Thread: pallet forks to a loader tractor

Post Thanks / Like

pallet forks to a loader tractor

here goes I have a massey 2200 industrial tractor with a loader on it . I am installing some forks in place of the bucket. I purchased the carriage form a forklift to modify to fit the loader arms. The loader has 2 lower mounts and 1 for the tilt dump . The lower pins are 1.250 and upper tilt is 1 inch. I have some 2x1/2 flat stock to use for the pin bosses. For the dump cylinder i am welding a 2x2x.250 square tube vertically to mount the bosses to. The plan is to use 2 pieces of the 2x1/2 for the pin mount one on each side of the tube. I was going to use a 4 inch piece and come in 1 inch from the end and drill a 1 inch hole leaving 1/2 inch of material around the pin.
    Will this be strong enough ? For the bottom pivots I am using a 2 inch piece of 3 1/2x3 1/2x5/16 angle iron and then welding a piece of the 1/2 flat stock to the angle so /total thickness would be 5/8 I will be using reducer bushings in the arms of the loader to be able to use 1 inch pins for the lower mounts as i can not currently afford the 50$ for a bit the loader will pick up 2500lbs is the 1/2 inch strong enough and is it necessary to ad the angle iron to the lower mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pallet forks to a loader tractor

When I first started, I used to burn holes for pins with the O/A. It was the best I could do at the time. I still have some 3pt equipment I built this way. For now, if you're really short of money, you might consider this.

I'd cut them undersize, then tweak them in with a cone stone. You can look up what a cone stone is.

Then, I'd trim the tab for mounting. I centered the holes by moving the tab prior to welding. It was a PITA, but it got the job done.

BTW...........without a drawing, it's hard to tell what your plans are.......at least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

For a perfect round hole with O&A, I cut a hole for the OD of a pipe/bushing & weld in a pipe/bushing sleeve with an ID of the pin diameter. For a harder hole use a tractor bushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s some other choicesName:  6CD9339B-2A7F-40E4-A9BC-B0DC6D87407B.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  48.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go with bucket mounted forks. They will deform your bucket edge and lower the lift capacity. They're also harder on the tractor because they place the load out further. Look at how forks fit on fork lifts and wheel loaders and go from there. A machine shop might not charge too much to drill a few holes. If you're really on that much of a budget maybe it's better to save up and build it properly than trying to do it on an extreme budget.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the complete mounting plate off of a forklift just need to attach pin bosses to it. Biggest hurdle is getting holes drilled
    And will 1/2 x2 flat stock be heavy enough Name:  Screenshot_20201208-003743_Messenger.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  114.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

1/2" is probably thick enough but not sure if 2" wide is enough. That's why it would be good to look at how the fork frames are attached on other loaders/forklifts.

Post Thanks / Like

Relative to what I've seen on other loaders, I'd say 2" sounds a little on the small side to me, but without drawings or pics it's hard to say how much weight/force you will be putting on them. I'm thinking most of the attachment points I've seen even on light loaders would be more like 4"x5/8". With an industrial loader you might be further ahead to over-engineer rather than go light.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post up some pics of the tractor and the front end of the loader. Would help a ton

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment points for a light/medium duty set of forks can be 1/2" plate with no problems.

If you look at tensile strength, 1/2" plate is more than adequate if the square inches are correct. At 36Ksi, every square inch is obviously in the 36,000 pounds per square inch load capacity.

A piece of 3" wide plate, with a 1" hole in the middle, gives you 1" on either side of the hole. So........that's 2" X .5 thickness = 1 square inch of load carrying plate. So, you have 36,000 in tensile strength in the area surrounding the hole. That's more than adequate. For a safety factor, it's advisable to increase the size to a 4" wide plate.

I use 1/2 plate on all my loader attachments.

Name:  loader crane43.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  229.6 KB I repurposed an old bale spike, because I'd built a new one, into a crane. I use the same mounting system on all my attachments. A nice simple quick attach system.

Name:  loader crane43a.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  199.0 KB The top ear has an effective 1 square inch load carrying profile. The top of the top ear is 2" wide. This hooks on a 1" pin. Steel is amazingly strong.

A test run prior to adding a strongback to the main beam.

Name:  loader crane49.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  209.6 KB

Name:  loader crane50.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  235.4 KB

Because the crane telescopes, I decided to reinforce the main beam with a strongback.

Name:  loader crane40.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  240.1 KB

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The additional strongback.

Name:  loader crane65.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  206.7 KB

Anyways..............the attachment system is extremely robust.

Name:  spreading force3.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  124.5 KB

Like you're planning................I picked up an old pallet fork attachment, and competely stripped it. All I retained was the headache rack (the pipe thingy), the forks, and the slider bar that holds the fork ears. I built a frame to my specs, with the same mounting system.

Name:  IMG_1530.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  243.4 KB

I love this thing. Instead of having to back a trailer up to my racks..........I can pick the sticks off the trailer, move them through the yard, and push them onto the rack. HANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  bonus3 - Copy (2).JPG
Views: 222
Size:  120.5 KB The set of forks also forms the basis for my man lift. The platform simply slides on the forks, and is retained by a pin attached to the pallet fork frame. Great for trimming trees.

So..............................1/2" plate is pretty strong as long as you pay attention to how many square inches are in play.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't overload the tractor, or the forks...............you'll have a really nice toy to work with.

Name:  stand27.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  stand29.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  133.1 KB While the lathe is only 1300#, it's a lot nicer to move it this way than to fight it by hand. Matter of fact, this was about the only easy thing when it came to installing that damn thing in the shop

"Don't overload the tractor" he says And ya wonder why I'm fixing the front end all the time???????

Post Thanks / Like

The OP was asking about 1/2" plate only 2" wide which would only leave a 1/2" on each side with a 1" hole. 3" wide would add considerable strength.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    The OP was asking about 1/2" plate only 2" wide which would only leave a 1/2" on each side with a 1" hole. 3" wide would add considerable strength.
    In post #10, I ran the numbers for 3" plate, and recommended bumping it up to 4" for safety factor. I'm with you on 3" minimum.