+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New "Shop" - Ramblings and Dreams With a Blank Canvas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New "Shop" - Ramblings and Dreams With a Blank Canvas

I went with the peaked roof version, 10' x 21'. It'll have gutters ('Merica) on both sides to channel any rainfall to the driveway and street.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes Meltedmetal, VaughnT, camfab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This what I did
    Name:  Agateg.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  48.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Attachment 1718634
    Me and the missus sold the camp trailer - and that leaves this lovely 10' x 20' slab off to the side of the garage where all my stuff is currently.

Attachment 1718635

The RV gate makes access nice, as well as a door from the garage to this space. There is an existing 30A TT-30 110V outlet that I'm converting to 6-50 220V for the welder. There is a dual floodlight and a duplex 110V outlet also there already.

As a hobbyist tinkerer with artsy kind of stuff, all I have tool-wise is:

* 110/220 Dual Voltage Mig/Stick/Tig welder (160A +/- from a 30A circuit)
    *Portaband
    *Drill Press (If Harbor Freight ever sends the replacement spindle sleeve...)

The welder and bandsaw are portable and can be rolled out to the new work area fairly easily. Drill press is right by the door. I plan on avoiding getting city planners and inspectors so no "permanent" looking structures (The d!psh!t down the road ruined that when he recently went "whole house makeover" and tried turning his garage into a bedroom (yeah, I think the french doors and framing 20' off the street didn't hide well from the happen-to-drive-by building inspector) and got Red Tagged.

What I'm thinking is just a steel carport like this (10' x 22'):

Attachment 1718633
    Maybe put up some short racking against the block fence to hold materials and top it with a long metal bench top. Rain is the only weather to really worry about, so if I can find some heavy canvas covers for the welding cart I may leave it in this area as well. Heck, I don't know...It's Saturday afternoon and I'm just sitting in the spa staring at it.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

4. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the lean-to designs but in my situation I had to keep several things in mind:

It has to be free standing to skirt the permit issue - anything attached to the house would require permits and inspections. I know a lean-to could be made self standing, but just the apparent appearance of attachment could invite closer scrutiny if/when an inspector drove through the neighborhood.

I want to get it up and done in minimal amount of time (hours, not days) - again so as to not catch an inspectors interest if they drove by and saw a half-built structure.

I didn't want all (what little there can be) runoff to drain towards the neighbors property. I don't mind (2) 20' gutters (rooftroughs? ) to direct both sides of the runoff out the driveway to the street.

It's not that my current plan/purchase is illegal in any way - I am following every building ruling to the letter, but in this day and age EVERY government entity is tasked with finding their own revenue to support operating budgets. Fines and permitting fee's are a big part of that and I'm not ready to go to war over a stupid tin carport lol. If a manufactured structure just appears suddenly one day, it won't draw any unwanted attention and life will go on peacefully.

The bummer is it is anywhere from 3-6 weeks out - the manufacturer won't narrow down the production window any more than that. Hopefully before Christmas though,
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

That as don in one day
    I do not show where I live on the internet or put a real photo
    In California you build 120 square feet with no per mite

Dave

I like the lean-to designs but in my situation I had to keep several things in mind:

It has to be free standing to skirt the permit issue - anything attached to the house would require permits and inspections. I know a lean-to could be made self standing, but just the apparent appearance of attachment could invite closer scrutiny if/when an inspector drove through the neighborhood.

I want to get it up and done in minimal amount of time (hours, not days) - again so as to not catch an inspectors interest if they drove by and saw a half-built structure.

I didn't want all (what little there can be) runoff to drain towards the neighbors property. I don't mind (2) 20' gutters (rooftroughs? ) to direct both sides of the runoff out the driveway to the street.

It's not that my current plan/purchase is illegal in any way - I am following every building ruling to the letter, but in this day and age EVERY government entity is tasked with finding their own revenue to support operating budgets. Fines and permitting fee's are a big part of that and I'm not ready to go to war over a stupid tin carport lol. If a manufactured structure just appears suddenly one day, it won't draw any unwanted attention and life will go on peacefully.

The bummer is it is anywhere from 3-6 weeks out - the manufacturer won't narrow down the production window any more than that. Hopefully before Christmas though,
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Check what Farmersamm has done with his connex shop You can always extend an eve or roof off of a box pretty easily

Post Thanks / Like

He has a great stop
    The block fence will help stop sounds and if the block fence it stop even more sounds.
    If use wood framing and metal roof the help stop sound too.
    He has great place for a home welding shop.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Check what Farmersamm has done with his connex shop You can always extend an eve or roof off of a box pretty easily

Post Thanks / Like

Just got word that my carport is in and should be scheduled for install next week - woohoo. I'd appreciate any and all advice and ideas on how to optimize the layout initially.

