Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help - Core drill choices

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - Core drill choices

That is slow. Perhaps your saw is glazing? Is your saw for both concrete and brick? They do sell dressing stones? I used to run mine over an al oxide grinding wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Ok, here is my experience using SDS-plus drill with adapter to regular 2Ē wet core bit. We drilled 6 holes in about 2 hours. Two holes were in solid concrete and four were in brick pavers on swung concrete porch. We drilled 4Ē deep. The SDS-plus cut perfect cores. The only problem was the clutch frequently tripped due to binding or snagging. That caused a loud clicking sound.

Bottom line, the SDS- plus is capable but it is a slow process requiring us to take turns about every 1/2 hole.

Here are some pictures of todayís installation matching the rails I installed in January.

Attachment 1726951

Attachment 1726952

Looks great.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    That is slow. Perhaps your saw is glazing? Is your saw for both concrete and brick? They do sell dressing stones? I used to run mine over an al oxide grinding wheel.
    The long two-speed Ebenstock is worth the money for your back alone. You can stand up and let it cut away no labor at all, I keep my leg so that if it jams the handle just pushes against my leg. If you keep doing them like that you will get a lot of jobs. All homes sold have to have stoop rails before the bank will give a mortgage because they will not insure a house without them.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

4. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    The long two-speed Ebenstock is worth the money for your back alone. You can stand up and let it cut away no labor at all, I keep my leg so that if it jams the handle just pushes against my leg. If you keep doing them like that you will get a lot of jobs. All homes sold have to have stoop rails before the bank will give a mortgage because they will not insure a house without them.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Thanks William. I have done several jobs because their insurance carrier now requires rails. Some have been without rails 25+ years and now are threatening to cancel their insurance.

My niche seems to be small (8-15’) jobs. I don’t think the regular shops want to fool with them, or else charge a lot more. I even had a call from my steel supplier to see if I wanted to do a job because they didn’t want to do it. I’m making good money without being too high. Mostly it is friends and acquaintances since I am not advertising or soliciting business. I have a matching gate for this last job to do and 2 other small rails to do.

I think I’m about ready to invest in a core drill rig. I’ll look at the Ebenstock.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

6. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will not regret getting a proper core drill .
    A good guess is better than a bad measurement

8. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Church needed to make the back entrance handicap accessible. My friend Bob and I hand mixed and poured 1800+ pounds of concrete over the old stoop and added a ramp last week. I built the handrail and installed it today.

Core drilling went better, practice always helps.

Anyways I thought I would post a picture for comments.

BTW, we know the ramp is a little steep on left side but is code compliant on right side. The problem is the sidewalk leading to it slopes so much we could not catch it. It is much more accessible than before.

Name:  FB0BE36B-41DC-40E2-971F-96E3F1E4C4DD.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  147.9 KB
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

10. Likes Mikel_24, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Hey William- my brand new Eibenstock core drill you recommended is arriving today! Lots of $ but I keep getting these handrail orders. Cry one time, as the saying goes.

Iím starting on another set of rails today. Just short plain ones but will try my new investment right away. Letís see, only 4 holes on these so Iíll be down to $250/hole! Letís hope I can get that down to $25/hole soon.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 1 Week Ago at 11:04 AM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

12. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey William- my brand new Eibenstock core drill you recommended is arriving today! Lots of $ but I keep getting these handrail orders. Cry one time, as the saying goes.

I’m starting on another set of rails today. Just short plain ones but will try my new investment right away. Let’s see, only 4 holes on these so I’ll be down to $250/hole! Let’s hope I can get that down to $25/hole soon.
    I found when you have one, you find things to use it on. Good luck with it, they are the best in my opinion. Just because you can stand up and core. Many of the rails I did had six cores. But after about four cores with the short core drill, I could feel it in my back from bending way over and steadying the drill, after about twenty minutes of coring.

Try to blow out the core drill after using it, especially if you are not using a few times a week.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

14. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím starting on another set of rails today. Just short plain ones but will try my new investment right away. Letís see, only 4 holes on these so Iíll be down to $250/hole! Letís hope I can get that down to $25/hole soon.
    I am interested to know how you like it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick