+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller 215 vs Miller 235

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 215 vs Miller 235

What do I get for the additional money with the 235?
    Thanks,
    firheat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller 215 vs Miller 235

additional duty cycle and the ability to hold larger spools. The duty cycle difference is enough that the 215 comes with a 100 amp gun while to the 235 comes with a 250 amp gun.
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were to buy one of these two, which one would you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

I actually am going to buy the 255. But of those two, it really depends on what kind of material you normally work with, and if you would benefit from larger spools or not
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the duty cycle @ 60%
    The 235 is 170 amps.
    The 215 is 125 amps.

I would choose 170 amps @ 60% duty cycle. Better for larger jobs

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by firheat View Post
    What do I get for the additional money with the 235?
    Thanks,
    firheat

7. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked the 235. Though 215 class machines weren't considered.

Mig runs very well on the 235. Ive ran the machine most everyday since I got it about a month ago.
    It also burns 7018 decent .

Also look at the hobart 240, esab 235.

I've got alot of trigger time on the esab mig only 235. The miller runs every bit as good and I like the mdx250 gun better. I was going to buy the esab but the mig only is no longer available so the multi 235 was decided on after a few phone calls and lots of research.

Many dont need 60% duty cycle. I weld buckets and heavy stuff i plan to torture this 235 burning half inch. I think itl do it.

Good luck deciding and have fun with whatever you get.

I did have slight remorse wondering if I should have stepped up to the 255 or 252. Its looking like this 235 will work well for me as long as it just keeps working when I pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by evan; 12-07-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a hobbyist. I have been welding with an older Montgomery Ward 250 amp ac/dc stick and have gotten to the point I can stick things together to stay, but there's no beauty here. Never did MIG in my life. I don't think duty cycle would be a consideration for me as I do a lot more thinking than welding. However, I'm a little concerned when they say can weld up to 3/8 mild steel. Around the farm, I could see wanting to go possibly a little thicker at some point. Are they talking 3/8 single pass? I've got time and I can multi-pass easily enough, but I'm just not sure where I am here. I'm comfortable with the stick so I want to have that option, but I hear MIG is easier, specially for thinner stuff. I don't have any mentors in the neighborhood so it's just me and Jody (and used to be Chucky2009, but I don't know what happened there).

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you'll be fine with the multimatic 215. Use it to stick weld or TIG anything over 3/8ths, and leave the wire feeder for 1/4 inch and under. I am a firm believer that once you get over 1/4 to 3/8, short circuit MIG just isn't the best process to choose. Personally at that point I would either stick weld it or go with a gas shielded flux core wire, which is very much like stick welding, but with an endless electrode. There's lots of good videos out there explaining why limiting short circuit MIG to around a quarter inch is best. Yes you can do multiple passes, but its not the best answer.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a lot more machine for cheaper with a Hobart Ironman 240

https://store.cyberweld.com/hobart-i...SAAEgIoV_D_BwE

No Tig or Stick function but you already have a Stick Machine.

If you want to add Tig process to the MM215 you'll need to buy the Tig kit which adds another $412.00 to the cost.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Researching the 235 i learned mostly about the 215 lots of forgiving arc characteristics comments.

My 235 is damn forgiving itl weld well damn near anywhere the dials are set and is the first machine that ive run were auto set works. 215 sounds to be the same.

Being able to fine tune within auto set is cool.

Lots of people talk highly of the 215 i cant seeing you being disappointed. I rarely hit the duty cycle with a 30% machine. Mostly when running longer than 6", with it screaming bloody mearcy for all its worth doing work it probably shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I figured maybe the 215 is all I need for what I do normally, but I'm gathering now that if I did come across something thicker than 3/8, I could go stick. I know this a Ford vs Chevy kind of question, but I assume the Lincoln 210 MP has basically the same capabilities - anybody out there have a preference, and if so, why? (guess I'm in the Miller sub-forum so I know the answer in advance).

Post Thanks / Like

The C25 MIG arc on the 215 is one of the most forgiving I've experienced making it one of the easiest units I've ran to get dialed into quality output.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firheat View Post
    Thanks for the input. I figured maybe the 215 is all I need for what I do normally, but I'm gathering now that if I did come across something thicker than 3/8, I could go stick. I know this a Ford vs Chevy kind of question, but I assume the Lincoln 210 MP has basically the same capabilities - anybody out there have a preference, and if so, why? (guess I'm in the Miller sub-forum so I know the answer in advance).
    Ford vs Chevy- Pretty much.

My business partner bought the Lincoln 210 and likes it. I have had Lincolns before but didn't like the Lincoln 210. Could be that I just really like my Passport Plus and am used to it.

We did have a MM211 (transformer model) for a bit but sold it off as neither one of liked that thing. Terrible on Aluminum.

I'm a fanboy of the Miller Passport Plus- no longer made- I can only assume the new Miller inverters are just as nice.

I prefer it over the MM252.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I don't weld thicker than 1/4" very often

3/8 and thicker i usually do multiple passes anyways.
    I don't think tig or stick adds any capacity to weld thicker materials with one pass. It's not what the 215-235 class machines are designed to do

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't

Post Thanks / Like

I would just add 2 comments. The 235 will not take 120v power. the 215 does. I am thinking of selling the 215 for a 255 but the portability is so nice. The reason to upgrade for me is 215 limits what kind of wire you can use.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist