+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project weld a nut to the Transmission pan to add a drain bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The Bronco started running like crap almost sounds like a misfire or burned valve or something. I noticed it after driving it to ford for a new OEM Temp switch / sending unit. First the PSOM took a crap so I replaced the whole instrument cluster. Now that all the gauges are finally working as they should, the motor decides to start running like crap.

It it seems like every time I turn around it’s something else going wrong with this truck.

I still want to get a TracLoc out of a JY truck to put in this one but still need to rebuild / replace all the u joints in the driveline before I spend money /time on the rear axle carrier. Nickels and dimes one day and thing at a time.

Her is a quick less than 30 sec vid of how it’s running atm.

have u tried a wet/dry compression check, i usualy jump to worst case scenario first (so i can rule it out), and work backerds. glad 2 see ur being safe and observing covid, got the covid , uhh, by chance, did u ever play the french horn when in school
    Last edited by 123weld; 10-25-2020 at 02:32 AM.

2. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just like having clean hands is the reason for the HF gloves in the vid. Never learned to play any instrument. Well I did get a Yamaha electric keyboard for Christmas one year that I wish I still had. I never took any lessons so never really learned how to play it.

Getting to the plugs on this truck is a real pita being how tall it is and how the air conditioning is cramping the engine bay on the passenger side. I'll do a compression test if / when the new plug wires don't fix the problem and before I pull the distributor to replace the crank sensor / pick up coil.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I just like having clean hands is the reason for the HF gloves in the vid. Never learned to play any instrument. Well I did get a Yamaha electric keyboard for Christmas one year that I wish I still had. I never took any lessons so never really learned how to play it.

Getting to the plugs on this truck is a real pita being how tall it is and how the air conditioning is cramping the engine bay on the passenger side. I'll do a compression test if / when the new plug wires don't fix the problem and before I pull the distributor to replace the crank sensor / pick up coil.
    I wouldn't bother with a comptest... that kind of thing is highly unlikely... however we did use one on a caddy about 25 years ago that showed a valve spring had broke because the operator had ran it in 2nd gear from here to cali.... took it to the dealer before bringing it to us... they told her it was a flat cam $$$$.$$ we had it running after a few hours and a 8 dollar spring from the national in town Since you already know something is hokey with the ignition I'd keep on that trail

5. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    My '77 Ford had the dual tanks too - manual selector behind the seat where I could just reach it when the fuel ran dry in tank 1.

Drove that truck all over the country when in the air force, it's been waiting for me to rebuild the truck since the 90's...
    Took a pic this morning.. here's where my 77' XLT F150 has it's switch... we had a 75' that had the switch/lever under/behind the seat though. And yes I still have pretty much every vehicle I ever bought
    Name:  77f150-fuel-switch1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  107.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Took a pic this morning.. here's where my 77' XLT F150 has it's switch... we had a 75' that had the switch/lever under/behind the seat though. And yes I still have pretty much every vehicle I ever bought
    Name:  77f150-fuel-switch1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  107.6 KB
    Thought for sure there was going to be an 8 track player in the dash picture.
    Mike

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Thought for sure there was going to be an 8 track player in the dash picture.
    I'll get ya' a pic of something a bit older out here in a bit

Post Thanks / Like

I if / when the new plug wires don't fix the problem a
    if u think u got a bad wire, u can pull them off one at a time while eng running. if u dont hear a significant stumble/miss, u may a removed the bad wire. just remove wire(s) from top of cap w/ something insulated. they make a chintsy inulated pliers for just that, or u insulate a pair real easy/quick like

Post Thanks / Like

I know for a fact the # 5 cyl spark plug wire is dead. It was stretched out accross the valve cover just barely long enough to make the connection. When I pulled that wire off the plug the engine ran the same.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok new wires solved the problem FTW

I can still detect a very very slight hiccup in the exhaust but it's not sucking it back in through the tail pipe any more like in the video. I also notice a slight hesitation when I rap the throttle from idle to WOT. I'm thinking I should inspect the TPS, EGR and ignition Timing.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[FONT="]Ok new wires solved the problem FTW [/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]

I can still detect a very very slight hiccup in the exhaust but it's not sucking it back in through the tail pipe any more like in the video. I also notice a slight hesitation when I rap the throttle from idle to WOT. I'm thinking I should inspect the TPS, EGR and ignition Timing.
    Wouldn't hurt to check all that stuff and any other sensors you can get specs for of have a test procedure of some sort... did you ever get a pressure reading off the shrader valve on the fuel manifold?

15. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No I did not get a fuel rail PSI reading yet. Thank you for the reminder. It's not running bad atm. It never hurts to know the fuel psi at the injectors though.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No I did not get a fuel rail PSI reading yet. Thank you for the reminder. It's not running bad atm. It never hurts to know the fuel psi at the injectors though.
    It's probably in spec.... but.... just one of those things where if it's just out or close to the limit it can make things run bad... especially if you have other engine problems it can make troubleshooting things a PITA

19. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    It's probably in spec.... but.... just one of those things where if it's just out or close to the limit it can make things run bad... especially if you have other engine problems it can make troubleshooting things a PITA
    I had an 87 T-BIRD that drove me crazy, as it turned out the fuel pump safety shut-off in the trunk wasn't getting a good connection and had melted the terminal insulator block & plastic had run down the spades and prevented the connection, it was VERY intermittent, and was causing low rail pressure.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

21. Likes ronsii, N2 Welding liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist