+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sa200 won’t weld

Post Thanks / Like

Sa200 won’t weld

Hello all,
    I’m new here, I have a mid-late 70s SA200. The plug on my rheostat shorted out against the box causing my exciter coils to burn up. I replaced them, got her all wired up and it won’t excite. No aux power, won’t turn a grinder at all and only sparkles when I try to strike an arc. I’ve tried to flash it and still nothing. However, with a multimeter across the brush terminals I get 125. When I manually flip it to high idle it’s still the same result When I manually flip it to high idle it’s still the same result, that rules out the reed switch & PC board right? I have been using this machine without a single issue for about 5 years until last week. I spoke to a professional on the phone about my wiring to the plug on the face of the machine and the rheostat/remote is a little goofy but before I start rewiring what could it be?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sa200 won’t weld

You are going to need the correct wiring diagram for your welder. find the code and serial number. You can try calling Lincoln and see if they will send you one. If they can find it. If you have 125 vdc at the brushes and nothing at the front panel plug. you have a open wire or connection.
    Look on the barrel it the code might be stamped there.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you remove the one brush from the commutator? Are you doing this with your machine stopped and a 12 volt battery, positive to the right hand brush holder? May need to flash again. Maybe 10 seconds this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to try - reverse the new exciter wires

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist