+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bird Nest

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bird Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    No, and it does not with the tip on until you strike an arc. With bigger wires (.035) it welds a while without a problem, squeeze the trigger, nothing happens.
    Okay. So, what happens, if you position the gun so the wire feeds out almost parallel to the work piece, while maintaining an arc?

Post Thanks / Like

I had this experience once and it was the coating on the wire like the post said it was a thin coat of rust I know the wire is coated but moisture and dust & rust can build up on the wire causing the drive rolls and liner to get sticky or gummed up. Having burned a lot of 035 I am a firm believer in wipers and lube . We ran two wipers 1 with lube 1 dry you will be amazed at what comes off if that wire. Secondly I am not a firm believer in running oversized tips if you do they wear out fast and it changes your voltage setting

I know there are arguments both ways just my 2 cents worth

3. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    I had this experience once and it was the coating on the wire like the post said it was a thin coat of rust I know the wire is coated but moisture and dust & rust can build up on the wire causing the drive rolls and liner to get sticky or gummed up. Having burned a lot of 035 I am a firm believer in wipers and lube . We ran two wipers 1 with lube 1 dry you will be amazed at what comes off if that wire. Secondly I am not a firm believer in running oversized tips if you do they wear out fast and it changes your voltage setting

I would agree with what you said. Oversized tips will cause premature wear at best, erratic arc is more likely. I also use wipers with lube and haven't had issues. It really doesn't take much debris on the wire to cause major feed issues. The brand of wire itself can often be an issue. I've thrown more than a few spools of wire out over the years because they wouldn't feed correctly. It's almost impossible to get that through to someone who is inexperienced and sees it only as a roll of " wire". All in all its a simple process of diagnosis, and the best way to approach it is to start at simple and only change one variable at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Oversized tips will also cause wear in the liner because it isn’t centered like it is supposed to be

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I use the same 2-wiper system. Lots of crud even on brand new wire.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Okay. So, what happens, if you position the gun so the wire feeds out almost parallel to the work piece, while maintaining an arc?
    Gee, I don't know.

Today I "welded" several hours. Meaning I cut, grinded, fitted, clamped & welded. The welder was at its best! Every weld was on 1/4" angle & flat. A generator base, not a real grueling test of a MIG welder. All afternoon, not a single birdnest!

Pictures are of gussets I add, purely cosmetic. The generator has round corners, the bases I build are square. There would be a little triangular hole without these. I don't make a deliberate bevel to leave room for weld metal, I chamfer to clean up plasma dross.

These are in awkward position, vertical up, and horizontal.

Name:  MIGHT.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  175.7 KBName:  MIG.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  137.0 KB
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

What I was going to suggest is to clean all of the electrical contact surfaces, such as where the MIG gun attaches to the welder, etc. If you have any current problems that may be contributing.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

It looks fixed
    Do have photos of nest

Dave

Gee, I don't know.

Today I "welded" several hours. Meaning I cut, grinded, fitted, clamped & welded. The welder was at its best! Every weld was on 1/4" angle & flat. A generator base, not a real grueling test of a MIG welder. All afternoon, not a single birdnest!

Pictures are of gussets I add, purely cosmetic. The generator has round corners, the bases I build are square. There would be a little triangular hole without these. I don't make a deliberate bevel to leave room for weld metal, I chamfer to clean up plasma dross.

These are in awkward position, vertical up, and horizontal.

Name:  MIGHT.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  175.7 KBName:  MIG.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  137.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

After 10 yrs. And all you had to do is admit there was an issue on WW.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 11-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it's working good. It looks like you could turn the heat up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    After 10 yrs. And all you had to do is admit there was an issue on WW.
    I still haven't tried it with .023. I'd be surprised if that issue is cured. Wish there was a lube that'd not cause other problems.
    Last edited by Willie B; 11-09-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Glad it's working good. It looks like you could turn the heat up a bit.
    That was vertical up. I was pulsing. Photo posts sideways almost every time.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest that you clean contacts also but since it is working go for it 1 more thing to check is your ground lead leads tend to take a beating in a shop getting pulled on etc we used to have to cut the clamp end off and redo the clamp the insides of it would be just black dust
    Contrary to popular believe leads do wear out especially on semi automatic processes

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

So what was the cure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    So what was the cure?
    Don't exactly know. Second new liner this year, adjust the bottom roller alignment, spool off some wire through several birdnests. I can't say. I am perplexed that there seems nothing to do about the top roller adjustment. If the bottom roller was off, it was by thousandths.

The less than a year old liner was discolored near the tip, but that I would have expected.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest that you clean contacts also but since it is working go for it 1 more thing to check is your ground lead leads tend to take a beating in a shop getting pulled on etc we used to have to cut the clamp end off and redo the clamp the insides of it would be just black dust
    Contrary to popular believe leads do wear out especially on semi automatic processes

Good luck
    I did notice the ground clamp was hot several months ago. I bought a new one, but haven't gotten around to install it. I guess I will now.

Post Thanks / Like

I did notice the ground clamp was hot several months ago. I bought a new one, but haven't gotten around to install it. I guess I will now.
    I was going to look at the drive on my 252 today but was up to my armpits in a Kenworth ISX engine and forgot. It's been through millions of feet of .035 and .045 wire without any problems. I've changed one liner since 2016... but I'm the only one that runs it. The first improvement I made was to chuck the ground lead and tin clamp and replace it with 15' of 1/0 cable and a 500 amp Lenco clamp, yeah it's overkill but it doesn't get hot or arc.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Check the wire you pull from the gun when you have these issues. I had an Esab 250 that had a bad connection to the gun connection block on the front of the machine and sent most of the weld current through the wire rather than the gun cable, It made small burns on the wire that were very hard to see and those burns would stick it tight in the contact tip.
    My inverter did that to me after sitting for a while, it uses DINSE connectors on the front for polarity & process swaps, it would have NO power & then the panel would jump to over 60 volts and send about 4 feet of wire out & then stop & do it all again over and over if you tried welding, all it took was a twist on the DINSE connector to secure the connection. I didn't look at the wire, but at the voltage it showed it would get red really quick & managed to get one trial across two fingers for a nice burn-------------------NOT!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

21. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Willie B
    per Leogl

I did notice the ground clamp was hot several months ago . . .
    When I suggested 'clean all contacts', it included - but did not
    emphasize
    - the Ground Clamp.

Before you reattach - cut the cable back 12/16" to guarantee
    fresh-meat . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

& no, I hadn't considered the ground clamp until now. I always grind a clean spot for the ground clamp & shine up the contact on the clamp, but got to the service guy last week with only a scrap of grader blade quite rusty & no grinder with me. He had quite a hard time with birdnest too.

Maybe that is the secret?

Post Thanks / Like

This forum, and many others on the same platform, has a problem with cell phone pictures taken with the phone held vertically (portrait orientation). There's a fix from what I've read on other forums. I started this thread on it, but it's not getting any traction.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...05#post8775805
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Oversized tips will also cause wear in the liner because it isn’t centered like it is supposed to be
    On cheap chinese liners maybe. We are talking less than .005" on one side of the tip. Way closer than you would get with cheap chinese mig welders and torches.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen cheap imported wire cause problems like OP described. But sounds like hes got it cornered with the ground situation. Miller feeders imo have always been more "sensitive" to these kind of issues. If the arc is not initiating properly with a faulty ground, a bird nest is very possible to occur. Have you tested wire tension by spooling the wire into a gloved hand (with and without a tip). That would eliminate some variables. Start working backwards from there until you find the problem or get to the wire itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Did try the bend the wire trick. Tighten the roller tension just enough to bend the wire. The wire is Maine OXY branded. They tell me hundreds of rolls have been run without complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

Did try the bend the wire trick. Tighten the roller tension just enough to bend the wire. The wire is Maine OXY branded. They tell me hundreds of rolls have been run without complaints.
    I've never actually used that one - I pinch the wire with my gloved hand and adjust until it can moderately push wire through but still slips without bird nesting when I stop it.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

30. Likes Rondo liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist