Thread: New to Tig welding

Post Thanks / Like

New to Tig welding

Hi everyone . New member and am considering a tig welder purchase. I have a Miller Mig welder that I have had for a couple of years and love it. Price is a factor as my tig welding will be used for light materials and aluminum. Looking towards the Miller Diversion 180 and would like some opinions .

Thank you

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Tig welding

Welcome Dan!
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan, I have the Diversion 180 and bought it primarily to weld aluminum. Works really well for my hobby requirements, setup is really easy. What I don't like is the torch is hard wired to the case however some have modified it with off the shelf Miller parts.
    John
    Hobart IronMan 230, Miller Diversion 180, Victor O/A, Grizzly G4003g gunsmith lathe
    ESAP MiniArc 161LTS, Hypertherm Powermax45, Milwaukee 14" chop saw, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome dmit, I've used the Diversion but would reccomend the Licoln Squarewave 200, similar price, more features/adjustments. You'd be happy either way.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a tig myself, I'm leaning towards the Lincoln 200. Was pretty serious about the Lincoln aspect 230 but by the time I get argon and some consumables it's kind of wayyyy over my budget.
    I looked into the diversion 180, but seems expensive for what it is, I'm not that experienced with tig but what little I've done and read, a 200 amp machine makes a difference on aluminum those extra 20 amps.
    Just my random thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I was looking for my first TIG welder a few years ago and nearly went blind reading reviews, comparing specs and pricing....there's just so much information out there, and so many choices it's really a tough call.

I won't knock the Diversion 180 from a quality standpoint, but from a price point I don't think you get a lot of welder for that $2,300. I also looked at the Lincoln Square Wave 200 and thought the same thing for $1,800. I wound up buying an Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT and it's been great and the owner of Everlast told me he modeled the specs of a Miller Dynasty 210...from looking at the specs they are very similar, but in different price ranges entirely.

With that said, for $800 the Primeweld 225 might just be the best buy on the market. I didn't know about them when I bought my first TIG, but may have tried one after all the rave reviews and good customer service reports people post. I haven't welded with one, but have yet to see anything negative posted. While I almost hate to say it, Harbor Freight just came out with their new Vulcan ProTIG 205 and I actually had a chance to try one briefly. For $1,000 it's a viable option and I was able to get good welds on 1/4" aluminum with no problem after maybe five minutes playing with the settings on a piece of scrap. If they have a Black Friday sale it would be even more attractive.

The imported welders aren't going to have accessories that are quite as nice in many cases, but they won't hold you back, and when you consider that you're spending $1K less you can put some of that towards upgrades after you have a better idea what you want....a different style torch, maybe a water-cooled setup, etc.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I have a thermal arc 200, love tig, but I suck. That said 20 amps does make a difference on aluminum. I would love to play with a Primeweld.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

About 1+1/2 years ago, I was where you are, considering getting a TIG machine and leaning towards either Miller's Diversion 180 or Lincoln's SW200. I also considered the HF TIG 200 (which has been replaced with the TIG 215). Someone on here recommended I take a look at the Primeweld 225 AC/DC welder. One year ago, I pulled the trigger on the Primeweld, and have been very happy with it. For all that it offers (build quality, warranty, customer service, included accessories and price), it is an exceptional buy. At under $800, it offers a better torch, better duty cycle and greater adjustability that Blue or Red.

Yes, it is an import and yes, if it fails you have to ship it to them (if it is a warranty repair, Primeweld pays the return shipping). In the year that I've had mine, I have reached out to Primeweld via email with a couple of questions; they were quick to respond and offered a detailed answer to my inquiries. As a hobby welder, I don't foresee a time when I will outgrow this welder.

There are a few reviews of this welder on YouTube. NOTE: Some of the older reviews of this welder didn't like the pedal. About a year ago, Primeweld started shipping with a better rocker-style pedal. I've used mine for a year - and would not think twice about getting another one. (There are rumors that Primeweld has a digital control version in test, but I'm happy with the analog interface).

Either way, all the best to you as you dive into the world of TIG.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X