+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New battery

Post Thanks / Like

New battery

I got up yesterday(Sunday) & went out to head into town for a store trip, I got to the gate & hit the remote start & got one "honk" I didn't think much about it until I got in the truck to leave, I stuck the funky key in the switch % turned it to start. I got some wierd stuff, the glow plug light came on briefly & one click from the solenoid, damn, battery's dead, I kinda half expected it, original battery, 3 years old. I called my buddy that runs the NAPA, he brought me a battery, I expected about $150.00, boy I was wrong, he gives me green sheet on Napa's price sheets which I think is stocking dealer, anyway the battery was $214.31 my cost, the discount amounted to $95.00 from list, it hits hard right now since I'm gonna be taking the wife for radiation 5 days a week starting 10-1-2020, a little more than 1500 miles a week. The truck's doing good, I just did a 40 horse tune & shut down the EGR & allows distilled water to replace the DEF, It's helped the fuel mileage a little, generally at 24-26 mpg with mixed driving, it'll be nice to see how it is with a higher level of hiway driving.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New battery

Yeah... I hear you on battery prices it's ridiculous that in the last few years they have jumped so much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah... I hear you on battery prices it's ridiculous that in the last few years they have jumped so much
    And the reasonably priced batteries, if you can find one, are made with less plates (the reason they're cheaper)

5. Likes ronsii, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah with lead acid batteries so expensive it makes me think about just going to AGM. Side story I got a new battery for the 2015 TDI, had to go into the PCM and change the battery serial number so it would know it's a new battery then go into the transmission module and do a "basic setting of transmission" so it can begin it's adaptation from the factory setting. Not a big deal for me but most would have to go to a dealer to have it done.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

The wife just had her BMW serviced and they recommended a battery change based on age only. (3 years) $701.00....
    Syncrowave 250 w/ coolrunner
    MM210 W/spoolgun
    SP 135
    Victor O/A
    Ramsond cut 50
    Titanium Stick 225.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tbones View Post
    The wife just had her BMW serviced and they recommended a battery change based on age only. (3 years) $701.00....
    I'll bet they do recommend that. Better safe than sorry. Oh and we make a few $ on it too. Win Win. Lol.

The 4 1/4" by 3 3/4" by 2 3/4" Battery for my new YZ450 lists for $600. It is a whopping 2.4 AH tiny little POS. 2 months old and the battery already shut down on me once in bum****ed Egypt.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-29-2020 at 10:51 AM.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I got up yesterday(Sunday) & went out to head into town for a store trip, I got to the gate & hit the remote start & got one "honk" I didn't think much about it until I got in the truck to leave, I stuck the funky key in the switch % turned it to start. I got some wierd stuff, the glow plug light came on briefly & one click from the solenoid, damn, battery's dead, I kinda half expected it, original battery, 3 years old. I called my buddy that runs the NAPA, he brought me a battery, I expected about $150.00, boy I was wrong, he gives me green sheet on Napa's price sheets which I think is stocking dealer, anyway the battery was $214.31 my cost, the discount amounted to $95.00 from list, it hits hard right now since I'm gonna be taking the wife for radiation 5 days a week starting 10-1-2020, a little more than 1500 miles a week. The truck's doing good, I just did a 40 horse tune & shut down the EGR & allows distilled water to replace the DEF, It's helped the fuel mileage a little, generally at 24-26 mpg with mixed driving, it'll be nice to see how it is with a higher level of hiway driving.
    Dang man, best wishes to you wife for a speedy recovery.

Distilled water instead of DEF? That sounds interesting.
    I'll likely buy a diesel finally on the next truck. 6.5 to 8 mpg while towing fairly heavy with the Chevy 2500 is not cool....13mpg on highway empty is max.

...brand new battery dead on my Impala this morning (at the hotel)...thank god for smokers needing to get up and go outside
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How will you keep the distilled water from freezing ? I guess it will thaw once you start up though. I noticed DEF starts to freeze at 12F, doubt Ajo ever sees that though. But plenty of nights below 32F right?

edit: I just looked you up, I see if never freezes there. We get our share of freezing nights over here in Tucson, I just assumed you did too.
    Last edited by bigb; 09-29-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    How will you keep the distilled water from freezing ? I guess it will thaw once you start up though. I noticed DEF starts to freeze at 12F, doubt Ajo ever sees that though. But plenty of nights below 32F right?

edit: I just looked you up, I see if never freezes there. We get our share of freezing nights over here in Tucson, I just assumed you did too.
    We do get a few freeze nights, and snow occasionally, I think it was 1967 or 68 we had a hard freeze that lasted for about 5 days, we had a 15 gallon washtub that froze solid & stayed that way for a week, maybe a little more.
    The DEF thing is a function of the tune, they shut down the the sensor that detects it so it doesn't report. That's the exact reason why I got rid of my DURAMAX, it was the first year for DEF in GM, and they weren't ready, I also understand that it's a major problem in most diesels. I understand that the EPA is also after TUNERS, They already shut down one company, they responded by re-engineering their tune to keep it totally legal. That sucks because the intake on this little diesel is plastic & EGR problems destroy them. The tune is great if you live in an area like mine that doesn't emissions test, just have to tune it back stock for dealer work.

I also forgot to mention that the new battery is an AGM. I think we're going to see the lead acid batteries go away pretty soon.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Dang man, best wishes to you wife for a speedy recovery.

Distilled water instead of DEF? That sounds interesting.
    I'll likely buy a diesel finally on the next truck. 6.5 to 8 mpg while towing fairly heavy with the Chevy 2500 is not cool....13mpg on highway empty is max.

...brand new battery dead on my Impala this morning (at the hotel)...thank god for smokers needing to get up and go outside
    Thank you Dave, she's a very strong woman, but is kind of emotional about the radiation for some reason, hopefully because of all the travel. The road we have to travel to get to Phoenix is heavily traveled by complete IDIOTS, there have been 5 fatalities on that 42 mile stretch to get to a divided highway since September 21, then another 60 some miles on to the treatment center.
    JEFF

16. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes prayers for your wife.

My girlfriend of 14 years just went through chemo/radiation.

Long road. We will pray for your wife's complete healing and speedy recovery.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-29-2020 at 11:52 PM.

18. Likes ronsii, 12V71, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mom went thru chemo for her breast cancer. It was miserable. Just keep her comfortable, and try to cheer her up when it gets bad.

20. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The doctors, both the surgeon and the radiologist have said that it's very very mild these days because they have refined the treatments so much, Her grandmother went through it in the early 60's and it literally blistered her badly, They've told the wife that it will be a sunburn basically.Keep her in prayer & prayer for safe travel, I trust my driving but in the 42 miles from here to Gila Bend I've been passed in the dirt(it's 2 lane road) and the main thoroughfare to Mexico, I've had to literally stop & be prepared to get off the road because of the MORONS. Thank y'all for your prayers & thoughts, I don't know how much I'll be on for the next six weeks due to the travel, a little ove 300 miles per day, five days a week for six weeks starting October 1st.
    JEFF

22. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist