put together $80.00 units.. There is a floor on those, but I am just surprised at the level they are at for the money.. That is comparing them to quality little Thermal-arc Japan units..

Northern tool does use these guys for many machines, and so does Blue Demon. Both Jim, and I have found the little Klutch units to work as well as anything you will find by anyone. Actually prefer the arc quality over high dollar units. We have yet to have a problem with any of them.. The Plasma cutters are pretty good, but I rather have the 120 volt cheap unit because $92, and works off of my generator perfect..

https://www.hugongwelds.com/product/1.htm
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Well, WeldStop is an alternative , but not as cheap for me. I got $50 in consumables but it cost me an extra $50 in freight... still cheaper than the LWS I supposed, but I'll be looking for Cdn. alternatives. Hopefully the Chinese plasma outlasts the consumables I bought. Still not sure what it's going to cost me to get it over the border.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Yep,
    I probably have more consumables then needed too.Main thing is the little arc sonic and senco compressor works well on my MQ-6000 generator. It's a little too much for my friends new open frame Champion 120 volt only 4250 generator. All the little newer 120 volt stick welders work well off of that unit.. One that does not run off the smaller generator is my Original PeeWee 85s Thermal-arc.. Those were about $500 when they came out years ago.. The little Blue-Demon 90sti and NT Ironton 80t work perfect on the new inverter generator.. The $69 amazon Blue Demon, (bought 3, and sold 2)plus going on my second Ironton 80t tomorrow.(sold 1) Just for a heads up shootout to see which one I like best.. These machines are a big step up from the super low quality/amazon/ebay units..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got the spare tips and I tried the "extended" nickel plated ones last night. Better, but it still won't cut 1/2" hard plate maxed out at 51 amps and 70 lbs air. Looks like about 13/32" is the max... still not bad. The extended tips turned out to be exactly the same length as what I had ... I haven't tried the short ones yet.

Name:  IMG_5925-001.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  119.0 KBName:  IMG_5927-001.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  83.3 KBName:  IMG_5930-001.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  69.8 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would update the cheap part of this thread..

Found a beat up Thermal Dynamics Pakmaster 50 for $150.00 on Marketplace.. Came with a pretty new SL60 RPT torch, old SL60 torch with a burned up air line..(Parts) Also some factory consumable stuff, and probably over what I paid for the machine..Was DOA as far as these guys knew.. The PIP light was on, but probably just wired wrong in the adapter.. Anyway, found some loose pins/wires on the adapter,and sure as heck it fired up. Outputs about 38 amps, and is in spec for a 35 amp machine..The 40 amps nozzles, and shielded cup is a good system. 25 year + old, but cuts nice, and will sever .750 with some effort. Torches on Thermal's are stupid high cost now. This will b a pretty good unit, since it uses the same consumables as I use on my 60i cutter. These are old school heavy units but who care if it cuts for a while..Just wanted the torches anyway..
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a good deal Scott. Man you sure do wheel and deal a lot “thumbs up”
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

It's mostly that I don't want to fill my shop up with all China made stuff.. It has it's place for sure, but if you know about old school stuff, might as well use that knowledge.
    I was looking at the Cutmaster 40 at Airgas yesterday . Had a tiny USA sticker on the back Could not tell if it's assembled in USA or made here.Either way, nice machine, but the $150 clunker will really perform in my shop about as well.. Going to run some precision gouging setup on this and see what happens.. Just some large nozzles, and or factory gouging stuff. I bet it works pretty well, because it has a decent arc transfer with the Hi freq start..

I am really thrilled with the CV-353 Esab for a Dual-shield only unit.

Anyway, it's like you can't fix the new stuff, and old stuff is not worth fixing.. In a home shop, old broken down stuff makes huge sense..(if it still works that is..
    Last edited by Brand X; 03-12-2022 at 12:01 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

All my stuff is old and lots of it around before we had a forum like this. I have bought some new along the way, some cheap hand tools that worked out wayyyyyy better than we ever thought they would. I tried cheaper stuff earlier and it wasnt there yet, it has really come of age. Aint no way today the cost wouldnt be on the top of the list and some of it is so tempting even if I dont need it,,, ha I bought my 2050 thinking I might be in plants which I was on occasion,,, moved it 4 ft since I bought it. If it spits it up tomorrow going to shop differently.

Post Thanks / Like

The stick is so cheap that its worth the convenience if only on occasion. Fast payback. Could literally buy one for an event if needed. Lots of talk about gensets with these but from the wall its outstanding. I can thionk of a couple times on out of town deals or save a rental,,,, would have bought one on the spot with 5# of 3/32 lohy.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-12-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

150 for the cutter was a good gamble. Different math too than 750. Like you said, core parts are worth it to you, the effort multiplied the return when the thing worked and wouldnt have been a gut wrencher if it didnt. This technology has offered a new deal for the wheel,,, it was hard to deal one off back in the day. Now a lot of competition to give the little player a brake and with some imagination could be a hobby didnt cost money if a guy can sell,
    I paid more than that for a walki talkie back in the day was obsolete 6 monjths after I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at USA built welders like a Miller 220 AC/DC (talking to my Airgas friend yesterday) They started out just under 2 grand when they first came out,,Now they are almost 4 grand.. Not sure where this is going for them or others? Long product delays on top of that. Months out an engine drives..

I did pick up one one more $69.00 Blue demon stick unit.. Sell my Thermal 95s and pocket the change. The other Blue demon 120 volt machine 140 mig/stick has much better output then the Thermal on 120 volts.. Uses the same energy at the same amps.. so the light weight 90i is a pretty good little option for me..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I just aint that fascinated with an old Dialarc. There is nothing wrong with them but there isnt much new either. I aint all that nostalgic about being under a hood. In reality,,, the cheapest machines I bought have been the best returners.
    Rolls of wire the a 180 class and boxes with a DC buzzer. I have used the other, its just another machine, its a good one but I dont come all over myself when I see one. I really dont have a use for it and I suspect a hobby type, Joe Suburb has even less. I mean ypou can run 3/32 on it just fine but it can be a lot of effort unless prepared to deal with its drawbacks. I know,,, we can cobble it to a dryer plug,,, but why? Kind of defeats the point doesnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

Would also be different question at 690$ instead of 69. Especially if it will do the work. Not every weld that attaches to a 1/2 plate is 1/2. Dont a pickup load of attachments, 1/4 to 1/2 with 3/16 weld. Highly inspected, highly engineered. My bud said they use Maxstars for it now. Back then, used a 400A machine with 4/0 lead to a 60# resistor to run 92A and 120 on occasion.
    What was a real deal was all vert and oh and in some spots you see a few pics here on occasion,,, but some real dandys got to put some bends in the rod to get to and the quality need to be flawless, you goof up and its a real chore to fix. Almost all multi pass at some point and NO 6010 allowed in the place, all root tig for pipe and only 7018 for structural.
    I can see where the new arc start features would be a real help. Lots of this type of thing but well prepped and well cleaned/finished. This would have problems passing, some of it could be finished out, a little not wetted at the toe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-12-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As for fixing stuff upo, a little if its simple but I dontrt know one part from another or what fits what, never replaced a non stock part on any feeder I own. I hate all that fussing, I wanna use the thing. Most of the time I want it NOW. Good share of the things I do dont know I was going to do them till then.
    All my stuff is pretty much turnkey,,, switched is more like it. I rarely have to move anything to do a common job which in the grand scheme involves a weld o0r 2 in many/most cases with projects scattered between. I can pull in to welding bay and have outside apron for practical seasonal chores.

Post Thanks / Like

The place I got this cutter from was a huge high-end old school farm 1/2 grass seed, and 1/2 filbert trees. The guy just had them buy a few neverlast machines to have around.. They would farm out the ac welding and a cheaper China tig was a no brainier to have on hand.The maintenance guy just bought a $1000 plasma, since they really don't use it all the time. Probably never figured out how handy a little bit of fine gouging can come in handy. The Thermal works there well, and cuts very nice.. I just used it for a few hours trying different things.. I would not buy a $1700 Cutmaster 40 for a performance upgrade. Although if you moved it every day the smaller newer unit would be smart.. I would just use my built in 120 volt Aircut compressor model off my many genny for anything 120.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I never gouge with my plasma, wouldnt even know how. I dont seem to have to cut as many welds apart as I used to. I lost my air arc in a fire and had to borrow one once. Someone came up on Hobart with some at a steal price and seems Rocky D and I each bought one, brandy new 50or 60$ maybe. Havnt used it yet. Seems I can grind or slash it off with plasma or torch. I am pretty crafty with hammer and adjustable wrench.
    Last edited by Sberry; 03-12-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I am pretty crafty with hammer and adjustable wrench.
    I am better with Pliers. As long as they are Knipex ..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I am a 440 Channelok guy, rarely use the 430 wimmins ones. That and number 9.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I am a 440 Channelok guy,.
    I've had my favorite pair of channel locks for about 40 years.

Used to use them to remove the zinc castings from an injection molding machine...... Used to make a lot of zinc Harley davidson parts.... I have a derby cover on my bike now... that I made way back when.

those old channel locks fit me like a pair of old jeans...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I've had my favorite pair of channel locks for about 40 years.

Used to use them to remove the zinc castings from an injection molding machine...... Used to make a lot of zinc Harley davidson parts.... I have a derby cover on my bike now... that I made way back when.

those old channel locks fit me like a pair of old jeans...
    How much do you know about 2000 to 2002 twin cams?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist