+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New score for the shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New score for the shop

I do however need a 4-71 for a michigan loader I 'accidentally' overheated one of these days I'll get back to that project....

2. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could be better off rebuilding what you have vs trying to find an exact replacement. It never fails those good running take outs will have the blower, exhaust, and water pump on the wrong side of the engine. Had a customer once that bought a 6-71 for a Terex loader that had nearly everything 180 degrees opposite the original engine. I declined that installation and the guy that did it messed it up badly. I got to rebuild the original engine and put it back the way it was.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    You could be better off rebuilding what you have vs trying to find an exact replacement. It never fails those good running take outs will have the blower, exhaust, and water pump on the wrong side of the engine. Had a customer once that bought a 6-71 for a Terex loader that had nearly everything 180 degrees opposite the original engine. I declined that installation and the guy that did it messed it up badly. I got to rebuild the original engine and put it back the way it was.
    Rebuilding is actually my first plan but if I happen to find something that will drop in I'd go that route... if it fits my budget I think this used to have a cummins in it anyways... if I was more of a purist I'd go the cummins route but it's just one of my scrap iron toys for home use

Post Thanks / Like

Aah you guys and all your toys.

I just sold my business and have no iron left. Just kept a couple of forklifts for around the yard and the shop.

In the process of cleaning up my shop and selling a bunch of sh!t. Need cash to pay off my car loan and start saving for the old folks home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a few minutes of time into the teryx side by side that had the fuel coming out the exhaust a while back.... after going through the carbs and not finding anything wrong.... I started looking elsewhere.... the back cylinder is were they takeoff for the fuel pump drive(impulse)... so I pulled the line and gave it a good suck!!! Ugggg I really hate the taste of the new gas!!!! (problem solved!!!)
    From there I commenced to ripping the pump apart and:
    Name:  teryx750-pump-rupture1.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  87.8 KB
    So now gotta find a gasket set or new pump..... and then hope the motor isn't toast cause it sure smoked when I finally got it to run the other day...) but didn't know of the gas injection line yet...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.... so you're saying you prefer the taste of old gas? Never thought of it as being similar to wine....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Hmmm.... so you're saying you prefer the taste of old gas? Never thought of it as being similar to wine....
    Yes definitely!!!, good old regular gas was always a treat when you had to siphon some out for the lawnmower or when you ran out a few miles from the service station nowadays it just sucks to suck up a mouthfull

Post Thanks / Like

Silly boy... use a 2nd length of tubing and hold a rag tight over cap hole. Blow... don't suck. Blow is not just an expression. If I'm around the yard I get lazy and give it a quick blast with the air compressor... not too much or you'll be replacing a fuel tank.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hold a rag tight over cap hole. Blow... don't suck. Blow is not just an expression. .
    Enlightening ! Now please clarify "cap hole"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The filler hole on the top of the tank where the fuel cap goes on.... a siphon is started by dissimilar air pressures. You can create a low pressure area at the bottom of the hose by sucking, or a high pressure area above the fuel by blowing... I steal the mixed fuel out of the boat for the snowmobile, fuel out of the snowmobile for the chainsaws... good thing I don't fly RC airplanes.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have added a wink emoji after “cap hole”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

19. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The filler hole on the top of the tank where the fuel cap goes on.... a siphon is started by dissimilar air pressures. You can create a low pressure area at the bottom of the hose by sucking, or a high pressure area above the fuel by blowing... I steal the mixed fuel out of the boat for the snowmobile, fuel out of the snowmobile for the chainsaws... good thing I don't fly RC airplanes.
    While this method will work for some things.... not always in troubleshooting however... I was just being lazy and not spending 10 minutes to go back to my shop and get a vacuum pump.... and I really didn't think it was bad... but it was one of those spur of the moment things where I thought... hmmmmm... I wonder??? well I didn't wonder after that actually if I had been thinking I would have spent the 5 minutes that it took to pull and split the fuel pump before I started to suck...to see the problem right in front of me!!!

I still have a good assortment of aircraft hanging around here somewhere but I think most of the fuel I have is way beyond it's useful life

21. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of motor repowers. I gotta line on a couple of motors for the Allis. Guy knows his stuff. HE CATEGORICALLY STATED THAT I HAD TO FURNISH HIM WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE ORIGINAL MOTOR. There's a few versions of the same motor..........some fit combines, some fit tractors, and never the twain shall meet and fit.

Lookin' at about 2 grand for a runner. I figure I'll decide whether to do that, or attempt a rebuild. I'm hoping I just have seized piston, not a bad crank.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a chance today to work on that timing cover. What a pita, very porous casting. I set the pressure washer temp where it was spitting puffs of steam and boiled it good, then soaked it with acetone and another hot bath. Ran the torch over it 6 or 7 times to preheat and clean the crud off brushing it after each pass.Name:  20201015_134526.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  118.4 KB
    When the black spots stopped showing up I fused the crack and ran a bead of filler over it. I'm still a little rusty, but its sealed and no cracks when it cooled.Name:  20201015_134120.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  192.4 KB
    And now the outside. You can see the porous skin on the casting.Name:  20201015_135215.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  134.4 KB

24. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job... glad to see yours worked out better than mine...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worked out well, now that the harvest trucks are slowing down I'm getting time to start reassembling things. Started putting the engine back together yesterday, got the front gear train back together and the cover on this morning. Name:  20201020_104509.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  78.6 KB

28. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. did the casting just decide to spring a leak or did the idler get funky? Did you drill stop the ends? LOTS of hot water is your friend in a case like that. I used to rebuild one a week for few a years when the mechanical stuff was still around and western star was pushing those sawed off hoods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    Nice job. did the casting just decide to spring a leak or did the idler get funky? Did you drill stop the ends? LOTS of hot water is your friend in a case like that. I used to rebuild one a week for few a years when the mechanical stuff was still around and western star was pushing those sawed off hoods.
    The crack was caused when somebody ran a bolt through the fan hub bracket that was about one thread too long or was meant to be double washered over the adjustment slot. No, I didn't stop drill since it wasn't really structural and it's pretty thin in that area.

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist