Thread: MIG VS TIG : Need advice for welding a sheet metal faraday cage in doors.

Post Thanks / Like

MIG VS TIG : Need advice for welding a sheet metal faraday cage in doors.

Hello! I'm really new to welding, my adult class got postponed 3 times and friends of mine said its just best to get my hands on it. So I'm studying up and getting ready for making a faraday cage of mild sheet and C-channel for a friend.
    have to do alot of vertical and overhead welding indoors... Should I do TIG with a slider amp control, or try to go with MIG indoors?? I hope a fan and 2 windows is enough ventilation. I'll be using a fiberglass blanket to protect the wood floors and walls. Please shoot me some advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MIG VS TIG : Need advice for welding a sheet metal faraday cage in doors.

You have a bit of practice to do before you start construction. I would suggest making flat panels (do it outside) and bolt them together. Design panels small enough to fit though whatever openings exist. If this ever has to be removed it would be a lot easier to disassemble a bolted structure than a welded one. Even cutting it up with a grinder can be a huge fire hazard.
    Panel construction could also possibly eliminate some of that overhead welding. Either GMAW or TIG would suffice depending on what equipment you choose and your skill set. Have fun.

Additional: For a Faraday cage I'd frame it in wood and fully cover it with copper window screen wire.
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 10-30-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

A photo and description of what your intention is would help.
    Material type, size, and thickness would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mig and a grinder. You can get the fiberglass blankets at Harbor Freight. They gave me some and are really.good.

You are not going to be able to learn Tig fast enough to get it right. A good mig machine is cheap and has a setup chart under the holds. Or use the auto-set and get very close enough to fake it without knowing what you at doing.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno what wavelengths you want to shield, but I suspect a functional Faraday ghetto solution would be to build a wood frame, cover it with 1-2 layers of aluminum window screen, and ground the screen...