+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powcon 300sm

Post Thanks / Like

Powcon 300sm

Hey guys I have a powcon 200sm I want to hook a wire feeder. I have a airco ahf-u 110v wire feeder. The part i don't understand is the wiring. I get i need the 110 from the pow and I need the signal from trigger. In the manual it says something about a relay

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powcon 300sm

Your subject says 300SM but the question says 200SM. As I understand it, the 200SM did not have 110V output through the remote, but the 300SM did.

There are a few different versions of the remote. Typically, the 200SM (and I believe also the 300SM) came with a 14-pin remote with numbered pins, 1-14. There is also a 14-pin version with lettered pins A-N, and a 17-pin connector.

Assuming you have the 14-pin numbered remote, if the 110V exists, it should be on pins 1 and 2, and ground on pin 3.

I'm not sure about the 200SM or 300SM, but I know the 400SM had a contactor in it. Basically, the 110V goes out to the wire feeder, through the gun trigger, and back to the 400SM through a return pin, which connects to the contactor coil. When the contactor closes, it connects the two "contactor" pins, activating the 400SM.

In the case of the 200SM and 300SM, they typically just had the "contactor" pins directly on the remote. If it's possible to wire your gun trigger directly to pins 8 and 9, that would be easiest. Otherwise, you may need to add a contactor to close these two pins when the trigger is pulled.

If you have one of the other remote styles, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

ArcPowTech.can you help me?my 300sm gives voltage at the terminals even when i’m not jumpering pins 8 and 9. And when i do jump them it still gives voltage. And all of this while on mig setting

Post Thanks / Like

It puts out 30volts. And doesnt change when i turn the dial to increase or decrease.

Post Thanks / Like

The 30V sounds like you're in GMAW(Short) mode. My guess is that there is a short inside the unit.

If this unit has the contactor inside, the contacts may be fused closed. If not, there may be a short on the main control board (probably a failed IC chip). Or, it is possible that some conductive dust got into the remote and shorted pins 8 and 9.

If you have an ohm-meter, I would start by checking the resistance between pins 8 and 9. If it is close to 0, then they are shorted somewhere along the line (either inside the remote connector, at the contactor if there is one, or at the control board). If the resistance is very high (or "OL"), then the issue is probably on the main control board.

Good luck, and let me know what you find, and if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry ArcPowTech. Forgive me, i just got around to doing the test properly. The resistance between
    Pins 8 and 9 is 16k ohms. And still getting 30v even when i short them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist