Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do yall make of this?

Post Thanks / Like

What do yall make of this?

Customer brought an old bucket some flat bar and a pile of 3/4 cold roll. He has this idea in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes 12V71, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do yall make of this?

Why not. If he is paying then Id be happy to do his R&D. One thing I might change is to move the flat bar back about 2" so the round bars stick out. Then bevel them. It will make it easier to sneak under logs rocks etc.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

4. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, is that enough steel to prevent bending it?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

6. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joegreen02 View Post
    Customer brought an old bucket some flat bar and a pile of 3/4 cold roll. He has this idea in mind.

Ages ago I used something very similar. As was previously suggested, the flat bar was set back a bit from the front and the round bars were beveled.
    Worked great for its intended purpose.

David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

8. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Ages ago I used something very similar. As was previously suggested, the flat bar was set back a bit from the front and the round bars were beveled.
    Worked great for its intended purpose.

Beveling is not really necessary, most would not believe it but driving a rod with a flat perpendicular end takes less effort than driving a rod with a taper. That is why they taper tent stakes. If you do not they just drive right in loosely and do not hold. The taper makes them grab and stay tight it takes more energy to drive a tapered rod than a flat-ended rod.

Down by the water, everyone always asks about the tapered pilings. They drive the tapered wooden pilings small end into the mud. If you find a straight one and hit it with a pile driver instead of moving 3" to 6" when struck, it just shoots down as much as four feet in one shot and never stops settling.

One day on a job we were sinking some square rod into the ground for a support. I didn't taper the ends of the rod and when I hit it with a rawhide mallet it just shot into the ground and disappeared.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

10. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

When rods are welded in like that they create a very powerful structure. Kind of like spokes in a wheel. I used to make a lot of pipe rails and when you are done setting them in stone and you take a look you can often see a slight distortion usually from the bender and not getting the pipe situated exactly correct from bend to bend. Almost all the pipe rails I did were aluminum, and rather easy to bend. Until I got to this one, I nearly soiled my shorts trying to tweak a quarter-inch change in the top front of the rail. There is absolutely no give in that rail. The rail is stronger than any rail I ever built. I had been concerned because of the shape of the rail and how flimsy it was before I welded in the spokes.

Name:  sunburstrailings.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  72.0 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormic
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

12. Likes Joegreen02, geezer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The concept is good, but the length of the throat on the bucket will make it susceptible to buckling in the middle, if loaded too heavily.

14. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the rail Will, looks very...symmetrical for lack of a better word. I can imagine it was a PIA to layout.............Mike

16. Likes William McCormick, Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joegreen02 View Post

I'd be interested to see if the cutting edge bends down.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

18. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

for light rock sifting in soft dirt or sand the bucket you show should work, I have the one pictured and I can dig rocks in hardpan , sift and dump without bending the bucket, but it is built tough...

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  115.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    for light rock sifting in soft dirt or sand the bucket you show should work, I have the one pictured and I can dig rocks in hardpan , sift and dump without bending the bucket, but it is built tough...
    That's a much stronger design than the OP's, with that ridged section through the centre is it solid bar, or tube construction?

21. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What do yall make of this?

He doesnt plan to dig with the unit. Just plunging it into piles of debris to sift out cactus. I was planning on having a plate sliced up into a pattern similar to the one pictured above and building the whole bucket. He used it some around the property there and appeared quite pleased. lol. When he manages to mangled it Ill be sure to update.

23. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    If he sticks with what his intention is for the tool it will be fine. If he planned on trying to dig with it we would have done something entirely different. This is completely Davids design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    When rods are welded in like that they create a very powerful structure. Kind of like spokes in a wheel. I used to make a lot of pipe rails and when you are done setting them in stone and you take a look you can often see a slight distortion usually from the bender and not getting the pipe situated exactly correct from bend to bend. Almost all the pipe rails I did were aluminum, and rather easy to bend. Until I got to this one, I nearly soiled my shorts trying to tweak a quarter-inch change in the top front of the rail. There is absolutely no give in that rail. The rail is stronger than any rail I ever built. I had been concerned because of the shape of the rail and how flimsy it was before I welded in the spokes.

Name:  sunburstrailings.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  72.0 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormic
    Super nice work bud! I like that design. Kind of reminds me of a sunrise.

26. Likes jeff orebaugh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work

28. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

fine as long you dont hit solid rock with the prongs

30. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    That's a much stronger design than the OP's, with that ridged section through the centre is it solid bar, or tube construction?
    solid bar, and its seems to be made out of a spring type steel...

Post Thanks / Like

An x brace should tighten up the side to side movementName:  5DEA2BC1-D433-4FD3-AF29-6F08B5D45F3C.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  126.6 KB

33. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he's just sifting out light roots you should be alright, but if he has rocks hiding below the surface like I do, he'll be back. I was just eyeing up the front half of an old bucket style stone picker I wore out, thinking it would make a good small stone bucket for my son's skid steer. If he hits you up to make something stronger you might consider one of these to start with. They typically sell used at farm auctions for $300 to $500 if they don't have reels, and all you'd have to add is the quick disconnect. They are very sturdy and it would be cheaper than buying new metal, and you would still have the back half to sell for scrap.

Name:  degimg.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  30.1 KB
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

35. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If he's just sifting out light roots you should be alright, but if he has rocks hiding below the surface like I do, he'll be back. I was just eyeing up the front half of an old bucket style stone picker I wore out, thinking it would make a good small stone bucket for my son's skid steer. If he hits you up to make something stronger you might consider one of these to start with. They typically sell used at farm auctions for $300 to $500 if they don't have reels, and all you'd have to add is the quick disconnect. They are very sturdy and it would be cheaper than buying new metal, and you would still have the back half to sell for scrap.

Name:  degimg.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  30.1 KB
    I once lusted after one of these for that purpose. I couldn't agree with the seller's assessment of value, so the idea died.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

37. Likes Joegreen02, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the way the bars are bent in the bucket. If he does not slam it around it should work.

39. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were very popular in this area when everyone still had big rocks, so they come up very often at farm auctions. Over time most of the land has been picked over, and people that have rocks have moved on to reel type pickers, or now even to mulchers that will break up the stones. The old bucket style ones sell cheap.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Is there much difference in use between a reel style picker and a bucket? It looks like they'd be the same sort of speed in use.

I liked watching millennialfarmer on YT using his reel type rock picker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    They were very popular in this area when everyone still had big rocks, so they come up very often at farm auctions. Over time most of the land has been picked over, and people that have rocks have moved on to reel type pickers, or now even to mulchers that will break up the stones. The old bucket style ones sell cheap.
    Break up the stones? Never heard of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

44. Likes Joegreen02, ronsii, 12V71 liked this post