+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter Protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Catalytic Converter Protection.

Hey everyone,

I was the lucky unfortunate one to have my cat stolen on Dec 23rd at 11:30pm. What a wonderful Christmas Gift right?

I'm out over $1000 for a new cat, 2 new O2 sensors (and one of them was brand new...) plus half the pipe on my resonator. Whether I go thru insurance with a 1000$ deductible or just pay a mechanic, there's 1000$ in parts.

So, because I have to spend my hard earned money that I JUST made before Christmas on repairing my car, I'm planning a whole slew of anti theft measures.

First, of course, is the 4 security cameras ON the car itself (I do cameras for a living).

But the part I'm here for is the cat anti theft. I'm going to wrap nearly the whole exhaust up front in 1/8" wire rope, with ad many crimps as I need.

Next I'm planning on building a guard of some sort around the exhaust. I haven't had the patience to crawl under my car and see what I can weld or bolt to... I get upset every time I look under it and see 3' of my exhaust missing...

I was planning on making a rebar cage (something like 1" rebar) to stop them from easily being able to do anything. Rebar is hardened isn't it? A Sawzall doesn't go thru it easily right? I've never tried it.

After the rebar cage I was going to make essentially a skid plate out of DOM Tubing, but I'm unsure of what size to use. I was thinking 1.000" × .250" but then I thought about 1.500" × .240". I'm not sure what would be better. My vehicle is a 2006 Honda CRV, so it doesn't weigh much, but I'd like to over-engineer it so if I hit something it doesn't bend or crush (I have *some* ground clearance but my fuel tank is low, so I don't do anything crazy off-road).

Other reason for such crazy reinforcement is because I'm going to be running a wire thru the DOM and connecting it to the car alarm. DOM gets cut, and car alarm goes off.

So, what do you think, 1" or 1.5" DOM tubing?

P.S., sorry for the long post... I'm a little upset about this Christmas gift...
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catalytic Converter Protection.

rebar isn't hardened but is pia with a sawzall.
    wrapping in wire rope would be enough to slow them down to where they will move on to an easier target.
    unless you plan on covering the whole thing, make it simple as odds are you won't be hit again!

in the meantime, file a police report. they have units that specialize in vehicular thefts that look into shops or other places where your cat may have gone.
    or inquire around your area about a similar vehicle that might have mechanical issues. this is where your parts went!
    or a near by neighbor too!
    Last edited by filetobeef; 12-26-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    rebar isn't hardened but is pia with a sawzall.
    wrapping in wire rope would be enough to slow them down to where they will move on to an easier target.
    unless you plan on covering the whole thing, make it simple as odds are you won't be hit again!
    With my luck, I'll be hit again.

3rd year in a row I've had something happen to my vehicle. First year someone tried to steal my van. Last year someone t-boned my car (while I had no insurance of all times...) and this year, the cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you can't just lower your vehicle when not in use. Perhaps, a system that lowers on the criminal, just enough to apprehend them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Too bad you can't just lower your vehicle when not in use. Perhaps, a system that lowers on the criminal, just enough to apprehend them.
    Yeah... just run the airline for the liftbags right next to the cat/catcage so when they cut it down it comes ps:use a big line so it's quick!!!

Oh!!! and put some of that purple dye and florescent dye in the system too

6. Likes Kevin_Essiambre, 12V71, Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you did get screwed! But don't get screwed on the repair! A quick search on Ebay came up with aftermarket converters for a 2006 Honda CRV for $98.00-$130.00. Yes I know this is not factory but I bet it will last the rest of your 2006 Honda"s life. Any shop with a lift will be able to do the job and shouldn't take them anymore then and hour. In fact if you were in my area I'd do it for $50 labor. Maybe figure another $100 for the 2 oxygen sensors and that should be it. Has far has future theft protection. How about a motion detector alarm. When they go to cut it or shake the car an alarm goes off scaring them away. Simple and light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how CA is but down here you have to be careful WHERE you take it because it is 'emissions' related work some places are so scared they will only do stock parts!!! but there are always places that will do free market work you just have to find them quietly....

Post Thanks / Like

Also if there are 'identifying' cut marks on the pipes take good pics and visit some of the local scrap yards that buy cats... they should be courteous enough to you when you tell them it was stolen as they all know they are not supposed to be buying stolen cats!!! and if they are they would want whoever is supplying them to be dealt with... of course there are always people that want to make a buck no matter the cost to others

Of course there are wholesalers that just buy the cores... and yours would have been stripped and no longer identifiable...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah... just run the airline for the liftbags right next to the cat/catcage so when they cut it down it comes ps:use a big line so it's quick!!!

Oh!!! and put some of that purple dye and florescent dye in the system too
    A wire from a "knock the cow to it's knees" electric fencer works well too. Used to clip a slightly camoflaged wire from my fence to the service truck when I had to park it down the driveway. Kept dogs away from the tires too.

