+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glow plug wiring harness

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glow plug wiring harness

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    i probably stated the glow plug purpose wrong. after the glow plugs cycle and the electric is shut off after starting, the glow plugs stay glowing from the burn of the diesel in the combustion chamber. kinda like sticking a piece of steel in a fire and letting it get hot until it glows red. then repeatedly and rapidly pulling the steel in and out of the fire, it doesn't have time to cool down and will stay glowing red. thats how glow plugs stay lit or red all the time and aid in the running of the diesel.

im not sure but because of the pollution diesels put out, they dropped the compression because of the NO2. let me know if or how im wrong.
    I knew what you were saying about the plugs assisting ignition from residual combustion heat, They may have some effect, but I doubt it's much. I do know from experience it's not good for them to stay energized by a bad relay when the engine is under load... Poof is the term.

Lowered compression ratios on some engines were designed to lower NOX levels. Cat did some strange stuff with the C15 ACERT engines to lower NOX levels that ended up putting them out of the on highway market. Firstly they bumped the compression up to 18:1 which is a lot for the big ones. Then they used the hydraulic variable valve actuator to control part of the intake valve opening to LOWER cylinder pressures at certain times... add in an ineffective EGR system and a lousy aftertreatment burner and DPF. Pretty much junk.
    They can be made to run right, but you better be putting them in an older truck that doesn't require those emissions controls.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    One of the quick checks on the big Cat engines was to watch the ammeter when you turned the start/heat switch to "heat", the draw usually told you how many good plugs you had. The D348 V12's would draw 60 amps. If they didn't you were pulling valve covers and checking individual plugs with the VOM.
    Yep, it's kinda similar on my cat D4... just watch how far down the amp gauge goes and you know if they're glowing or not

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i put the new controller on the other day and the new glow plugs in, it still dont work, so I got to figure out what is wrong there. But that is kinda sorta on the back burner for now since she lights up as long as she is plugged in, the reason its on the back burner is my alternator on the welder took a crap, and its up in Frackville gettin rebuilt right now, couldnt find one Deutz parts are hard to find and very expensive, so Im playing with my grandaughter today.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yep, it's kinda similar on my cat D4... just watch how far down the amp gauge goes and you know if they're glowing or not
    On a Ford all you need to do is leave the door open and you will notice the dome light get brighter. Course you could also put a LED in the A pillar and wire it to the GPR like I did.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

probably gonna take 2 people and a 12 volt test light to test the wiring to make sure you get the power to the relay. I do believe that the relay is much like a starter wiring...one wire is hot all the time and has a signal wire. You could "jump" around the relay with a push button on the dash and direct to the glow plug wires. IF necessary I could get a phone contact for deutz parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    On a Ford all you need to do is leave the door open and you will notice the dome light get brighter. Course you could also put a LED in the A pillar and wire it to the GPR like I did.
    LOL, funny you say that my dome light has never worked since I got the truck... you'd think I'd fix it one of these days... but I did wire a small gauge phone wire to the output of the GP relay that goes to the back of the dash in one of the unused spots so I can see when the relay is on.. and if it has failed the GP relays on my 97' powersmoke seem to last about 1-1.5 years... so I bought 6 of them last time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    probably gonna take 2 people and a 12 volt test light to test the wiring to make sure you get the power to the relay. I do believe that the relay is much like a starter wiring...one wire is hot all the time and has a signal wire. You could "jump" around the relay with a push button on the dash and direct to the glow plug wires. IF necessary I could get a phone contact for deutz parts.
    Thats what Im thinkin about doin...bypassing the controller altogether for the truck.

The electrical stuff for the welder motor and most any other automotive or industrial motor I go through these guys In Frackville about 20 minutes from the house and local to most of the places I work. They rebuilt the alternator I dropped off yesterday and I put it in this afternoon, the starter was burned up as well and I ran up after talkin to the man he said he would wait for me, I went up and he had a starter for me all ready to go. I been dealin with these guys for years, I used to take stuff up to them when I worked in the strippins pullin wrenches and weldin before i built my first rig, and got stuff for that rig from them, they are very good people. So tomorow morning I will put the starter on and with Gods grace I should be lightin up my life again. This is an expensive week.

Next project on the welder is to replace the front seal and the gaskets up front, has a bit of a leak that may have caused some of the trouble with the alternator, only have to add maybe a quart evry 3 or 4 weeks but that little bit of oil that leaks sure does make a helluva mess.

So if you could get me that phone number for the gasket and seal kit it would be appreciated....Thank you
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 01-15-2021 at 08:36 PM.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    the GP relays on my 97' powersmoke seem to last about 1-1.5 years... so I bought 6 of them last time
    In 25 years I think I replaced three of them.
    Genuine Ford parts.

The last one I put in was a generic and that was about six or seven years ago

so far so good
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I’m thinking about it
    Maybe the reason why these glow plug relays go bad so often it’s because they stay on so damn long.

This last generic relay that I put in at the same time I put in the power off toggle switch

Coincidence?

I don’t know but those relays get hot

Put your hand on it after it’s been activated for a minute or 3
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

The OEM relay is weak, there's a White/Rogers (Stancor) relay that fits in there, it's nearly twice the size of the OEM and a tight fit. I put one in in 2009 and it's still working, in fact I have never heard of the Stancor failing.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice!
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what Im thinkin about doin...bypassing the controller altogether for the truck.

The electrical stuff for the welder motor and most any other automotive or industrial motor I go through these guys In Frackville about 20 minutes from the house and local to most of the places I work. They rebuilt the alternator I dropped off yesterday and I put it in this afternoon, the starter was burned up as well and I ran up after talkin to the man he said he would wait for me, I went up and he had a starter for me all ready to go. I been dealin with these guys for years, I used to take stuff up to them when I worked in the strippins pullin wrenches and weldin before i built my first rig, and got stuff for that rig from them, they are very good people. So tomorow morning I will put the starter on and with Gods grace I should be lightin up my life again. This is an expensive week.

Next project on the welder is to replace the front seal and the gaskets up front, has a bit of a leak that may have caused some of the trouble with the alternator, only have to add maybe a quart evry 3 or 4 weeks but that little bit of oil that leaks sure does make a helluva mess.

So if you could get me that phone number for the gasket and seal kit it would be appreciated....Thank you

Just don't get rammy and long term hold on the jumper for the glow plugs...YOU ... become the relay/timer. Too long of a hold WILL cook the plugs. Give me a couple days and I'll get that number, hopefully they still exist after all this horse hockey happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't get rammy and long term hold on the jumper for the glow plugs...YOU ... become the relay/timer. Too long of a hold WILL cook the plugs. Give me a couple days and I'll get that number, hopefully they still exist after all this horse hockey happening.
    Ok Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

) popeye,,,frisbie farm equipment in upstate NY should get you deutz parts. try (607) 589 4492...ask for Russ.
    hey, IF you ever need to replace injection parts on your ford, get hold of me. Give ya good advice on pump replacement, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

) popeye,,,frisbie farm equipment in upstate NY should get you deutz parts. try (607) 589 4492...ask for Russ.
    hey, IF you ever need to replace injection parts on your ford, get hold of me. Give ya good advice on pump replacement, etc.

Where were ya in September? Thats when I put tmy injevtor pump and injectors in.

I was talkin to the folks that did my alternator, they told me about Stauffers Diesel In Ephrata PA about 1 hour and 20 minutes away from my place here, not drivin this weld rig of course, but my pickup. These guys do a lot of the electrical work for Stauffer and a few others, just the old boy and his son do the work. Dubosky in Frackville, they do work for folks from Pittsburg to Pihilly and New York and Jersey. Good people

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger on the stauffers. I thought there was another company down that way somewhere that used to use deutz for tractor pulling competition. I was spelling it wrong and couldn't come up with them. Sorry, but now you got 2 places to order parts. I'll get the dubosky name to my brother who uses deutz tractors on the farm. Not sure he knows of them. wehn ya did the pump, did you take it all out looking like a giant butterfly? or did disassemble everything and pull the pump and the drive train cover off in another piece??

Post Thanks / Like

Roger on the stauffers. I thought there was another company down that way somewhere that used to use deutz for tractor pulling competition. I was spelling it wrong and couldn't come up with them. Sorry, but now you got 2 places to order parts. I'll get the dubosky name to my brother who uses deutz tractors on the farm. Not sure he knows of them. wehn ya did the pump, did you take it all out looking like a giant butterfly? or did disassemble everything and pull the pump and the drive train cover off in another piece??
    Dubosky is in Frackville 570-874-1280, they are good people.

I just took the pump off and left the lines on and transferred them to the new one, it wasnt easy gettin at that one bolt on the left side. I bent a 9/16 wrench 6 or 7 times til I got it right. I hope I dont have to do that very often. I found out that welders turn into drunks when they pretend to be a mechanic.

Where at In NorthEast Pennsyltucky are you located?

26. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm equidistant north of scranton and wilkes barre. Place called mehoopany, where P&G have a paper plant. One day when weather co-operates, I'll take a jaunt down. I worked in the coal mines in Nanticoke and Pittston...kind of miss the heavy hauling and equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm equidistant north of scranton and wilkes barre. Place called mehoopany, where P&G have a paper plant. One day when weather co-operates, I'll take a jaunt down. I worked in the coal mines in Nanticoke and Pittston...kind of miss the heavy hauling and equipment.
    Back in 1990s i went up to Tunhanock and bought a Big 40 from an ol boy, I dont remember his name anymore, lookin on a map that aint too far from where you live. Anyone is welcome here just about anytime, just holler so I know to be home.

Intresting thing happened...last Thursday my glow plugs decided to start workin again on their own. Must be a loose connection somewhere in that wiring harness, I had to put this one together last spring, and it wasnt much fun...not quite as bad as the harness I did on my old rig, but still not fun. I hate the thought of diggin into that mess again

29. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About 15 years ago I had to drive across Northern Wisconsin to a mine in Northern Minnesota for a job. It was a 4 hr drive and it was -25 degrees. My old 97 Cummins never got above 120 degrees and the grid heaters kicked in about every 2-3 minutes all the way there for 4 hrs. That is the only time I ever remember them kicking on after the engine was started and I have owned that truck for 21 years. The 5.9 Cummins has grid heaters instead of glow plugs.

31. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

a piece of cardboard or a cool looking weather front will help the engine operate efficently. You have to keep a little hole in the center open...about 1/3 to 1/4 the total grille opening. Take a look at the road tractors in the winter time, they got weather fronts on them for a reason.

33. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For relays there are continuous rated and intermediate rated ones. Most glow plugs are single wire where you run a hot wire to them and they ground through the case. A continuous duty relay a push button switch and some 10-12 gauge wire and you’re good to go
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

a piece of cardboard or a cool looking weather front will help the engine operate efficently. You have to keep a little hole in the center open...about 1/3 to 1/4 the total grille opening. Take a look at the road tractors in the winter time, they got weather fronts on them for a reason.
    On a pickup or medium duty truck with a viscous (fluid drive) fan it's especially important to keep that center opening so you don't overheat the fan clutch.

36. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    About 15 years ago I had to drive across Northern Wisconsin to a mine in Northern Minnesota for a job. It was a 4 hr drive and it was -25 degrees. My old 97 Cummins never got above 120 degrees and the grid heaters kicked in about every 2-3 minutes all the way there for 4 hrs. That is the only time I ever remember them kicking on after the engine was started and I have owned that truck for 21 years. The 5.9 Cummins has grid heaters instead of glow plugs.
    Thats intresting I never knew that or evenn heard of it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist