+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pattern Book

Post Thanks / Like

Pattern Book

I've always found it very handy to have the old books on hand. For some reason, they are just more easily understood. Maybe it's the writing style. Dunno. But I like them and The Archive is a wonderful resource for anyone curious about how things were done back in the day.

On top of that, most everything they did then is still applicable today.

One of my favorite "Pattern Books", for example, helps you do a ton of things in the shop even if you're not working tin. Many is the time I've used these layout techniques to design and cut out thicker steel that I wanted to forge to shape and weld up into a larger piece. It's real easy to draw something out on a piece of paper, but drawing a working pattern that'll get you from a flat sheet to a curved sheet that'll fit like you want it to fit.... well, a Pattern Book sure comes in handy!

https://archive.org/details/tinsmith...ge/20/mode/2up

Name:  Tinsmith-Helper-and-Pattern-Book-47.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  48.0 KB

2. Likes ronsii, dmc, AlabamaJoe, thegary, Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pattern Book

It is a good book.
    I think most could use this book. I have more book one showing this data that dates back to 1940's.
    My father first show how to use data on plate. We had a drafting board 40" x 96" to and use white butcher paper 36" wide to draw out patterns.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I've always found it very handy to have the old books on hand. For some reason, they are just more easily understood. Maybe it's the writing style. Dunno. But I like them and The Archive is a wonderful resource for anyone curious about how things were done back in the day.

On top of that, most everything they did then is still applicable today.

One of my favorite "Pattern Books", for example, helps you do a ton of things in the shop even if you're not working tin. Many is the time I've used these layout techniques to design and cut out thicker steel that I wanted to forge to shape and weld up into a larger piece. It's real easy to draw something out on a piece of paper, but drawing a working pattern that'll get you from a flat sheet to a curved sheet that'll fit like you want it to fit.... well, a Pattern Book sure comes in handy!

https://archive.org/details/tinsmith...ge/20/mode/2up

Name:  Tinsmith-Helper-and-Pattern-Book-47.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  48.0 KB

4. Likes jw3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never said it was the only book. That Archive site has hundreds of books, some very relevant, but out of print.

I prefer the older books, pre-1970, because of their writing style and that special patina that only old books can have.

6. Likes ronsii, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    It is like the Machinist Hand Book after 1960's it less information. The last one I look just so must useless information.

Dave

Never said it was the only book. That Archive site has hundreds of books, some very relevant, but out of print.

I prefer the older books, pre-1970, because of their writing style and that special patina that only old books can have.

8. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I agree
    It is like the Machinist Hand Book after 1960's it less information. The last one I look just so must useless information.

Dave
    Are you talking about Machinery's, or another book?

Machinery's is the equivalent of the welders Bible from Lincoln. I use the Machinery's almost on a weekly basis.

10. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[Yes it is the machinist bible I have both books

Dave

QUOTE=farmersammm;8792575]Are you talking about Machinery's, or another book?

Machinery's is the equivalent of the welders Bible from Lincoln. I use the Machinery's almost on a weekly basis.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Smithdoor..........................

I definitely agree that Machinery's has some antiquated info. But..................is it still valid?

I had to tap some bronze about 2 yrs ago. Machinery's recommended an animal fat tap lube. I got some bacon fat/drippings, and had at it That tap ran like butter!!!!!!!!!! And the tap tasted like HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kidding aside..............the bacon fat ran nice........better than the tapping fluid I use.

13. Likes Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, I have been on the lookout for some pattern books for sheet metal, they seem to be few and expensive.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

15. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been wandering on that site a bit, there's some great old TV shows. I like watching those old shows from the 50's and 60's where they had live music performances. What a great site!
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

17. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Been wandering on that site a bit.....
    Yea, it's definitely one of those websites that'll suck the time right out of your day!

I just bought a copy of The Tinsmith's Helper Pattern Book off ebay for a pittance... and from a Goodwill shop so all the money goes to charity. I wouldn't necessarily have done that if I couldn't have seen inside the cover on the Archive site first.

I wonder if roof flashing is too thin to use. I'd had to practice on something like that just to have it be so flimsy that I end up with something that just can't be used beyond setting on a shelf to look pretty for fear it'll get dent or bent.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vaughn T, what type of layouts are you looking for ? I have round, rectangular, triangulation, parallel line pattern development. Anything tat can be fabricated from flat sheet. Also 45 + years of experience.

21. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hommeacier View Post
    Hey Vaughn T, what type of layouts are you looking for ? I have round, rectangular, triangulation, parallel line pattern development. Anything tat can be fabricated from flat sheet. Also 45 + years of experience.
    Can't say that I have anything particular in mind. After smithing for all these years, the idea of doing something "easier" does sound appealing and it'd be nice to not have to swing a heavy hammer for hours at a time.

I've always been intrigued by sheetmetal work, especially the tin stuff from the Colonial days. Not having to light the forge and deal with scorching-hot steel and setting my beard on fire would be a bonus.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, I'm always up for learning and seeing what I can do and how I can incorporate what I know from blacksmithing - even if that's just making some stakes and chisels.

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say that I have anything particular in mind. After smithing for all these years, the idea of doing something "easier" does sound appealing and it'd be nice to not have to swing a heavy hammer for hours at a time.

I've always been intrigued by sheetmetal work, especially the tin stuff from the Colonial days. Not having to light the forge and deal with scorching-hot steel and setting my beard on fire would be a bonus.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, I'm always up for learning and seeing what I can do and how I can incorporate what I know from blacksmithing - even if that's just making some stakes and chisels.
    thanks for the advice
    Last edited by JustinJames; 06-03-2022 at 07:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This was my dads, (I'm 66 now,) copyright 1942, 1952. The pages are just slightly heavier than tissue paper, there's a price written in the top corner inside, $1.50.
    I remember him laying out a Kort nozzle when I was in trade school, all by hand, no computers. Made the paper templates for cutting and the plywood templates for bending the plate which I think was 3/8" if not more. Here's a pic of a nozzle for those of you who have never seen one. Visualize a hollow elongated donut that fits around the prop with very little clearance. It was filled with oil why, I have no idea.
    Name:  Nozzle.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  image0000001.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  194.0 KB
    Name:  image0000011.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  211.8 KB

26. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the mid1990’s I was a chemist in Knoxville,Tn. The lab set next to UT Knoxville hospital. On one of my extended breaks I noticed a roll-off dumpster with galvanized sheet metal inside- I was taking welding classes at the time, so I noticed free metal. I walked into the building to inquire about it. The building was a sheet metal shop exclusively for the hospital that bent nothing but duct work. It was impressive all the drop was similar size and accounted. I made several visits to acquire free metal. I remember walking in seeing a guy laying out a cone similar to mrmilkeys photo. It looked like the guy literally scribed the page onto a huge sheet of metal. “Forget this,I want to do that “

28. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the mid1990’s I was a chemist in Knoxville,Tn. The lab set next to UT Knoxville hospital. On one of my extended breaks I noticed a roll-off dumpster with galvanized sheet metal inside- I was taking welding classes at the time, so I noticed free metal. I walked into the building to inquire about it. The building was a sheet metal shop exclusively for the hospital that bent nothing but duct work. It was impressive all the drop was similar size and accounted. I made several visits to acquire free metal. I remember walking in seeing a guy laying out a cone similar to mrmilkeys photo. It looked like the guy literally scribed the page onto a huge sheet of metal. “Forget this,I want to do that “

Post Thanks / Like

The book would be good. I can barely count to 100 and hate all that shate. My expertise is torch and hammer or pry bar for when the exact fit needs adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

My expertise is torch and hammer or pry bar for when the exact fit needs adjustment
    LOL, I hear 'ya. if it doesn't fit, you need a bigger hammer..............Mike

Post Thanks / Like

This is true to some extent. Engineers are smarter and can come up with stuff make me look like I am still eating dirt. But when it comes to push, pry, hit shove drag, gitter inner, datle work, der we go, you got it we are really good.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine used to say, "Engineers....they can give you the square root of a pickle but can't tell you how to get it out of a jar"..........M

34. Likes Meltedmetal, VaughnT, Bobbyc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    This was my dads, (I'm 66 now,) copyright 1942, 1952. The pages are just slightly heavier than tissue paper, there's a price written in the top corner inside, $1.50.
    I remember him laying out a Kort nozzle when I was in trade school, all by hand, no computers. Made the paper templates for cutting and the plywood templates for bending the plate which I think was 3/8" if not more. Here's a pic of a nozzle for those of you who have never seen one. Visualize a hollow elongated donut that fits around the prop with very little clearance. It was filled with oil why, I have no idea. This book remains relevant today. When I needed chemistry help, I decided to research online sources. I was interested in one study. I turned to this sitehttps://essays.edubirdie.com/chemistry-help and was surprisedthat modern research mentions this book. Therefore, I advise you to read it if someone finds a copy. It is worth it.

Name:  Nozzle.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  image0000001.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  194.0 KB
    Name:  image0000011.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  211.8 KB
    Cool! Thank you for sharing this book. I hope that one day I can get my hands on a copy and read it. Your book interested me
    Last edited by GarySharpe; 06-27-2023 at 12:09 PM.

36. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, this is cool. My grandfather was a pattern maker for steel plates used in making the hulls of ships back in the early 1900's
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

38. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist