Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 84 of 84

Thread: Bird Nest

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    one more thing. If you have a miller M25 gun. Make sure the outlet guide; Small piece of liner sticking out the end of the gun is not missing or bent.
    Other guns make sure they are pushed all the way in and almost touching the drive roll. Large gap between drive roll and gun end will bird nest if the wire stubs on the plate for any reason.

  2. Likes ronsii liked this post
  3. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    one more thing. If you have a miller M25 gun. Make sure the outlet guide; Small piece of liner sticking out the end of the gun is not missing or bent.
    Other guns make sure they are pushed all the way in and almost touching the drive roll. Large gap between drive roll and gun end will bird nest if the wire stubs on the plate for any reason.
    Outlet guide is there, not bent. I'm working from memory here, but it occurred to me the liner needs to bend for the gun, there is springiness to it, and the guide should be longer to push the liner to match the angle of the contact tip. Now I've got to dismantle it to inspect that. I wonder if a short piece of tubing could be slid into the end of the gun tube to better align the liner to the tip?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  4. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    Don't cut the liner to long or to short. a long liner will cause feeding problems.
    When you install the diffuser the liner will accordion pleat inside the gun and cause a lot of friction. short liner will leave a large gap between the liner and the tip.
    Load liner into gun. use the diffuser to figure out where to cut. place on the end of the liner and see how much goes in side. mark diffuser then lay diffuser next to gun in correct position. pull liner out then push back in. pull back out 1/8 of an inch and cut at mark. Liner will stay in contact with diffuser with out accordion pleating. Cut liner with wire cutters, not cutting wheel.
    Cutting wheel leave a sharp edge that will scrape the wire and cause feeding problem sooner and later.

  5. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    Stretch the gun out when installing the liner and make sure it's long enough with a curve in the gun. Have seen a few liners installed that were either too short or too long because somebody didn't take the time to check the length before cutting.

  6. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
  7. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    I had another thread with my frustration with porosity & worm tracks in Dual Shield.

    Yesterday I used a fair amount of Dual Shield. Roughly twice as much wire ended up in the trash as on the bucket I was welding. I'd say 12 birdnests in two hours. I believe it happens less when I had a full inch of stick out. I'm convinced the problem is gripping the contact tip. I'm going to get a drill a bit bigger than the hole in the tip.

    Otherwise, welding with the dual shield was a success yesterday.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  8. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    I have not read EVERY post,, but, many of them,,
    of the ones I have read,, everything has been discussed pertaining to wire delivery, rollers, gun,, etc,,

    Have you considered the ground lead as the issue?
    At lower voltage, and amperage, a poorly assembled ground lead can cause issues,, possibly the birdnesting,,

    I would completely disassemble the ENTIRE ground lead, and check the wire and ALL connection points.

    I was looking at the manual for one of my welders last night,, that ground lead disassembly and check is recommended every 500 hours,,,


  9. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    I have not read EVERY post,, but, many of them,,
    of the ones I have read,, everything has been discussed pertaining to wire delivery, rollers, gun,, etc,,

    Have you considered the ground lead as the issue?
    At lower voltage, and amperage, a poorly assembled ground lead can cause issues,, possibly the birdnesting,,

    I would completely disassemble the ENTIRE ground lead, and check the wire and ALL connection points.

    I was looking at the manual for one of my welders last night,, that ground lead disassembly and check is recommended every 500 hours,,,

    You actually have a welder manual that uses the term "ground lead"?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  10. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    You actually have a welder manual that uses the term "ground lead"?
    I interpreted,, it simply shows a pic of cables with bare wire, and loose connections,,

  11. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Bird Nest

    I did upgrade the clamp a year or two ago. I will check the connection at the welder end. My habit is to touch connections after a session of welding see if they get warm. If they do, they need attention.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,621,095,676.15977 seconds with 12 queries