So here is where it is going (10' wide x 20' long) set against the block fence:

Name:  20201030_065842.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  136.7 KB

And this is the design/shape:

Name:  20x21-regular-roof-carport-660x371.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  15.7 KB

This is the first draft of a layout for everything I have/want for now:

Name:  20201208_125059-01.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  37.8 KB

I plan on getting some used "Home Depot" style racking to make benches from. I'm thinking a 8' long x 3' deep fixed bench and a 4' long by 3' deep rolling bench. In between the benches is space for tools. My main toolbox stays in the garage. 20 gallon compressor and welder are on carts so they can be moved and parked at will. Drill, saw, etc. have canvas covers for if it ever rains (Arizona) - I'm not expecting the area to get wet but just in case.

I'll use hitch tubes/receivers on the benches for the grinder and vise, plus I already have a mobile stand that can hold either or. Maybe the anvil if I ever get that figured out lol.

Question: I'm limited to muscle and creativity to get steel plates from the bed of my truck to the benches - what is a good compromise between thickness for stability vs. thinness for manageable weight? I do not do precision work so perfectly flat isn't necessary - maybe a couple 4x3 pieces welded together for the big bench and one piece for the rolling?
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh............I didn't realize you were going to have a no-wall shop. At least that is what I'm reading into the carport thing.

I realize that Arizona is dry (ask any classic car enthusiast who's looking for a rust free builder), but there's still some danger of condensation in the overnite hours, and the obvious rain event. Not sure I'd want any kind of nice machinery out in the elements.

I also, maybe not rightly, do not like anything that can be viewed by others. If they can't see it, they won't steal it. I'm not sure how insulated from prying eyes a carport will be, even in a walled enclosure.

It's tough to do this sort of thing on a shoestring budget, or where local codes interfere. It took me years to set my little shop up. At least you're STARTING. Once started, you'll figure out the best way forward.

11. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know..............come to think of it............I started out by the power pole in the yard. I kept the welder, cutting rig, and drill press, wrapped in tarps when not in use. I still have the drill press, and it's in relatively good shape. I burnt up the welder years ago, not due to weather exposure. And, the cutting rig is just fine 20 some years later. So, you might be just fine.

13. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Gosh............I didn't realize you were going to have a no-wall shop. At least that is what I'm reading into the carport thing.

I realize that Arizona is dry (ask any classic car enthusiast who's looking for a rust free builder), but there's still some danger of condensation in the overnite hours, and the obvious rain event. Not sure I'd want any kind of nice machinery out in the elements.

I also, maybe not rightly, do not like anything that can be viewed by others. If they can't see it, they won't steal it. I'm not sure how insulated from prying eyes a carport will be, even in a walled enclosure.

It's tough to do this sort of thing on a shoestring budget, or where local codes interfere. It took me years to set my little shop up. At least you're STARTING. Once started, you'll figure out the best way forward.
    I think once the carport is in a lot of those questions will be answered - for me as well as you. Between the gate and fence being tall enough to hide everything from view (at least from the street), the 24/7 surveillance cameras I have on the area, and a mutt that can run down cats and birds and looks scary as heck - I don't feel too worried about thievery.

Name:  20201126-144843-01.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  131.7 KB

Scary looking - but gentle as a lamb:

Name:  unnamed_(1).jpg
Views: 445
Size:  183.3 KB

I've been picking up outdoor furniture covers off Amazon scratch and dent dept. for cheap - they breather pretty well, are waterproof, and have tie downs built in to them. Makes the drill press look like a covered up patio heater lol.

Name:  20201209-120741-01.jpg
Size:  128.7 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

15. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That pup might be gentle as a lamb, but I bet there's a real personality change if an unfamiliar person gets near that child Dogs will either be jealous of a young child, or bond with it. If they bond, it's for life.

Post Thanks / Like

That pup might be gentle as a lamb, but I bet there's a real personality change if an unfamiliar person gets near that child Dogs will either be jealous of a young child, or bond with it. If they bond, it's for life.
    Twenty years ago my kids had a dog with exactly that same paint job, We had no idea how many breeds were crammed in there but "Maggie" was the most protective mutt we ever had. The neighbors had a shepherd that ran loose most of the time and was fairly aggressive, sob showed up in our driveway and went after a kid, Maggie jumped a 5' fence and came close to killing that dog. I had to pull Maggie off and drag the shepherd home... Damn near just shot the thing, a couple of visits from the sheriffs department finally got shep kenneled pretty much permanently.

18. Likes ronsii, Shootr, tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your crew is ready to start the build

Dave

I think once the carport is in a lot of those questions will be answered - for me as well as you. Between the gate and fence being tall enough to hide everything from view (at least from the street), the 24/7 surveillance cameras I have on the area, and a mutt that can run down cats and birds and looks scary as heck - I don't feel too worried about thievery.

Name:  20201126-144843-01.jpg
Size:  131.7 KB

Scary looking - but gentle as a lamb:

Name:  unnamed_(1).jpg
Views: 445
Size:  183.3 KB

I've been picking up outdoor furniture covers off Amazon scratch and dent dept. for cheap - they breather pretty well, are waterproof, and have tie downs built in to them. Makes the drill press look like a covered up patio heater lol.

Name:  20201209-120741-01.jpg
Size:  128.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that you're on a budget and dealing with limited space and building codes. However, I would put the security of my stuff first. That means making it so that nobody can see any of it from the street. Also, it needs to be protected from rain, dust, and extreme temperature changes.

The government will know about it. They don't look from the street, they look for changes on Google Earth.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

When you update the anvil stand, make the cabinets, get new tools, etc, try to make them have the same work height. This allows you support larger pieces.

Have you thought about getting a long piece of the track for your chain hoist and putting that across the peak of the roof of the carport spanning all the trusses? I am not sure what the snow load or strength is of the structure. Since you generally do not work with heavy material, this might be an option to help move items in and out of the truck. If I remember right, you mostly use the hoist to put your generator or other items in and out of the truck. Since you are only dealing with a couple of hundred pounds and not over 500 pounds, I think you will be OK.
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 12-10-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

22. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Twenty years ago my kids had a dog with exactly that same paint job, We had no idea how many breeds were crammed in there but "Maggie" was the most protective mutt we ever had. The neighbors had a shepherd that ran loose most of the time and was fairly aggressive, sob showed up in our driveway and went after a kid, Maggie jumped a 5' fence and came close to killing that dog. I had to pull Maggie off and drag the shepherd home... Damn near just shot the thing, a couple of visits from the sheriffs department finally got shep kenneled pretty much permanently.
    Bindi (she's a brindle pit bull terrier) pinned a German shepherd at the dog park once. She's a rough houser and the shep was a gentle soul - I felt so bad for it lol.

First dog I've ever got to have a say in choosing as well as training. She is utterly desensitized - you can grab a hind leg, yank a ball out of her mouth - anything - and she just thinks it is loving play. The vet loves her for that.

That is the one thing I actually thought about - making all the tables benches, etc. the same height in the shop. I thing the tailgate height of my current truck is about right - if so I'll use that as the overall height for everything else.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

The one built using PT lumber and metal roof was under $500.00 and one day to erection.

If used steel it would cost more for short span.

Where you live may not snow I live snow every 20 years so had for snow load too.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Crew got a nice early start:
    Name:  Screenshot-20201217-094130-Blue-Iris-01.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  91.6 KB

Oh my!
    Name:  20201217-161643-01.jpg
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  20201217-161535.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  94.2 KB

And all guttered / eavestroughed up:
    Name:  20201217-161450-01.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  117.1 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

26. Likes tackit, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    Like gutter
    I hate to see the bill on that.

Dave

Crew got a nice early start:
    Name:  Screenshot-20201217-094130-Blue-Iris-01.jpg
Size:  91.6 KB

Oh my!
    Name:  20201217-161643-01.jpg
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  20201217-161535.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  94.2 KB

And all guttered / eavestroughed up:
    Name:  20201217-161450-01.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  117.1 KB

28. Likes tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

Have you thought about getting a long piece of the track for your chain hoist and putting that across the peak of the roof of the carport spanning all the trusses? I am not sure what the snow load or strength is of the structure. Since you generally do not work with heavy material, this might be an option to help move items in and out of the truck. If I remember right, you mostly use the hoist to put your generator or other items in and out of the truck. Since you are only dealing with a couple of hundred pounds and not over 500 pounds, I think you will be OK.
    I haven't got the roof load rating yet, but the person screwing the roof down walked freely all over it. Definitely putting a hoist track in there.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

30. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where purchased the Carport will the snow load. Odds are it is 12 to 20 Lb Ft
    Fyi if putting on roof ever day you know where you can step.

Dave

I haven't got the roof load rating yet, but the person screwing the roof down walked freely all over it. Definitely putting a hoist track in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Custom cover for the welder cart and drill press.

Well, actually grill and patio furniture covers - but the fit is amazing lol!
    Name:  20201219-171312-01.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  125.1 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking carport. I'm a bit surprised they didn't anchor it to the slab. You can do that later if you want. Even lead anchors are an improvement. They go in easy if you use an SDS drill. I might have missed seeing the anchors, but from here it doesn't look anchored.

And................I just had a passing thought. It might be a good ideal to alarm your gate. They can't get the big stuff out without opening the gate.

Photograph all the valuable stuff, and keep a list of serial numbers. You will have trouble making a claim without this information.

34. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sammy,
    did you leave off the Clausing lathe on purpose? You know that slowly rotted away in your yard?
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking carport. I'm a bit surprised they didn't anchor it to the slab. You can do that later if you want. Even lead anchors are an improvement. They go in easy if you use an SDS drill. I might have missed seeing the anchors, but from here it doesn't look anchored.

And................I just had a passing thought. It might be a good ideal to alarm your gate. They can't get the big stuff out without opening the gate.

Photograph all the valuable stuff, and keep a list of serial numbers. You will have trouble making a claim without this information.
    Thanks, I'm sooo happy - like a kid in a candy store

They anchored it well, there are concrete fasteners on both sides so it shouldn't take off in a monsoon.

The gate is padlocked and the pup is the current alarm lol. Not impenetrable, but if they are that determined to break in, the camera will have time to record their faces and vehicle.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist