+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New "Shop" - Ramblings and Dreams With a Blank Canvas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New "Shop" - Ramblings and Dreams With a Blank Canvas

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    That sure looks a lot like Tucson, Aleppo pines and all. Why don't you rig up a welding curtain across the ends to help hide stuff, plus if a thief sees welding flashes at night he will know there's tools in there. Plus it will cut down on the cold, icy wind on days like today where it barely got over 60. Also for the wiring MC cable works great in a shop, not as easily damaged or burnt and it looks a lot better than plastic conduit. Of course EMT is best but more time to do.
    If you are in Tucson you might be interested in a big swamp cooler for the summer, I have a nearly new 6,500 on wheels that I used at construction job sites that I was going to sell now that I am retired. It has a trailer to move it.
    I'm in an older part of Glendale (50yrs +/-). I don't do much, if anything at night so as to be a good neighbor and let mine have peaceful evenings. If I have to weld and it's windy I'll move back into the garage, but I don't see that happening very often since I don't have any schedule to stick to.

I used EMT and metal boxes for all the electrical outlets - it gives me another place to hang the lighter tools from!

I'm as native as it gets, so even during summer - with shade and a fan - I'm good to go. If I ever retire and spend a lot more time out there, then I could see getting a swamp cooler.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

You ought to be ok out there. The partially open sides will let a lot of air flow through there. Hell, I work in a container, and it gets up to about 120* in there during the Summer............with the humidity running as high as 80% most days around here. I just use a small box fan at the door. It's good enough to stir up a little air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The cheap "plug in style" work well. Only problem is I can't seem to find them "cheap" like everyone else.

Up in Canada the cheapest I've found was about $90 at Costco for a two pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This week at Peavy Mart.... $35 Cdn each
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    This week at Peavy Mart.... $35 Cdn each
    I had to google that. Never heard of them. Apparently there's one in the interior but none on the island.

:

Post Thanks / Like

I bought these and like them. The fluorescent people have figured out how to shorten the life of both the bulbs and the fixtures. The price is up about $7 since I bought the last one in September but they did sometimes have a mark down.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ---Meltedmetal

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just the screw in light bulbs.

The shop is real clean is that for photos?

Dave

The cheap "plug in style" work well. Only problem is I can't seem to find them "cheap" like everyone else.

Up in Canada the cheapest I've found was about $90 at Costco for a two pack

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE

Dave[/QUOTE]

LOL. No, Dave that’s just the way it is. Keep in mind I’m retired, a hobbyist and the only one using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

... and he has girls in bikini's come in every nite to scrub the place down...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another Amazon.ca item that's even cheaper, but we're not comparing apples to apples... the Peavy Mart $35 light is 5500 lumens, Melted's $32 light is 5000 lumens, and this $24.50 light is only 4000 lumens. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D94M16B/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Smithdoor mentioned conventional base bulbs, and I see the corn row LED's are coming down in price too. 5200 lumen for 39.99 Cdn. Been thinking about a couple of those for the cold storage sheds.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 01-02-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is lot easier to keep a shop when retired. My new shop is lot cleaner to after I retired.

Dave

[QUOTE

Dave
    LOL. No, Dave that’s just the way it is. Keep in mind I’m retired, a hobbyist and the only one using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another Amazon.ca item that's even cheaper, but we're not comparing apples to apples... the Peavy Mart $35 light is 5500 lumens, Melted's $32 light is 5000 lumens, and this $24.50 light is only 4000 lumens. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D94M16B/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Smithdoor mentioned conventional base bulbs, and I see the corn row LED's are coming down in price too. 5200 lumen for 39.99 Cdn. Been thinking about a couple of those for the cold storage sheds.
    Wow!!! those 4000's have a 7 year warranty... I wonder how that will work when they don't make that design in another 6 months but seriously they should last a long time if it weren't for the cheap 'power circuitry' in them

Post Thanks / Like

Low cost by using conventional base bulbs.
    The longest lasting I last check was 48" florescent bulbs some will go 40,000 hours.

Using conventional base bulbs is low cost and will go over 16,000 hours.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Wow!!! those 4000's have a 7 year warranty... I wonder how that will work when they don't make that design in another 6 months but seriously they should last a long time if it weren't for the cheap 'power circuitry' in them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I'm in an older part of Glendale (50yrs +/-). I don't do much, if anything at night so as to be a good neighbor and let mine have peaceful evenings. If I have to weld and it's windy I'll move back into the garage, but I don't see that happening very often since I don't have any schedule to stick to.

I used EMT and metal boxes for all the electrical outlets - it gives me another place to hang the lighter tools from!

I'm as native as it gets, so even during summer - with shade and a fan - I'm good to go. If I ever retire and spend a lot more time out there, then I could see getting a swamp cooler.
    Looks like you've made good progress on the new digs. One question - how close are you to the new ballpark in Glendale? My brother lives in an older subdivision right next to it on Solano Drive. He has a great shop and does a lot of work on windmills and hit and miss engines.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday, all questions on spending the money for an engineered and professionally installed carport were answered:

Neighbors tree just outside the fence where the carport is - he lost three or four big parts of his olive trees:
    Name:  20210126-074433-01.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  166.5 KB

Neighbor behind me and his home built effort:
    Name:  20210126-074344-01.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  107.2 KB

Neighbor on the other side and his boat cover:
    Name:  20210126-074316-01.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  137.5 KB

He lost a chunk of fence from a tree coming through it from behind:
    Name:  20210126-074304-01.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  136.9 KB

And Shoppe de Shootr still standing:
    Name:  20210126-074409-01.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  304.4 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like those concrete anchors saved your butt.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like those concrete anchors saved your butt.
    Yep, feeling relief to have a good test under my belt and know that all my hopes (rain covers, strong winds, etc) all proved themselves adequate.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

22. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The frame on yours looks a lot sturdier than the round tube frame that moved. No rain in on your equipment, or was it just wind?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

24. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent a few hours the other morning 'straightening' one of ours back up!!! It sits E/W and is 14 or 16 foot high at the peak???... so the prevailing winds tend to hit it almost square on from the side and at 30 feet long it gets pushed around a bit Part of the problem was the 'professional installers' that put it up put it up out of square so when I would try to pull one side to level the other end would go out of level by a couple inches so I ended up taking all of the 45 degree side supports on each side off and then trying to get it pulled as close to level as I could with a bit of 'extra pull' for when I removed the pull ropes I also re-screwed the screws as close to the tubing corners as I could to give added rigidity because where they had them the flat parts just bent like they weren't even there

Name:  metalbldg-30x12x16-straighten1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  90.7 KB

Red dots show where I moved the screws to, and you can see in this pic how the metal braces just bent in compression because of where the screws were located.
    Name:  metalbldg-30x12x16-straighten2.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  43.7 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 01-26-2021 at 10:55 PM.

26. Likes whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, feeling relief to have a good test under my belt and know that all my hopes (rain covers, strong winds, etc) all proved themselves adequate.
    Glad to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I spent a few hours the other morning 'straightening' one of ours back up!!! It sits E/W and is 14 or 16 foot high at the peak???... so the prevailing winds tend to hit it almost square on from the side and at 30 feet long it gets pushed around a bit Part of the problem was the 'professional installers' that put it up put it up out of square so when I would try to pull one side to level the other end would go out of level by a couple inches so I ended up taking all of the 45 degree side supports on each side off and then trying to get it pulled as close to level as I could with a bit of 'extra pull' for when I removed the pull ropes I also re-screwed the screws as close to the tubing corners as I could to give added rigidity because where they had them the flat parts just bent like they weren't even there

Red dots show where I moved the screws to, and you can see in this pic how the metal braces just bent in compression because of where the screws were located.
    That stinks - ours look like the same manufacturer. I was watching the guys put mine up (because I'm always curious how things are done). They cross-taped the base pieces a bunch of times, had plumb and square strings run all over the place as it went up - and my slab was pretty level to start. They seemed to take a lot of pride in the finished result and I feel I got a really good deal all in all.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The frame on yours looks a lot sturdier than the round tube frame that moved. No rain in on your equipment, or was it just wind?
    Oh boy did it rain! It got the welding table wet but everything else stayed dry. I'm tickled pink that the roof on the fence side, with the added gutter, almost completely shields that whole side.

A local place is selling once-used truck tarps for dirt cheap, I think I'm going to grab one, cut it in half, and hang it like a curtain on each end to give a little bit more rain protection (and wind if I'm welding).
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

32. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy did it rain! It got the welding table wet but everything else stayed dry. I'm tickled pink that the roof on the fence side, with the added gutter, almost completely shields that whole side.

A local place is selling once-used truck tarps for dirt cheap, I think I'm going to grab one, cut it in half, and hang it like a curtain on each end to give a little bit more rain protection (and wind if I'm welding).
    See if they have used “curtain side” tarps as opposed to ones used to cover loads. They will have the advantage fo curtain rings on the top end as well as over center latches on the bottom.

They are usually a heavy vinyl material. I just sold over 80 linear feet of brand new curtains cheap. Everyone wants them for shop dividing walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

34. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your shop looks great after the wind storm.
    I like concrete floor to work off too.
    I guess back to drawing board for your neighbor.

Good job
    Dave

Yesterday, all questions on spending the money for an engineered and professionally installed carport were answered:

Neighbors tree just outside the fence where the carport is - he lost three or four big parts of his olive trees:
    Name:  20210126-074433-01.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  166.5 KB

Neighbor behind me and his home built effort:
    Name:  20210126-074344-01.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  107.2 KB

Neighbor on the other side and his boat cover:
    Name:  20210126-074316-01.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  137.5 KB

He lost a chunk of fence from a tree coming through it from behind:
    Name:  20210126-074304-01.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  136.9 KB

And Shoppe de Shootr still standing:
    Name:  20210126-074409-01.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  304.4 KB

36. Likes Shootr, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That stinks - ours look like the same manufacturer. I was watching the guys put mine up (because I'm always curious how things are done). They cross-taped the base pieces a bunch of times, had plumb and square strings run all over the place as it went up - and my slab was pretty level to start. They seemed to take a lot of pride in the finished result and I feel I got a really good deal all in all.
    Yeah, from what I heard these guys just slammed it up so I don't think they used much in alignment tools.. or string.. or levels Here's a pic I snapped today showing the braces after I re-screwed them and held them tighter to the square tubing, there is a noticeable gain of rigidity since doing this... as I could very easily get a nice swaying motion going by just 30-40 pounds of push on a side before now it doesn't sway even 20 percent as much... still some just because of the design but a *LOT* lees than before

Name:  metalshed-newscrews1.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  81.0 KB

38. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just so happy! First cigar in weeks while sitting in my Fortress of Solitude!

Name:  20210203_173429-01.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  129.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist