+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Welding

Post Thanks / Like

New to Welding

A few weeks ago I took a hobbyist class at the local welding store. It was a great class in a great facility. Prior to the class, I couldn't have welded my way out of a wet paper bag. Now I know enough to be dangerous.

I went into the class thinking about buying a Miller Syncrowave 210. In discussing my "plans" with the instructor he recommended the Millermatic 220. It turns out that both machines are now outside what I can afford. I'll be doing mostly aluminum projects in my garage, likely for my RV trailer or my side-by-side. But I don't want to limit myself to just aluminum.

What got me started on learning to weld was a project to build tilting frames for ground deployable solar panels. I joined the corners of the frame with riveted plates. That got old real fast. I think a welded joint would have taken half the time and looked ten times better.

2. Likes John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Welding

Welcome! I think people are often shocked at welder prices. I picked a nice little DC 3 in 1 unit on AMAZON at a great price, it wouldn't be good on aluminum unless doing mig, check around, you'll find something, try looking for used machines, CRAIGSLIST is a good start.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Welcome! I think people are often shocked at welder prices. I picked a nice little DC 3 in 1 unit on AMAZON at a great price, it wouldn't be good on aluminum unless doing mig, check around, you'll find something, try looking for used machines, CRAIGSLIST is a good start.
    I've been watching Craigslist every couple of days. Half the equipment I don't recognize what it is for. I called the local gas store that sells Miller and asked about used equipment. They said they have some come in and it goes back out almost as fast.

I think I'm going with a Primeweld TIG225x. It's in my budget enough that I can afford to buy supplies. I need to figure out how the whole bottle of argon thing works. Do I buy the bottle? Am I renting it?
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L
    2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP in 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB using 3" Andersen WDH
    I don't always tow heavy, but when I do, I use my Superduty.
    Here fishy, fishy... ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ >< ((( °>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
    I've been watching Craigslist every couple of days. Half the equipment I don't recognize what it is for. I called the local gas store that sells Miller and asked about used equipment. They said they have some come in and it goes back out almost as fast.

I think I'm going with a Primeweld TIG225x. It's in my budget enough that I can afford to buy supplies. I need to figure out how the whole bottle of argon thing works. Do I buy the bottle? Am I renting it?
    The Primeweld 225 is probably the best value in TIG welders going....never hear a bad word about them. I have used a fair number of TIG welders from $1K to $7K machines and I'd really, really like to try a Primeweld to compare....waiting for someone I know to buy one!

As far as the bottle goes, it varies with size, location, and supplier. Some areas you can only rent larger bottles, and others you can buy any size you want. Around here it varies with the store you're dealing with. I think buying a bottle makes way more sense. If you buy the biggest bottle you can afford/fit in your space it will lower your overall cost in the long run. You'll just have to see what your options are.

I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 125CF, but really prefer the big 330CF bottles since I'm usually welding on the weekends and evenings. The last thing I want is to have to stop a project because my bottle is empty with no way to swap. I actually have two 330s and one 80...I use the 80 for when I want to weld anywhere but in my shop. The cost of filling a 330 is less than double the cost of an 80 if my memory is correct, and nearly four times as much gas.

Usually, if you buy the bottle from a shop, and take it back to them, they won't charge you for a test if it goes out of date while you have it. Sometimes people don't realize that when they buy a bottle they aren't really getting a brand new bottle with a new test...it's more like "a bottle".
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

6. Likes HRTKD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    The Primeweld 225 is probably the best value in TIG welders going....never hear a bad word about them. I have used a fair number of TIG welders from $1K to $7K machines and I'd really, really like to try a Primeweld to compare....waiting for someone I know to buy one!

As far as the bottle goes, it varies with size, location, and supplier. Some areas you can only rent larger bottles, and others you can buy any size you want. Around here it varies with the store you're dealing with. I think buying a bottle makes way more sense. If you buy the biggest bottle you can afford/fit in your space it will lower your overall cost in the long run. You'll just have to see what your options are.

I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 125CF, but really prefer the big 330CF bottles since I'm usually welding on the weekends and evenings. The last thing I want is to have to stop a project because my bottle is empty with no way to swap. I actually have two 330s and one 80...I use the 80 for when I want to weld anywhere but in my shop. The cost of filling a 330 is less than double the cost of an 80 if my memory is correct, and nearly four times as much gas.

Usually, if you buy the bottle from a shop, and take it back to them, they won't charge you for a test if it goes out of date while you have it. Sometimes people don't realize that when they buy a bottle they aren't really getting a brand new bottle with a new test...it's more like "a bottle".
    Thanks. I've got a lot to learn about this "welding" thing.
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L
    2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP in 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB using 3" Andersen WDH

Post Thanks / Like

IF you want to do aluminum, depending on thickness, you will need lots of amps. The machine you buy you'll have long time. Choose wisely !! I say stick with the proven ones, Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart. They are the leaders of the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

I put in an order today for the PrimeWeld TIG 225x. The $25 off coupon helped a bit. I can't justify spending $3000+ for a machine that is a hobby. At least not in my budget. I would have like to get that Multimatic 220, but it's just not going to happen. A Platinum F-450 would be nice, but what I really need is an XL F-250.

I can't see me welding stuff for compensation. I would rather be out fishing/camping/hiking/hunting that sitting in my garage. Plus, I doubt that I'll ever be good enough to work on someone else's metal.
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist