Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How cheap can you go??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cheap can you go??

hi. whitbaron.. I just buy the 50 amp consumables for mine. And I just keep it on the max setting for everything
    For farm shop work. the width of the cut doesn't matter much
    If you have the PT 31 torch Just Google PT 31 consumables on E Bay the choices are endless.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    hi. whitbaron.. I just keep it on the max setting for everything

Iím kind of embarrassed to admit this is what I do also. Crank it up to the max and adjust my travel speed accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this is what I do also. Crank it up to the max and adjust my travel speed accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I usually do the same thing if I'm doing straight cuts.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... these cheapies seem to have a lot of comments suggesting that if you get a good one, it can last a couple yrs... if you get a poor one it will likely die in the first 15 minutes so I've been starting on the cautious side given some of Brand X's remarks on his experiences as well. I thought I was in trouble today. We were going to give it it's first real workout removing a truck hoist from a parts truck. I was hoping my son would wait until I got out there, but I was greeted with the dreaded, "Well, it worked for 10 minutes and now it won't cut..." Turns out they forgot to turn the compressor on, so I'm still running. I've been running it at 40 amps instead of the max 51, and resting every couple minutes... and so far it's working like a trooper.
    Name:  IMG_5617.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  119.5 KB

Bottom half of the hoist was coming off of the red Dodge in the foreground and getting attached to the green 53 IHC in the background. He ripped the grain box off hauling gravel and it didn't leave pretty. The little Cut50 got it's part of the job done... we still have a way to go. With the little plasma I was able to cut out all the welds without getting into the frame rails or damaging the hoist. Pretty sure I wouldn't have pulled that off with the cutting torch. Maybe I'll get a little braver now and push it to 45.

Name:  IMG_5647.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  123.2 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:53 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great it worked out so well for you BrandX puts up a wealth of great info ,anyway its always worked out for me.. another thing iv found that's how you some times get these great open box deals on this plasmas and that on amazon because they weren't correctly setup. Proof of that's on youtube half the time things like a ground over thick rust or paint stuff like that
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    Esab 161 STL
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i

MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think the little machines that have IGBT circuits are head, and shoulders better then most of the older Mosfet units.. I have pushed the little Arc-sonic 35i pretty hard, and probably would of blown up the older models.. It also seems the cheaper 120 volt stick machines from Northern tool (Ironton)are very well put together $80.00 units.. There is a floor on those, but I am just surprised at the level they are at for the money.. That is comparing them to quality little Thermal-arc Japan units..

Northern tool does use these guys for many machines, and so does Blue Demon. Both Jim, and I have found the little Klutch units to work as well as anything you will find by anyone. Actually prefer the arc quality over high dollar units. We have yet to have a problem with any of them.. The Plasma cutters are pretty good, but I rather have the 120 volt cheap unit because $92, and works off of my generator perfect..

https://www.hugongwelds.com/product/1.htm
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Well, WeldStop is an alternative , but not as cheap for me. I got $50 in consumables but it cost me an extra $50 in freight... still cheaper than the LWS I supposed, but I'll be looking for Cdn. alternatives. Hopefully the Chinese plasma outlasts the consumables I bought. Still not sure what it's going to cost me to get it over the border.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Yep,
    I probably have more consumables then needed too.Main thing is the little arc sonic and senco compressor works well on my MQ-6000 generator. It's a little too much for my friends new open frame Champion 120 volt only 4250 generator. All the little newer 120 volt stick welders work well off of that unit.. One that does not run off the smaller generator is my Original PeeWee 85s Thermal-arc.. Those were about $500 when they came out years ago.. The little Blue-Demon 90sti and NT Ironton 80t work perfect on the new inverter generator.. The $69 amazon Blue Demon, (bought 3, and sold 2)plus going on my second Ironton 80t tomorrow.(sold 1) Just for a heads up shootout to see which one I like best.. These machines are a big step up from the super low quality/amazon/ebay units..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post