Thread: Water cooled tig torches

Post Thanks / Like

Water cooled tig torches

I recently got a lincoln aspect 230 ac/dc tog with a 26 air cooled torch. Have a old miller radiator 1a water cooler that works.. thinking of getting a watercooled torch. Opinions on going CK vs lincoln?
    Im not a pro all day welder, just thought since I already have the cooler i would upgrade torches especially for alum. Is a 20 watercooled much smaller than a 26 air?

2. Dislikes Gamble disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water cooled tig torches

Usually, yes, a 20-series is tiny compared to a traditional 26-series
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

4. Likes nick121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln watercooled torches are nearly the same as CK or even CK. Even then they are both made in China. Not a big fan of them.

I prefer Made in USA WeldTec/TecTorch products especially the SpeedWay 320. Their copper consumables are Tellurium copper high temp alloy. If you can't find them online your LWS can order them for you.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

6. Likes ronsii, nick121, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will look into the weld tec torches. would rather have made in usa than china

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Speedway 320 torch and like it very much. I do not make a living doing welding but have done welding for many years for my own purposes. Check out the Speedway torch, it is water cooled and small in size for it's capacity. Best of luck with your choice. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Looked at the Speedway 320 recently, they don't list the duty cycle and they're hard to find online.
    They need to do better in making their product available, JMO

It does look like it'd be a nice torch though
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Looked at the Speedway 320 recently, they don't list the duty cycle and they're hard to find online.
    They need to do better in making their product available, JMO

It does look like it'd be a nice torch though
    The Speedway320 is rated at 320 amps continuous(100%). The Speedway line is expensive but considered a professional grade product. http://www.tectorch.com/PDF/Updated_...arts_sheet.pdf

I have the direct line to the regional sales rep and get some of the beta version products. He helped me cobble together a non valve Rocker aircooled torch. The Rocker aircooled power cable is rated at 250 amps and with the specified adapter can attach a 17 style compact torch. Anyway here is the TecTorch link. http://www.tectorch.com/

I see WeldTec/TecTorch everywhere online. Here is a good source. https://weldfabulous.com/brands/weld...selling&page=1
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

The SW320 is still one of the highest rated torches for a 20 size in the world CK and Binzel and others do a 320amp torch too, but they're only rated to 320 on DC, and downrated to around 250 amps AC. Still very capable though, unless you're using it on a robot you're not gonna reach 100% duty cycle anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

"Is a 20 watercooled much smaller than a 26 air?"

Name:  TORCHES20VS26.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  109.6 KB

The 20 series torch is a little bit smaller than the 26 series, but the real difference is in the weight, and stiffness of the torch cable. Even if you don't do hours of tig welding at 250 amps you will appreciate the manueverability of the torch, and that it doesn't get scorching hot. My CNI 26 series torch is 25 feet long and has the heft of a 250 amp stinger on 1/0 ga welding cable, and when it gets hot it stays hot.It has been my field torch for years(lots of scratch start from transformer. Last job with it was aluminum though. For years I welded lots of steel , stainless steel, and aluminum, with air cooled 17's, and 26's. When I finally got a cooler, and a 20 series torch, it made such a difference not having to fight the weight and stiffness of the heavy/stiff torch.

"Opinions on going CK vs lincoln?"

Lincoln has always seemed to cost more,like miller they sell someone else's torch with their name on it(I like my Miller/weldcraft 17). CK are good torches that seem to be well priced. I would recommend the Weld-tec with the flex head. The price is pretty reasonable, and for the rare weld where I need just a little extra bend in the torch, its well worth it (I'm not sure, but I think the extra for the flex head wasn't more than $20).

If you already have the cooler, you should definitely invest in a water cooled 20 series torch. Don't forget to get extra collets and cups when you buy the torch.

Hope This Helps
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

13. Likes nick121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    The SW320 is still one of the highest rated torches for a 20 size in the world CK and Binzel and others do a 320amp torch too, but they're only rated to 320 on DC, and downrated to around 250 amps AC. Still very capable though, unless you're using it on a robot you're not gonna reach 100% duty cycle anyway.
    I have never heard that before. I have spoken to WeldTec on this and AFAIR the Speedway 320 is rated 320 amps both AC and DC, which is why I faithfully use it on my Dynasty 350s. I use the SW450 on my Dynasty 700. Never had a problem. The key is the high performance power cables which produce very little inductive heat(with AC current being less inductive). The coolant flow rate is top of the line as well. Because the power cable and torch head can handle the amps/heat, many standard cheap chinese soft copper collets cannot, so WeldTec makes their collets from Tellurium/Copper alloy that does not fail under heat.

The only place I see the torch head take abuse under the amp/heat load is degradation of the rubber around the neck which hardens up and erodes over time. My torches never get hot but many a time the heat radiation from the weld burns the finger tips of my gloves, especially on my rod feeding hand. I will say I don't care for the hump on the handle. The rest of the crew does.

15. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  WhatHump.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  81.0 KB

The WeldTec torch is about 2 years old and has done at least a dozen of 200 + amp aluminum jobs, and lots of 1/8" to 1/4" jobs. The CNI torch is about circa 1995 and has been used mostly in the 100-160 amp range and doesn't look too bad. I have a 17 torch that came with my 1990 Miller econotwin HF, and that one is also a CNI (made in NJ) the handle body is a bit blistered, and the cable sheathing is starting to crackle. This torch has taken the worst punishment , and it shows. Once the HF comes through the cable, I might retire it ,,,, NAHH, Ill probably just replace the cable/hose.

320 Amps 100% duty cycle ? Thats gonna tighten up the feeder hand glove, if not burn any cloth on the fingers. https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Name:  WhatHump.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  81.0 KB

The WeldTec torch is about 2 years old and has done at least a dozen of 200 + amp aluminum jobs, and lots of 1/8" to 1/4" jobs. The CNI torch is about circa 1995 and has been used mostly in the 100-160 amp range and doesn't look too bad. I have a 17 torch that came with my 1990 Miller econotwin HF, and that one is also a CNI (made in NJ) the handle body is a bit blistered, and the cable sheathing is starting to crackle. This torch has taken the worst punishment , and it shows. Once the HF comes through the cable, I might retire it ,,,, NAHH, Ill probably just replace the cable/hose.

320 Amps 100% duty cycle ? Thats gonna tighten up the feeder hand glove, if not burn any cloth on the fingers. https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif
    Name:  speedway-torch-handle-large.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  81.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I haven't seen any CK torch (water cooled), Standard or Master series, on their website that isn't rated at 100% AC/DC, I don't used air cooled torches so I don't even look at those.

I recently bought the CK230 (300 amps), but looked at the Speedway first as I wanted to possibility try that, Shovelon, I'll take your word that they are 100% duty cycle, but still haven't
    seen that info published by them.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you're right! CK230 rated at 300 amps 100% ACHF.

The Binzel equivelent is 340 amps DC downrated to 260 amps AC, as is Lorch, and potentially others... but to be fair, you're not going to cook it even on a 350 amp machine, since you'll never come near 100% duty cycle welding manually.

Basically, they're all good.

20. Likes shovelon, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, yeah that does help me out. I'll likely go weldtec or ck at this point. I have a weldcraft water cooled but it's a big one, I think 400 amps but seems well made too.
    Even for the small amount of tig I have done so far, the 26 torch cables are quite heavy after a while.