11. Likes ronsii, Kevin_Essiambre, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    A wire from a "knock the cow to it's knees" electric fencer works well too. Used to clip a slightly camoflaged wire from my fence to the service truck when I had to park it down the driveway. Kept dogs away from the tires too.
    LOL!!!! yeah... until you forget about it early in the morning...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
    Yes you did get screwed! But don't get screwed on the repair! A quick search on Ebay came up with aftermarket converters for a 2006 Honda CRV for $98.00-$130.00. Yes I know this is not factory but I bet it will last the rest of your 2006 Honda"s life. Any shop with a lift will be able to do the job and shouldn't take them anymore then and hour. In fact if you were in my area I'd do it for $50 labor. Maybe figure another $100 for the 2 oxygen sensors and that should be it. Has far has future theft protection. How about a motion detector alarm. When they go to cut it or shake the car an alarm goes off scaring them away. Simple and light weight.
    I'm concerned about shipping and wait times from ordering online. I have a friend's car to borrow until he has to go back to work in the new year, after he gets his car back i can't get to work.

I need 2 o2 sensors, a cat, and either a resonator or the flange that bolts onto the cat and a section of pipe to extend the cut piece on the resonator. It will be more than 1 hour of work...

I'm really upset about this because I WAS replacing parts with OEM quality, at least for the stuff that doesn't wear out quickly (brakes are aftermarket). I know OEM doesn't really make a difference, but its the lost money on the OEM parts that have been stolen...

Even if I ordered a Cat right now for 140$ on ebay (ironically from an Ontario seller) it would be Tuesday before the order could possibly be shipped, and all of our *wonderful* couriers have suspended guaranteed delivery dates, so even if its shipped out with overnight delivery, it might be a week or more, especially with new years eve and new years day most things being closed.

And as for the 50$ o2 sensors, they're looking like January-March delivery... I know for a fact that my engine won't run right without working O2 sensors because I went thru it a year ago... I'm lucky to get 200km to a tank without them... I normally get 300-400km a tank depending on the weather.

I really wish my deductible wasn't 1000$...

I really don't know what to do here either. All I know is how I'm going to avoid it going missing again.

The thief is only gonna get maybe 150-200$ out of the cat and here i am looking at minimum 500-1500$ in repairs... on a car that I've already spent 3500$ on... rear end bearings, rear end suspension, alternator, brakes all around, rust repairs, the list goes on and on. I'm in too deep to just sell it and buy another vehicle... 4 months ago I was already looking for a spare engine and transmission in case something happens to mine, For the sole reason of I'm in too deep into this vehicle.

Sorry, I'm ranting again. I'm frustrated in case you can't tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Also if there are 'identifying' cut marks on the pipes take good pics and visit some of the local scrap yards that buy cats... they should be courteous enough to you when you tell them it was stolen as they all know they are not supposed to be buying stolen cats!!! and if they are they would want whoever is supplying them to be dealt with... of course there are always people that want to make a buck no matter the cost to others

Of course there are wholesalers that just buy the cores... and yours would have been stripped and no longer identifiable...
    There's several people on Facebook kijiji Craigslist etc that will buy cats from anyone, no questions asked, for cash. Checking is useless, especially because I didn't have any identification marks on it.

It's sad, you know... I was thinking about people stealing cats a few weeks ago when I saw an image online. I didn't think it was a big issue here... clearly it is.

I work my butt off to make ends meet this year, barely getting by because of covid, and this thief just has to ruin Christmas for me.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!! yeah... until you forget about it early in the morning...
    True. I used the same trick on my old Ford 600 tractor after the cows ate the spark plug wires once. They like to lick machinery. I forgot about that and brought home an 821 Case loader and they ate the transmission control harness. Now they reside in the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just ordered a 189$ cat, plus 24 dollars for tax, plus 35$ for FedEx shipping... let's see if it will show up.

Problem is, i can't install it on the vehicle until I get some anti theft installed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
    There's several people on Facebook kijiji Craigslist etc that will buy cats from anyone, no questions asked, for cash. Checking is useless, especially because I didn't have any identification marks on it.

It's sad, you know... I was thinking about people stealing cats a few weeks ago when I saw an image online. I didn't think it was a big issue here... clearly it is.

I work my butt off to make ends meet this year, barely getting by because of covid, and this thief just has to ruin Christmas for me.
    Yeah, I hear you... but I mean the way it was cut as for identifying marks like when they use a sawzall and have a slight angle or gouge... not necessarily a personal identifying mark

Yeah same around here, there are lots of 'in-between' buyers that don't pay as much and they use a loophole in the laws since they are not a 'recycling buyer' and then they just sell it as theirs to a regular scrap yard and there is no recourse legally

You know video surveillance DVR systems are dirt cheap(couple hundred) anymore... is it a possibility you can set something up to cover the area you park in so's at least you might get some evidence as to who is thieving around there???

