Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Cave Table - Ideas for Finishing Touches

Post Thanks / Like

Man Cave Table - Ideas for Finishing Touches

Messing around from the scrap pile. Brake rotor base, camshaft pedestal, and a steel plate from an old store display for the top (holes included).

Name:  20210101_150836-01.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  177.5 KB

I'm getting a small brush to clean up the crevasses in the lower welds. The rotor is primed so the eventual buyer can choose whatever color they want it to ultimately be.

Name:  20210101_150853-01-01.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  129.7 KB

I have a 12" x 16" x 1/4" glass top coming that will clamp on using the two cam hold down saddles - it'll overhang the "top" end by about 4" and the sides by 1" or so. I inset a $1 coin in the center hole. I also have two copper shot glasses coming that will nestle in the two big holes.

I'm liking everything so far but still would welcome any thoughts or ideas for finishing touches. Especially the (3) tapped holes on the "bottom" end. I thought about some kind of small railing but my "fine fabrication" skills are pretty lacking.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes whtbaron, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Man Cave Table - Ideas for Finishing Touches

Your welding is getting a little bit better... I would make a full circumference weld on the bottom
    Even if you have to put a bolt in the holes from the bottom

Would look better.

You have great design ideas just need to get better at welding.

Keep at it.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

4. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Your welding is getting a little bit better... I would make a full circumference weld on the bottom
    Even if you have to put a bolt in the holes from the bottom

Would look better.

You have great design ideas just need to get better at welding.

Keep at it.
    Yeah, I'm still hit and miss. Partially it's the "yips" - when putting the welding table and anvil stand together everything went really well. But when I start thinking "don't F this up..." on something I deem critical, Patsy Cline fills my head and I fall to pieces lol.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Some bolts in the threaded holes sticking up 2-3" and stainless wire wove around them through drilled holes.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I'm liking everything so far but still would welcome any thoughts or ideas for finishing touches. Especially the (3) tapped holes on the "bottom" end. I thought about some kind of small railing but my "fine fabrication" skills are pretty lacking.
    What you're looking for is called "Gallery Rails" and you can buy them for not much money. Of course, it would be super easy to make something from copper plumbing parts to match the copper shot glasses you have on the way.

https://www.vintagehardware.com/vint...re.php?cat=214

It might be better to use metallic copper paint on some steel bar rather than trying to not ding up or bend copper ground wire or tubing.

8. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass showed up early - Yay.

Name:  20210102_143214-01.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  131.5 KB

Silicone bumpers top & bottom - just the right tension to hold it securely.

Name:  20210102_143240-01.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  60.2 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

I like those gallery rails that Vaughn posted for the front. Looks like there's still a couple 1/4" holes by the shot glasses... could be used for an ice pick and a bottle opener. Looking good. Your clamps off the same valve train as the camshaft?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

11. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I like those gallery rails that Vaughn posted for the front. Looks like there's still a couple 1/4" holes by the shot glasses... could be used for an ice pick and a bottle opener. Looking good. Your clamps off the same valve train as the camshaft?
    Somebody was giving away the double overhead cams and the aluminum "carriers" for them off a BMW inline 6, like this:

Name:  20160805_112738.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  96.3 KB

Yes, I used the cam bearing caps as the clamps. Trimmed down one ear so there was room for the bumpers and the glass.

I want to make the carriers into shot glass flight trays - if I can ever track down glasses that will fit in the holes.

Name:  20210102_184419-01.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  123.2 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be careful that the edge of the glass is not touching the vertical edge of your hold down clamp.
    Especially if it's toughened (Tempered in US)
    A good guess is better than a bad measurement

15. Likes Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Just be careful that the edge of the glass is not touching the vertical edge of your hold down clamp.
    Especially if it's toughened (Tempered in US)
    Good point. I worked in the glass industry in a prior life so I know enough to give tempered edges some space - a customer - probably not.

I'll add small silicone dots to the inside of the caps to make sure there's a gap.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

17. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's slick. The rotors I've used for projects have been hit and miss. I did weld on a few and tried preheating and weld when still hot. Same with frm disc blades. I just don't like the way they weld. I'm sure they'll hold fine but don't like it. Now I add plate with plug welded studs or bolt to it.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    That's slick. The rotors I've used for projects have been hit and miss. I did weld on a few and tried preheating and weld when still hot. Same with frm disc blades. I just don't like the way they weld. I'm sure they'll hold fine but don't like it. Now I add plate with plug welded studs or bolt to it.
    It's hard to tell what any given rotor is made from. Cast Iron, Steel, or Semi Steel.

I had a very non productive conversation with the Tech Department at Dorman about their specs for interference fits on wheel studs. The idiot flat refused to believe that a hub could be anything but aluminum, or steel. I tried to convince the idiot that I happened to be looking, right in front of my big beak, at a gen-u-whine cast iron hub. Or, at the very least, a semi steel hub.

21. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a rail using brass plumbing parts - I'm pleased with the design, but have to tarnish/age it somehow. Doing some tests with vinegar and salt on other fittings to see if it will work or I'll need to get some aging acid.

Name:  20210103_104248-01.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  20210103_104310-01.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  20210103_104321-01.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  48.0 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

23. Likes psacustomcreations, VaughnT, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this type of stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Made a rail using brass plumbing parts - I'm pleased with the design, but have to tarnish/age it somehow. Doing some tests with vinegar and salt on other fittings to see if it will work or I'll need to get some aging acid.
    I like it Shootr - for the brass - any thoughts on using some heat - a plumbers torch and seeing what happens to the brass? Just a thought if you have extra laying around. Also agree with the prior suggestion of continuing the weld all the way around on the bottom.

What about using another cam saddle as a cigar holder? can even hang a small metal can below it as an ash catcher....

Post Thanks / Like

There are several videos and bunch of sites that suggest vinegar and salt to age or antique brass.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pleased with the design, but have to tarnish/age it somehow.
    Looks great.

To age the brass, I use Brownell's bluing solution. You can get it at Walmart or any hunting supply place. Works instantly and the patina depends entirely on how well you clean the brass. Generally, I won't clean it at all, leaving whatever oils are on it to help create a very organic look.

One quick wipe will immediately change the color of the brass. If you just dip it in, there's no telling what you'll get. You can then buff it out with some 0000 steel wool and coat it again, playing around until you get a look you like.

Here's a pic that kinda shows a brass screw that's been dipped in the bluing solution. From shiny brand new brass to coulda-been-ancient brass in less than a minute. No brushing, scrubbing, neutralizing, etc. Just dip it, dry it, and maybe give it a touch of oil.

Name:  AJ's Coffee Mug Rack Detail.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  152.3 KB

29. Likes psacustomcreations, ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Looks great.

To age the brass, I use Brownell's bluing solution. You can get it at Walmart or any hunting supply place. Works instantly and the patina depends entirely on how well you clean the brass. Generally, I won't clean it at all, leaving whatever oils are on it to help create a very organic look.

One quick wipe will immediately change the color of the brass. If you just dip it in, there's no telling what you'll get. You can then buff it out with some 0000 steel wool and coat it again, playing around until you get a look you like.

Here's a pic that kinda shows a brass screw that's been dipped in the bluing solution. From shiny brand new brass to coulda-been-ancient brass in less than a minute. No brushing, scrubbing, neutralizing, etc. Just dip it, dry it, and maybe give it a touch of oil.

I have used that exact stuff on steel but never knew it could work on brass. Good info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have used that exact stuff on steel but never knew it could work on brass.
    Same with me, until one day I thought I'd try it on a brass screw just to see what would happen. Blackens galvanized stuff, too, so you don't have to worry about stripping off the zinc plating beforehand.

33. Likes ronsii, Shootr, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally do not like rusty stuff. How do you plan to keep the steel from rusting. I would probably use some clear coat on it myself. I would probably do the rail too. My wife on several occasions has stated she would never allow some dirty rust thing in her house to be used for furniture or any thing else when she has seen some of this stuff on tv. She knows I could build something like this and I think she just wanted to head it off at the pass.

This is the same gal that let me put my motorcycle in the kitchen of our first house for the winter, before I built a garage.

35. Likes Shootr, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have on stainless steel but takes heat
    I have not try on brass

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried copper plating brass with sulfuric acid and copper sulfate? Saw an interesting post elsewhere about it.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

The Walmart's around here are too PC to stock much gun stuff - lucky for me, in AZ, gun shops are on every corner .

Going to see how the bluing works tonight. Thanks again.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

The Walmart's around here are too PC to stock much gun stuff - lucky for me, in AZ, gun shops are on every corner .

Going to see how the bluing works tonight. Thanks again.
    Cold bluing works pretty good, but it wears off very easily. I'd try some of it, then put some clear coat over it. Just to see if the two chemicals interact in a good way. Then you can do the work on your table when you determine it works.

40. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to build the black powder revolvers from a kit. Was a lot of fun, and they shot pretty nice.

Anyways, I blued them with cold blue. Didn't actually give a "blue" finish...........it gave a nice blackish finish. Looked really good.

What I did notice, was how the tip of the barrel would shed its finish due to repeated inserting it in the holster. It's not a deep finish. That's why I'm thinking a clear coat might help on a piece of furniture.

42. Likes Shootr liked this post