Thread: Magic smoke and zero impact cardio

Post Thanks / Like

Magic smoke and zero impact cardio

This shizz will get your heart pumping.
    480 3ph vs new door controller. (Also 480)
    I'm thinking supplied power is delta, as the controller needs wye.

No electrician on site.
    I'm just a door guy. Lol.
    Good size flash and a loud pop. You can see the burnt traces

Name:  PXL_20201223_184202931.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  145.5 KB

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magic smoke and zero impact cardio

I don't trust the electricians to tell me what type of power is being supplied. I have asked many times in years past
    and got blank stares. They didn't know the difference between a delta and a wye. So I learned how to tell by measuring with
    a volts meter. There are three types of 480 delta power. floating with no ground and grounded one corner and standard stinger.
    wye power will have a grounded center. 277 volts from ground to each leg. Ground to each leg on a delta could be anything from zero to 480 volts. So always measure the supplied voltage before connecting and turning on. Make sure it is what you need and can use. I spent all night at a Toyota pickup frame factory because an electrician assumed he had 277 volts and connected a parking lot light to it and powered on. Power at this factory was grounded corner 480 volts. He sent power through
    the filters on a lot of welders connected to robots and blew them out. I had to short through them and find the ones that needed to be fixed and the ones that could be put back on line. SO there is no excuse for connecting to the wrong voltage.
    Always measure first, take no ones word for it. Connecting to the wrong voltage can snow ball through a building and cause $1000s in damage. Your insurance will get charged for the damage. Evan a $10 meter from Harbor freight works well enough to keep you out of trouble. Just make sure it has 600 volt leads or better.

4. Likes ronsii, crab fisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked and I actually have 277 to ground on all 3 legs, so it's probably a bad board that blew itself up.

Post Thanks / Like

About 5 yrs ago, I got talked into a new Samsung oven for the kitchen because our old one was out of style and getting ugly. On Christmas day the wife is cooking a turkey and the top of the new stove bursts into flames... like 2 to 3 ft of flames coming right out the back. My son was close by and got it pulled away from the wall/cupboards and unplugged. He was lucky it wasn't grounding out on the frame. Nothing wrong with the food in the oven, all the flames were coming from the Chinese electronics up top. After many apologies and a brand new top from Samsung, we thought the problem was fixed. A year later, same thing, but this time it was me pulling it away from the wall. Strike two, and I wasn't waiting for strike 3. Threw that cursed thing out before it burned the house down and bought a different brand. Samsung was also sued for washing machines that were doing the same thing. If anyone wants a slightly used and charred really nice low mileage oven, I'll sell it cheap. Chinese electronics are junk.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

7. Likes ronsii, 12V71, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    About 5 yrs ago, I got talked into a new Samsung oven for the kitchen because our old one was out of style and getting ugly. On Christmas day the wife is cooking a turkey and the top of the new stove bursts into flames... like 2 to 3 ft of flames coming right out the back. My son was close by and got it pulled away from the wall/cupboards and unplugged. He was lucky it wasn't grounding out on the frame. Nothing wrong with the food in the oven, all the flames were coming from the Chinese electronics up top. After many apologies and a brand new top from Samsung, we thought the problem was fixed. A year later, same thing, but this time it was me pulling it away from the wall. Strike two, and I wasn't waiting for strike 3. Threw that cursed thing out before it burned the house down and bought a different brand. Samsung was also sued for washing machines that were doing the same thing. If anyone wants a slightly used and charred really nice low mileage oven, I'll sell it cheap. Chinese electronics are junk.
    This was a German made (probably chinese components) door controller.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    This was a German made (probably chinese components) door controller.
    You'd think they tested it... including a HV test with load.... but then again you don't know what may have happened to it between the test and your 'test'

Post Thanks / Like

In 2012 I worked on a job doing the tie-in on a big irrigation well project, 1150' deep with a 700HP vertical shaft motor. I was welding in a flowmeter base while the electricians were futzting around doing a test start on the motor, somebody got something crossed and the soft start transformer exploded. that will make you pucker. It had a VFD panel by the end of the week.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you did check the line voltage. I repair over voltaged welders all the time.
    Looks like your pcb has a power module under the silver clamp bracket.
    and it looks like what failed. Hope you can get it replaced under warranty.
    when the new one one arrives check the box for the voltage rating. then check the pcb and see if there is a voltage adjustment on it or printed voltage rating.
    a 240 volt unit won't last long with 277 applied to it.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post