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I hear you... but I mean the way it was cut as for identifying marks like when they use a sawzall and have a slight angle or gouge... not necessarily a personal identifying mark

Yeah same around here, there are lots of 'in-between' buyers that don't pay as much and they use a loophole in the laws since they are not a 'recycling buyer' and then they just sell it as theirs to a regular scrap yard and there is no recourse legally

You know video surveillance DVR systems are dirt cheap(couple hundred) anymore... is it a possibility you can set something up to cover the area you park in so's at least you might get some evidence as to who is thieving around there???
    You mean surveillance like this?

My good camera wasn't recording... its the oddball image.

Seeing as how this is the third time I've had something happen here at my apartment, I'm going all out this time. I've already got 4 cameras ready to mount on the car. I've got a second battery for the cameras. I've got wireless equipment to record camera footage on a computer inside. One camera is going to be recorded to the could as well ( might have more than 1 camera, have to see what my friend will charge me for their services).

I install cameras for a company that does construction site security. We've got some tricks up our sleeve. I'm also going to try and make friends with the neighbors around the hood and see if I could install some cameras and wireless gear at their houses to watch the neighborhood (but more importantly, who comes in and out of the parking lot here at the apartment).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think with the methheads we have in this area, the only way to stop them is to catch them in the act and "re-educate" them. I have built enclosures for all sorts of stuff and they still get into it. Some of the farmers have had copper wire pulled out of panels while it is still live with 480 volts.
    My shop has lots of flood lights, cameras, and a good alarm system. I think the word is out not to mess with it, but I still lose little stuff in the yard. A cheap CB radio now and then is appeasement I guess.

20. Likes ronsii, Kevin_Essiambre, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there is some way you could get the apartment property owner/s to spring for a better setup for the parking areas??? besides what you put up... I have a few systems and for ~200usD for a 4 cam system w/hd they have pretty decent AHD resolution, my buddy has put a few of the ~1k costco system in at his yard and they have very decent imaging

@12v... I like the re-educate idea... I think I would learn them how to dig deep holes... that way you get some labor out of them before they quit their thieving career...

22. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What an ordeal, that really sucks. 1" rebar looks tough, but a sawzall or grinder with a cutoff wheel will go through it no problem.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

24. Likes ronsii, Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    What an ordeal, that really sucks. 1" rebar looks tough, but a sawzall or grinder with a cutoff wheel will go through it no problem.
    Wire rope is hard for a sawzall... but if they have a grinder with them.. which I'm sure most do.. then it just adds 20 seconds to their time...

Post Thanks / Like

So it kind of looks like your best bet would be a deterrent device like one of these...

Name:  remote-anti-methhead-device50.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  remote-anti-methhead-devicetrk50.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  182.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Wire rope is hard for a sawzall... but if they have a grinder with them.. which I'm sure most do.. then it just adds 20 seconds to their time...
    Thats why I want to make a DOM skid plate type design and run an alarm wire thru it. First thing I'm investing in is the new aftermarket alarm system for the car. Once they start, the alarm will go off and they'll either bail, or try and finish the job, which will be hard with an alarm drawing attention.

That, plus more cameras means they're going to get caught.

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there is some way you could get the apartment property owner/s to spring for a better setup for the parking areas??? besides what you put up... I have a few systems and for ~200usD for a 4 cam system w/hd they have pretty decent AHD resolution, my buddy has put a few of the ~1k costco system in at his yard and they have very decent imaging

@12v... I like the re-educate idea... I think I would learn them how to dig deep holes... that way you get some labor out of them before they quit their thieving career...
    Yeah, my landlord doesn't like me, and even if they did, they're the cheapest landlord I've ever met. They won't put 1 cent more into these units than required by law... and even that requires filing a complaint with bylaw... (as an example, back in March they put up signs saying they've ordered hand sanitizer and dispensers and they'll be installed when they get them. Fast forward to August when our city made it law to have hand sanitizer, it STILl took them over 1 month to comply. Mid September we finally got them, after my neighbor mentioned they're not exempt from that bylaw just because we have no elevators... and back in July, sanitizer was installed at all their other rental locations...).

When they re-paved the parking lot, they got rid of the block heater receptacles and the pole lights to make snow removal cheaper... problem with that is, they're required by law to reduce the cost of rent (removal of a service), and the floodlights they installed to replace the pole lights shine into 99% of the windows here because they used large lights but only a few to light up over an acre of parking lot in the center of 7 buildings...

But I digress. Point is, they won't, unless I pay for the equipment, and pay for the installation, and pay for the cost of the power.

Post Thanks / Like

I would install the cat with a quick disconnect.
    You can take it in every night and put it on the night stand.

OR
    invest in a cloaking device ... so the bad guys can't see your car.

ding ding ding!!!!!
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have emissions testing. Will it impact emissions testing? Will you need to remove anything for inspection.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist