+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hobart g213 welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart g213 welder

Sounds like you did good, forhire. If needed I can take some pics of the crankshaft end with it laying on a tape measure for scale. I just welded a piece of 1" shaft down on the frame with a hole drilled for an implement pin to prevent it from bouncing off. Of course if it bounced that high it would probably wipe out the ceramic insulators I previously mentioned. That and the unfused 120v seems to be the only Achille's heels in this machine.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Those are cool.

* bookmarked for the future
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Those are cool.

* bookmarked for the future
    Yes,
    those, and the right welding helmet would complete the rig..

Friend took a vid at start up.. The high RPM welding cable rod does not stay tight, but a piece of hose sets it to the correct welding RPM.. It's the way it came, and works well enough..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brand X; 02-18-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lugs showed up today. Welding nicer now... I think the run time on the brushes has helped.. The machine is not as old as I was told,, Still old though.. They did not even make the Wisconsin THD until 1957

I cleaned up some of the grim off it, and it has a nice Patina, (that's staying) GW2225 is the model..
    Last thing is to try my LN-25 pro on this thing.. Runs 7018/6010 nice..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

6. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Lugs showed up today. Welding nicer now... I think the run time on the brushes has helped.. The machine is not as old as I was told,, Still old though.. They did not even make the Wisconsin THD until 1957
    My lugs showed up also.

Based on my spec # Hobart sent me a manual that was dated '73. It was newer than I expected, but sounds right because it has the 12V system rather than a magneto.

Name:  IMG_5416.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  103.4 KB

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool,
    the lugs are handy. Ran my LN-25 Pro with .035/45 Easb/Hobart Self-shielded flux-core, and some Esab .045 dual-shield with co2.. That worked ok but really the .035 self-shielded had the most range. It's not quite the same as having CV, but has some use. Still nice stick arc, and what it is about..Ran about a tank of gas through it, had some stumbles early on, float/seat must of had a bit of gunk in it was running a bit rich. cleared up, and was able to use a few gals without issues. Holds 3 gals or so.. It was nice to see it flowed, and ran the tank down towards the bottom.. Means the fuel pump is working correct..

PS,fine voltage control is working very well,a lot of range in each gear..only one I did not try is low gear.. #2 runs 3/32 rod well
    Last edited by Brand X; 02-23-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    PS,fine voltage control is working very well,a lot of range in each gear..only one I did not try is low gear.. #2 runs 3/32 rod well
    Glad to hear you have it working well. I expect my fine adjust will normalize after I've put a few hours on it. I think it just needs to wear through the oxide layer. I've been really busy on some other projects. I did find some time on Saturday to pickup a new welding rig for the old Hobart.

It hadn't run for 8 years so I picked it up cheap. Believe it or not it started right up after I got it home and put it on the charger. Gotta love diesel.

Name:  IMG_5436.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  87.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Cool on the rig..

Fine adjust needs to be in the max range to generate full AC output.. Best to start in Minimum fine setting, and in switch in the welding mode for lees load when starting.Little details are coming back slowly,just from owning other machines..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

School me on the battery requirements for the G213. If I recall the Wisconsin engine manual stated a battery is required when using the 12V regulator to prevent damage. Obviously a lot of these engines are hand crank start. Looking at photos of the machines online it appears the G213 used either one or two batteries (12V or 24V) and based on the common mount location it appears the machine didn't have a starter mounted. Often the batteries are mounted where the starter should be. So does the G213 use the batteries for the generator field winding?

This afternoon, before giving it much thought, I mounted a small motorcycle battery to replace the old battery that has been flopping around loose all this time. It's only 220 CCA but appears to start the machine without any issues. I haven't welded with it yet but I can't imagine it wouldn't work as the only scrap battery I've been using was barely up to the task.

I pocketed a scrap piece of HDPE the battery and bolted it down using a couple existing 1/4-20 holes in the frame. I still need to decide on a strap but it appears to ride fine as is. I'm thinking a velcro strap would be enough. I honestly cannot figure out where the battery was mounted originally unless the battery tray was above the starter. Even the little motorcycle battery hangs over the frame.

I guess my real questions is if I really need a full size battery or can I use this tiny motorcycle battery?

Name:  IMG_6690.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6692.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  150.5 KB
    Last edited by forhire; 08-27-2022 at 03:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a 12 volt start on the one had so use the pickup battery.
    Just used a set of jumper cables.

But think it was a option for 24 volt in 1978.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    School me on the battery requirements for the G213. If I recall the Wisconsin engine manual stated a battery is required when using the 12V regulator to prevent damage. Obviously a lot of these engines are hand crank start. Looking at photos of the machines online it appears the G213 used either one or two batteries (12V or 24V) and based on the common mount location it appears the machine didn't have a starter mounted. Often the batteries are mounted where the starter should be. So does the G213 use the batteries for the generator field winding?

This afternoon, before giving it much thought, I mounted a small motorcycle battery to replace the old battery that has been flopping around loose all this time. It's only 220 CCA but appears to start the machine without any issues. I haven't welded with it yet but I can't imagine it wouldn't work as the only scrap battery I've been using was barely up to the task.

I pocketed a scrap piece of HDPE the battery and bolted it down using a couple existing 1/4-20 holes in the frame. I still need to decide on a strap but it appears to ride fine as is. I'm thinking a velcro strap would be enough. I honestly cannot figure out where the battery was mounted originally unless the battery tray was above the starter. Even the little motorcycle battery hangs over the frame.

I guess my real questions is if I really need a full size battery or can I use this tiny motorcycle battery?

Name:  IMG_6690.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6692.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  150.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I installed a 12 volt start on the one had so use the pickup battery.
    Just used a set of jumper cables.

But think it was a option for 24 volt in 1978.
    I suspect the use of jumper cables was common. I looked at the schematic and I don't see any connection between the engine battery and the generator/welder. I burned some 6011 and 10018 last night without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I install a 12 volt start and ring gear.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    I suspect the use of jumper cables was common. I looked at the schematic and I don't see any connection between the engine battery and the generator/welder. I burned some 6011 and 10018 last night without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey🙂any one have a Hobart G-213 tjd Wisconsin operator maintenance manual. Mine is running unable to tune to load rpm not sure of carb rebuilt carb yet unable to set .help please. I am able to burn rod on it but due to low rpm 👎

Post Thanks / Like

I have work on Wisconsin without any manual. I only a parts manual.
    I like the G213 welder it give great weld.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy01 View Post
    Hey🙂any one have a Hobart G-213 tjd Wisconsin operator maintenance manual. Mine is running unable to tune to load rpm not sure of carb rebuilt carb yet unable to set .help please. I am able to burn rod on it but due to low rpm 👎

Post Thanks / Like

Emailed you the machine and engine manuals.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist