Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wear Bar Added to Snow Blower Skid

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wear Bar Added to Snow Blower Skid

The last hard surfacing rods I bought were branded from Shark, they seem to work ok and were a little cheaper than the name brand ones. I've used Stoody in the past and found the 5/32 harder to work with than the 1/8, but I was welding on cultivator shovels which is thinner material than you have. I did some hard facing on the skids for the blade this year and wish I'd done more. Gravel roads are very abrasive as well.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

The upper peninsula of Michigan gets a ton of snow. Here is a picture of ray snowblowing his driveway last week.

Name:  5ACA1F77-A39B-47A2-931D-3A2C762A8209.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  806.8 KB
    -Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Lincoln LE 31 MP & Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    The last hard surfacing rods I bought were branded from Shark, they seem to work ok and were a little cheaper than the name brand ones. I've used Stoody in the past and found the 5/32 harder to work with than the 1/8, but I was welding on cultivator shovels which is thinner material than you have. I did some hard facing on the skids for the blade this year and wish I'd done more. Gravel roads are very abrasive as well.
    I did purchase the hardfacing rods on EBay so they were slightly less than half price.

The hardfaced skids has lasted nearly two seasons. The hardfaced skid could go longer, but I would rather not wear the parent metal. The original skid without hardface only lasted one season. I don’t think that I will need very many rods to hardface the area in the red box.

Ray said that he will drop off the skids the next time he is in the lower peninsula of Michigan, which should be in a few weeks.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Post Thanks / Like

Manitoba gets it's fair share as well.... more in the forecast for this weekend.
    Name:  IMG_7773.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  61.9 KB

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Manitoba gets it's fair share as well.... more in the forecast for this weekend.
    Very often when it snows in the upper peninsula, it just rains in the lower peninsula. I am guessing that your snowfall is similar to what Ray gets in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Can either of you recommend a good stick hardface rod for this application?

-Don
    Would the hardfacing leave more marks or scratches on the concrete sidewalk? Sometimes on my little 40 foot wide property i do my elderly neighbors' sidewalks also. its just as easy to do 5 or 6 houses at a time as it is to do just mine. some have paving stones for a front walk.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    Would the hardfacing leave more marks or scratches on the concrete sidewalk? Sometimes on my little 40 foot wide property i do my elderly neighbors' sidewalks also. its just as easy to do 5 or 6 houses at a time as it is to do just mine. some have paving stones for a front walk.
    I have an asphalt driveway and a concrete sidewalk. I haven’t noticed any marks on either.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Post Thanks / Like

So I finally stick welded some Stoody XHC hardfacing rods on Ray’s skid. I made a solid pad of hardface on the wear are shown above. I also added a bead of hardface longitudinally on the edges of the skid. I did this because the wear was most severe on the edge of the skid.

Skid showing the hardface that I added.
    Name:  7B442642-11F6-4877-BC71-AFE4F47766B1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  174.3 KB

It took me a while to get nice looking beads. At $2 per electrode, I didn’t want to practice too much. The electrodes also behaved very differently compared to the Rockmount hardfacing electrodes that I previously used.

Here is the bottom view of both skids.
    Name:  92E5D4C6-87B1-4B3C-BAE3-648951A2096B.jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  1.18 MB

I painted the skids so they look nice. I used my 1000 watt shop light to help bake the paint.
    Name:  B7233B3E-CB88-4FE9-AD29-48E2865E9936.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  1.05 MB

-Don
    Last edited by Don52; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:26 PM.
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

10. Likes whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had to switch brands periodically due to availability as well. Some just like it hotter than others, and depending on what the parent material is, that can be an issue at times. Sometimes it's hard to make them pretty... some brands just seem to attach in gobs. I haven't done much since I got the DC so I'm looking forward to see what it can do relative to the old AC buzz boxes.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to switch brands periodically due to availability as well. Some just like it hotter than others, and depending on what the parent material is, that can be an issue at times. Sometimes it's hard to make them pretty... some brands just seem to attach in gobs. I haven't done much since I got the DC so I'm looking forward to see what it can do relative to the old AC buzz boxes.
    So true. On the first hardcoating application, one of the Rockmount electrodes would weld fine for about one inch and then extinguish. I checked with Rockmount and they said that my voltage was too high, which caused the rod to burn up a into the coating causing a deep cup on the end of the electrode. I switched from my Dynasty 200DX welder to the Lincoln 210 MP and it welded fine.

This time I had the opposite problem. I had to increase the arc length as I welded along to keep the arc going out. I found that increasing the DIG function and the welding current from 125 to 130 amps helped. The longitudinal welds on the edge of the skid were the last beads that I made and they went much better than the previous ones.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timrb View Post
    I don't know the first thing about snow blowers, so here comes a stupid question...

Since the skids seem to wear out in short order, isn't there some way to accomplish whatever it is they do with wheels?

Tim
    I had a Craftsman 1032 Driftbreaker Snowblower that had wheels on the auger housing (like this one):
    Name:  Craftsman Driftbreaker 2015-09-24 14.05.46.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  151.7 KB
    It was difficult to keep them from locking up with rust, so you had to keep up with lubrication.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So true. On the first hardcoating application, one of the Rockmount electrodes would weld fine for about one inch and then extinguish. I checked with Rockmount and they said that my voltage was too high, which caused the rod to burn up a into the coating causing a deep cup on the end of the electrode. I switched from my Dynasty 200DX welder to the Lincoln 210 MP and it welded fine.

This time I had the opposite problem. I had to increase the arc length as I welded along to keep the arc going out. I found that increasing the DIG function and the welding current from 125 to 130 amps helped. The longitudinal welds on the edge of the skid were the last beads that I made and they went much better than the previous ones.

-Don
    I wasn't a big fan of the Stoody's, but again, the 5/32 rods I had were too big for the job. Others on here seem to like them, but I prefer the Shark's. A neighbor dropped off a box of another brand for me to try too. Up here $3 to $5 Cdn./rod isn't uncommon.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked the Stoody 31 rods. Lays down a thick smooth bead when you get the amps set right.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I had an Ariens 1336, 13hp and 36" wide. It had a starting battery mounted on the front. The steel side shoes would dig into the concrete, especially the right side because of the weight of the battery. I made up a set of wheels for it. I took a flat, welded on a round for the axle and used bogie wheels from a Yamaha snowmobile. They only stuck out 1.25 - 1.5"
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

19. Dislikes WenValley disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I had an Ariens 1336, 13hp and 36" wide. It had a starting battery mounted on the front. The steel side shoes would dig into the concrete, especially the right side because of the weight of the battery. I made up a set of wheels for it. I took a flat, welded on a round for the axle and used bogie wheels from a Yamaha snowmobile. They only stuck out 1.25 - 1.5"
    If you still have it do you have a picture?

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Post Thanks / Like

Went back and checked my hard surface rod stash.... The Firepower and the Shark rods are the ones I've been using lately and they both worked well... the MG 769's are the ones I got for free that I haven't tried yet.
    Name:  IMG_8904.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_8903.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  71.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_8902.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  150.8 KB

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

If you still have it do you have a picture?

-Don
    Unfortunately, I do not. I kept the blower at my uncles house. When he passed away, my EX aunt gave MY $2500 Ariens 1336 blower to her F'n brother. And although I had the owners manual, with the serial number, and engine serial number, but no receipt because it was purchased over 20 years prior, the local police said I can't get it back.

However, I can describe exactly how it was done. A piece of maybe 1/8" flat bolted to the side of the blower where the shoe would bolt. The axle shaft was solid round, welded to the flat, in the diameter that fit the Yamaha bogie wheel. The axle had two grooves in it for snap rings to retain the wheel on the inner and outer. The axle was just long enough to keep the wheel as close as possible to the side of the blower.
    Did it grab some of the snow because it stuck out......Yes. But it was much better than the steel shoes. If it was clean concrete, the steel shoe would grab on the right side because this blower had a lawn tractor battery on the front. It really sucked to have to fight it. The wheel did help. But now they run the poly shoes which I think would be the best choice if you can try them.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"