Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobart g213 welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart g213 welder

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Got mine home today, 1945 model year..(from what I heard anyway..)
    Looks great! I like the Hobart gold face as opposed to the offputting (miller?) blue face on the later models. If I repaint mine... it will be all Hobart gold.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Looks great! I like the Hobart gold face as opposed to the offputting (miller?) blue face on the later models. If I repaint mine... it will be all Hobart gold.
    I took one of the gas tank brackets that wasn't weathered to my local hardware store and they computer matched it. Turned out close.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

4. Likes forhire, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I took one of the gas tank brackets that wasn't weathered to my local hardware store and they computer matched it. Turned out close.
    The paint turned out great. Is that a stainless muffler? I like the compressor add-on. Do you have a tank on the trailer?

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda looks like the old cat yellow... Now I really like it

Post Thanks / Like

The paint turned out great. Is that a stainless muffler? I like the compressor add-on. Do you have a tank on the trailer?
    The muffler is a Suzuki bike muffler. It came with it but unattached, had a stubby steel pack which was almost as loud as a straight exhaust. This is much quieter. I have an air tank almost new on the front of the trailer given me by a friend. I use an air governor like on big rig compressors, it keeps pressure at 125psi. The gas tank was homemade of stainless and someone was a mighty good tig welder w/ no leaks. Word of caution to all G-213 owners: don't drop it or bounce it around too much as there are ceramic insulators on the main resistor coil. I helped a guy via the web get his running and all but one insulator was broken and he used it to make a mold to replace them using castable ceramic.For that reason when I have to tow it on rough roads I go really slow so the trailer can't bounce.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some pics of the muffler I am going to use.. My Moto Guzzi Breve 1100 has the perfect setup..These will flow all you need, and be super quiet..has a 90 built in too. No cat either..

I recognize that pump... I bought one 41 years ago.. 3hp though..
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-30-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My very cheap rebuild kit arrived today. The float fit perfectly. The gasket appears to line up and the extra bolt hole can be trimmed easily. I'm not sure about doing the full rebuild... I might just throw it together and see how it goes with minimal effort.

I did find a good rebuild guide, with a lot of color pictures, over on mytractorforum.com:
    https://www.mytractorforum.com/attac...7-pdf.2485801/

Name:  IMG_5363.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  107.4 KB

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick it together,, My filter bowl gasket leaks some, and needs some work.. Gas tank needs cleaned out too.. but purrs like a kitten..

Last edited by Brand X; 02-04-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Gas tank needs cleaned out too.. but purrs like a kitten..
    Very nice. I was really worried my tank would be a rusty mess but it's amazingly clean. I didn't get much farther than what you see in the photo. I had to setup a machine this morning and actually do some work. I still need to bead blast and plate a bunch of the linkage parts... yeah I know I had a week waiting for USPS... but I really only work under pressure.

Is that a frequency meter? I've alway set mine with an old AC mechanical clock and my watch. This looks way simpler. A quick look on scamazon and they appear dirt cheap. I might put something like this on mine. Voltage and frequency for $15. Maybe I should get it making power before I bling it out.
    https://www.amazon.com/LM-YN-Voltmet...7QM/ref=sr_1_8

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.02.16 PM.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  42.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Stick it together,, My filter bowl gasket leaks some, and needs some work.. Gas tank needs cleaned out too.. but purrs like a kitten..

the engine sounds solid, alot like my old ford NAA doesn't care how old or rancid the fuel is ,,curious to hear how u like the arc starts and that
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i

MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ebay freq meter. also my go-cart inductive tach, and Cylinder Head Temp.. The sensor will not fit around the huge Spark Plug. mag does throw quite an arc..
    My tank is not too bad, just going to let it sit with a bit of Vinegar,and it will be just fine in no time..

Jim,
    the lugs have welding Voltage, but I have to fab up some leads to try out the arc/rpm welding switch..
    Last edited by Brand X; 02-05-2021 at 01:41 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I finally had some time to bead blast and replate all the carburetor parts. I didn't bother replating all the screws, I'm not really set up well for blasting and plating super small items. While trying to remove the governor linkage it broke. I tired tigging a nut to the fragment and back it out, only to snap it off again. So I made a new nut from brass, this should prevent rusting in the future. I then used the geometric die head to thread some 1/8th inch rod for #6-32 thread and bent a hook on one end. It took the zinc plate very well. I may have to bend an offset in it but I'll sort that when I put it on the machine. My Ebay throttle lever arrived. The original no longer locked in the full speed position and I didn't feel like trying to figure out why. Now all I need to do is source a new fuel line and see if it will fire off.

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  80.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5376.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  120.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_5364.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  86.8 KB

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job,

I have not got this far on how the high speed welding switch works? It has a auto rpm while welding switch, and I would think the throttle lock would be pushed it to have it to work correctly. Like I said, I have not welded with it yet, as the test drive was just to see if it would run correctly.. It's a lot different then the Miller AEAD 200 I had.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

On mine there is no auto RPM on it. High RPM is for welding, low RPM is for 120v power. If I switch it to power at high RPM I can hear the engine pull down slightly which I'm guessing is not a good thing. I used my HF photo tach to set high RPM and my kilawatt to set frequency for low RPM. I used the small cable clamp to set high RPM and the throttle idle stop screw to set low RPM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I installed the carburetor and had a fuel line made yesterday, 1/8 NPT on the tank end and 7/16 swivel on the pump end. This morning I figured I'd give it a whirl. Still low or no compression. I pumped some oil in the cylinders and gave it a quick compression test to confirm. Needle didn't move. I was pretty sure the exhaust valves were stuck open. I pulled the head, without breaking any bolts, and sure enough, rusted wide open. A bit more oil and a few minutes of whack-a-mole, I was able to get the valves moving. Cylinder one is working consistently but cylinder two is sticking now and again, especially when I stop cranking. I'll check it again in the morning after it has had a good soak. I suspect I may have a broken valve spring. Of course it could just be really sticky. I can wish, can't I?

Name:  IMG_5377.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  133.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Try the acetone/ATF mix... works wonders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Try the acetone/ATF mix... works wonders
    Yeah, I was just reading on one of the tractor forums that the exhaust valves tend to stick after long term storage. They prescribed penetrating oil and/or polishing the valve and reaming the guide. I sprayed them with PB-Blaster. I suspect they will be fine in the morning.

I like ATF and acetone but my wife prefers the smell of Kroil.

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The sticking valve cleared up this morning after a good soak overnight. I cleaned everything and reassembled the head. Compression is sorted. I verified the timing and attempted to start the engine with a little starting fluid and it jumped to life. Yeah. But my joy was short lived as I still wasn't getting fuel at the carb. I quickly pulled the fuel pump and clean it up. I now have fuel in the carburetor bowl but it is still acting like it's not getting fuel. It runs on starting fluid but doesn't appear to be sucking in fuel. I'll pull the carb in the morning and do a more thorough cleaning. I must still have something gummed up. I didn't do a full rebuild and maybe I should have.

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The sticking valve cleared up this morning after a good soak overnight. I cleaned everything and reassembled the head. Compression is sorted. I verified the timing and attempted to start the engine with a little starting fluid and it jumped to life. Yeah. But my joy was short lived as I still wasn't getting fuel at the carb. I quickly pulled the fuel pump and clean it up. I now have fuel in the carburetor bowl but it is still acting like it's not getting fuel. It runs on starting fluid but doesn't appear to be sucking in fuel. I'll pull the carb in the morning and do a more thorough cleaning. I must still have something gummed up. I didn't do a full rebuild and maybe I should have.
    That's where I'll usually get a big can of berrymans and put the little nozzle tube on it... then force feed any openings/jets/passages that are drilled to intersect the little round punch plates - the berrymans will eat just about anything

Post Thanks / Like

Yes or a ultra sonic cleaner for hard to get places.

I am stuck on the tank clean now. My fuel line was shot, but was able to salvage the fittings . couple of pinch style clamps, and good hose will solve that issue.. I really don't know if my fuel pump works for sure.. has a wobble pump arm, and was pushing out the fuel filter when pumped.. I had a gravity feed going on start up. Going out the wrong way..Fuel bowl gasket is shot.. If i can get fuel, I know the carb is decent enough to run.. The mag spark does jump about a mile and a half..

Seems like everybody is making a bit of progress, so I think when done, pretty decent old girls
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got mine running. I picked up a fresh can of Berryman's Chem-Dip and gave the carb a good soak. While it was soaking I studied the carb diagram and realized I hadn't cleaned the main jet. Doh! It was so blocked I hadn't seen it on my first cleaning. I removed it and cleaned it real good. I then flushed everything with Berryman's B-12. After re-assembling it fired right off. I still need to set the timing with the light. I'm not sure the charging system is making power, I'm reading the same 12.5V running as I do not running. I guess I'll need to sort the charging system. I'm also not seeing AC power from the generator. I plugged in a shop light in to the 120V... and nothing. I'm only seeing about 5V AC with the meter. I'm not getting a reading on the DC welding lugs. They are fairly corroded. Looking at the manual I suspect I need to check the brushes. It's kinda nasty under the hood, it may take some time to sort the generator. I guess this will give me some time to find the correct paint color.

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am stuck on the tank clean now.
    My tank was fairly clean, so I dumped in the whole 5 gallons, now my beautiful fresh, crystal clear, gas looks old. Note to self, I should have flushed my tank. I also have to drain my tank to access the electrical bits. My optimism slays me. Why I filled the tank is beyond me.

When my fuel pump was plugged it would build back pressure. I ended up taking it apart and cleaning the rubber valves. After cleaning I could hear it suck and pump when moving the arm. I likely will need a rebuild kit in the future but it's working fine for now.

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be into the fuel pump on mine then? Just need to get clean gas, and tank before I move on to it.. I am thinking of putting a real fuel filter on the unit too..I am generally working from the tank forward. just had experience from the Guzzi I got out of Seattle.. No rust with the plastic tank, but the tank did swell from the Ethanol in the fuel..(dried out it goes back to normal size) The fuel filter is half metal, and the other half plastic. and the quick disconnect plastic fitting from the in tank fuel pump snapped off as per usual Guzzi.. That is all fixed, and was able to balance out the throttle bodies, and re-sync the TPS.. with some downloadable free software .The Guzzi fuel injection is quite simple, but if you turn one screw you should not,you are totally screwed so to speak.. Flow benched from the factory,and that sacred screw has bitten a few people.. No such screws on the Hobart, and everything can be done over.. BTW the Guzzi is about as close to the old school Wisconsin as a newer motorcycle can be.. Let just say, it's tech is closer to it then most motorcycles are..Just missing the crank start..
    Last edited by Brand X; 02-12-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

37. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No crank start!!!!!!! well, I guess that might keep guys from getting too cranky with it no matter how finicky it was

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    No crank start!!!!!!! well, I guess that might keep guys from getting too cranky with it no matter how finicky it was
    You get fuel to the Wisconsin,and the crank start is pretty easy..These things are all about running slow,and making power there..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal 95s
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

40. Likes ronsii liked this post