Good advice ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on getting a small mill

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Good advice ^^^

Thanks, I didn't want to make it seem like the gear head was a bad machine. They're really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Thanks, I didn't want to make it seem like the gear head was a bad machine. They're really nice.
    Because of work I have run just about everything geared vs belt. I prefer geared because if you reverse polarity it is instant. But... always a but right. A variable speed belt fed allows for finer touch on feeds and speeds. For the most part you don't need this, but for some of the exotic metals it helps save your cutter.

Carbide, cobalt, hss they all fall to feeds and speeds on something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Because of work I have run just about everything geared vs belt. I prefer geared because if you reverse polarity it is instant. But... always a but right. A variable speed belt fed allows for finer touch on feeds and speeds. For the most part you don't need this, but for some of the exotic metals it helps save your cutter.

Carbide, cobalt, hss they all fall to feeds and speeds on something.

I can't speak to all machines. I haven't run them. You've probably run a sh%tload more than I'll ever run. I'm thinkin' every machine runs different...........which makes me sorta feel funny recommending stuff for people. I only know how my machine runs, and that ain't a true representative example.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to all machines. I haven't run them. You've probably run a sh%tload more than I'll ever run. I'm thinkin' every machine runs different...........which makes me sorta feel funny recommending stuff for people. I only know how my machine runs, and that ain't a true representative example.
    What i have seen you run yours well sir, and I can't think of many I haven't run... some more than others, but their are similarities and differences of course. And like I said in my first response this thread i have a Bridgeport. So yes I am spoiled for parts, and have collected extra tooling over 25 years in the trade. I weld because I enjoy fabrication, momma doesn't care for my fascination but likes that I fix most things.

I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing that scares the daylights out of me is any gear drive machine. I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying they scare me.

If you get caught in a gear drive machine, it won't have the chance to stall before it eats a part of your body. Belt driven machines have a built in clutch that can save ya. Those belts will slip when they run up against a stall load.

If you work in a cold shop, you will be wearing some sorta warm clothing. A belt drive might ruin a cuff, but it won't take your arm if your lucky.

The usual yada yada yada...........don't wear loose clothing around machinery..........but it can happen.

I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I really like to cover all the bases.......................and................... I'm tellin' ya from experience.

Plan for the worst, and if it doesn't happen.....................you're Golden. If it happens, you're still nice and clean, not covered with blood, when ya sit down to dinner She won't say "poor baby"............she'll complain about making a mess on her floor (K'kins was an athlete when she was young.........her reply to any injury........."Can ya still walk?")

This is how I've survived 65 years. I was the guy who went down the hill at 12mph, instead of 25mph. I made it home every night.

Metal working is a lotta fun, and it's rewarding. Keep it safe, and it keeps on giving ya pleasure.

this is by far the furthest thing from the truth.
    do you honestly think a 2, 3,5 or more hp belt driven bridgeport or similar machine will slip before it cuts body parts off?
    flesh and bones are NOT a stall load for most machinery out there,even more so with sharp cutting tools.

gear drive or belt makes no difference

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be like your crazy Uncle, but I do not BS.

Name:  pure dumb luck.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  195.2 KB

Name:  pure dumb luck2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  237.5 KB

Rubber bib covering the leadscrew at the back of the table will sometimes lift the covers on the oilers as the table approaches the column. You have to move the bib as the table moves to prevent this. Usually not a problem. And usually my sleeves are rolled up. Sleeve was down, and got caught. Pulled the entire sleeve into the end mill. Rolled it up between the end mill and the steel. Belts slipped, and I was able to shut the machine off.

A great lesson in the dangers. And a seminal moment. Sh7t happens.

Mill was running at 600rpm, which is lower torque on a belt drive system. It will slip under load if it isn't balz tight.

Loose clothing can kill you. A small horsepower belt drive machine might give you a second chance. Just sayin'........................................

Post Thanks / Like

I have a shirt that is more ripped up than that!!!! and more blood on it just from an angle grinder!!!!! also have a belt drive 2hp mill and if you leave the drive system loose you can't get anything done except ruining your cutters Have four drill presses over 1hp with belt drive... same thing if you leave the drives loose then they stall out and all you get done is ... squat!!! ANY machine can inflict serious damage on the human body!!!!

Sounds like you need to fix the way cover on your machine so it isn't a nuisance...and a safety hazard

11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting samm. I will show my son, he is very careful, but we all need a reminder. I worked in farm country many PTO stories. Spinning metal and loose clothes = bad.
    Thank guys more HW for me. LOL

13. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it has already been said but ALWAYS try to find a decent machine (obviously) but WITH lots of tooling.

You may be paying more than you think initially but it will usually pay off in the long run.

Of course this applies not only to mills but virtually ANY machine that requires tooling. Punches, benders, lathes, etc.

If I was a machinery dealer I would structure a program where I would provide the tool FREE with a signed commitment to purchase a specified minimum amount of tooling per year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

15. Likes ronsii, pepi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just joined a machinist form, told you a work slow. I'm going to look for a table top mill, I just don't have the room for anything else. The old pole barn dream is probably never going to happen. In the table top world any brands you like or hate used is fine. I will take my son "the inspector" with me. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Just joined a machinist form, told you a work slow. I'm going to look for a table top mill, I just don't have the room for anything else. The old pole barn dream is probably never going to happen. In the table top world any brands you like or hate used is fine. I will take my son "the inspector" with me. lol
    Good move, Reebz

Don't rush into buying anything. The more machines you come across and research , the better informed you will be.

:

18. Likes Reebz, ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    Buy size that is best for type work.
    I one time my life I had Bridgeports and other large mills.
    Today I have a bench top mill it great as for small parts and small spaces.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Good move, Reebz

Don't rush into buying anything. The more machines you come across and research , the better informed you will be.

20. Likes Reebz liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist