+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3M 1.5HP Air Grinder - The Rolls Royce of air grinders

Post Thanks / Like

3M 1.5HP Air Grinder - The Rolls Royce of air grinders

I just got this baby today. Holeee Schikes! It is a bad piece of equipment! It's the biggest air-hog I own. It's pretty much a "dead short" to the compressor, aka it's like just opening a 1/2" air hose wide-open, no restriction. It brought my 10HP Polar Air 35 CFM air compressor to it's knees fast!

Highly recommended!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

2. Likes ronsii, William McCormick, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M 1.5HP Air Grinder - The Rolls Royce of air grinders

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I just got this baby today. Holeee Schikes! It is a bad piece of equipment! It's the biggest air-hog I own. It's pretty much a "dead short" to the compressor, aka it's like just opening a 1/2" air hose wide-open, no restriction. It brought my 10HP Polar Air 35 CFM air compressor to it's knees fast!

Highly recommended!
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always like to have at least one tool in a group that has *really* good power I'll have to look into that one

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! That is a piece of artwork!!! First, on something like that I would have a whip so the connection isnt rigid for such length. I have those same Milton connectors on my 1/2" air hoses too. Next, I have a cheapo air grinder I used to run off my tow behind diesel compressor, for smoothing out concrete when needed. I could spray water without worry. But I wouldn't think to use one for metal fab, over electric. Why did you get this one?

Also, if you don't mind, where did you purchase and how much?
    Last edited by Stick-man; 01-17-2021 at 12:22 AM.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    WOW! That is a piece of artwork!!! First, on something like that I would have a whip so the connection isnt rigid for such length. I have those same Milton connectors on my 1/2" air hoses too. Next, I have a cheapo air grinder I used to run off my tow behind diesel compressor, for smoothing out concrete when needed. I could spray water without worry. But I wouldn't think to use one for metal fab, over electric. Why did you get this one?
    Oh it's a bad motherclucker alright! I'm highly considering an alternative to the Milton connectors, but who knows. For now I just ordered the same Milton fitting with a 1/2" NPT thread so I don't have to use that ½" → ⅜" reducer that is on there at the moment. I am also considering getting a Flexzilla 1/2" whip x 6ft long that has a swivel on one end (for the grinder end). That way that Milton coupler junction can be resting on the floor, or whatever. Another thing I was thinking was perhaps those Dixon style air fittings that twist together and interlock, with the R-clip. I'd still need to use a whip I suppose, but they seem pretty compact; and I'd have to add a ball-valve somewhere close by, for locking/unlocking the fittings. For now I'm gonna run with what I have.

My friend used to work for 3M and would rave about these grinders, so I just bought it for the hell of it to see if he was full of chit; which he usually is, but not about these.

6. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you look at the CP grinders? like the 3650 or 3850.... they got a bit more rated power than the 28824 3M but then again they would probably suck the life right outta your polar at 69CFM

8. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Did you look at the CP grinders? like the 3650 or 3850.... they got a bit more rated power than the 28824 3M but then again they would probably suck the life right outta your polar at 69CFM
    The handle on mine is way better, so it's even.

10. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3M 1.5HP Air Grinder - The Rolls Royce of air grinders

Wow. That's a beauty.

Stickman beat me to the "whip hose".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how it would compare to the lesser brands if you had to throttle it back for a 3HP compressor? Do you think it would still have the advantage, or would that just decrease the performance to the other brands? I had a Blue Point for years that I liked, but when I had to get it rebuilt by SnapOn it basically came back as a gutless air hog. Wish I'd put the money into a new one now. I think they charged me $350 for the rebuild. I need to take it apart some day and see what's going on. Either there is excess wear on the housing, or maybe it's something simple like stuck impellers that are too tight.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not nearly as pretty as Oscar's but here's my old Nitto Kohki. Probably only around 1.1 HP.

:

16. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find his on Amazon.Ca.... closest I found was a 1 HP extended body version for $470 Cdn.

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Grinder-Ext...tionAndDetails
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I couldn't find his on Amazon.Ca.... closest I found was a 1 HP extended body version for $470 Cdn.

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Grinder-Ext...tionAndDetails
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-4-1-2-He...IAAOSw-ktf3n-V

Says they ship to CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they do .... and that puts me just shy of $700 Cdn.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

:

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i like air tools but never really understood why the fanfare. noisy,needs compressor so even more noise,air hose gets in the way,not efficient and they stall more brutally than electrics.

understand out in the field where no electricity is available but in a shop? idk!

Post Thanks / Like

Well then consider yourself lucky that these guys don't ship to CA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Grinder-...eE8~T#shpCntId

25. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    i like air tools but never really understood why the fanfare. noisy,needs compressor so even more noise,air hose gets in the way,not efficient and they stall more brutally than electrics.

understand out in the field where no electricity is available but in a shop? idk!

They're great if you have big air.... you can't burn them up by stalling or overusing the motor you can use then while water is draining all over you from a tank you're working on without worrying about getting fried you can drive on the air hoses without worrying about shorting them or arcing then to something you can use then under a cat with dirt flying all over the place without dirtying up the motor and ruining it air has lots of plusses.... has some downsides too.... IF you're not set up for it

27. Likes Lis2323, Capt B, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    They're great if you have big air.... you can't burn them up by stalling or overusing the motor you can use then while water is draining all over you from a tank you're working on without worrying about getting fried you can drive on the air hoses without worrying about shorting them or arcing then to something you can use then under a cat with dirt flying all over the place without dirtying up the motor and ruining it air has lots of plusses.... has some downsides too.... IF you're not set up for it
    I was gonna reply but you beat me to it. (plus you had a half dozen points I hadn’t thought of ). LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

29. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I was gonna reply but you beat me to it. (plus you had a half dozen points I hadn’t thought of ). LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh Shoot!! I didn't mean to stop you from posting

And.. they're also handy for keeping your hands cool when it's hot out and the rest of you if it's got a rear exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how it would compare to the lesser brands if you had to throttle it back for a 3HP compressor? Do you think it would still have the advantage, or would that just decrease the performance to the other brands? I had a Blue Point for years that I liked, but when I had to get it rebuilt by SnapOn it basically came back as a gutless air hog. Wish I'd put the money into a new one now. I think they charged me $350 for the rebuild. I need to take it apart some day and see what's going on. Either there is excess wear on the housing, or maybe it's something simple like stuck impellers that are too tight.
    It's all about the airflow. It would bring a 3HP compressor to it's knees pretty much instantly, unless said 3HP compressor is hooked up to a VERY large tank AND has time to adequately recover. Imagine hooking up a 1/2" or 3/4" air hose to said 3HP compressor and then using a ball-valve to open it out into the atmosphere with no restriction. How long until the pressure falls below say 80psi? I bet it would be pretty darn fast! that's what this grinder does, essentially. So technically the performance of the 3M would not decrease, for the few seconds it would have adequate air supply. It's like getting into the ring with Mike Tyson (in his prime). Sure you could last 30 seconds in the ring with Iron Mike if you run around, but when he does catch you.....you goin' down sucka!

32. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably not where I'd go anyway... for the money your Optrel hood was a lot more tempting. I have the 9" corded DeWalt for big jobs and I don't use it much. You did shame me into checking out my Blue Point though. Sadly it doesn't look like there's going to be an easy solution. The vanes all seem to be free and working as intended, and any attempts to re-align the ports didn't seem to make any difference. It really should have went straight back to SnapOn when I had it rebuilt, but I'm about 6 yrs late for that now. I did check out the big CP grinder in my GS-2 catalogue and it's coming in at $600 Cdn. so not a lot cheaper.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

34. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post

My Blue Point is a light duty compared to Oscar's, but when I was working around autobody it was a lot more forgiving when things went south. Back then everyone was using those heavy old electrics and I saw more then one open faced disc get stuck into a cinderblock wall. My 9" DeWalt isn't much lighter to work with either, comparing technologies over 40 yrs. My DeWalt is also rated for 6,000 rpm, only half of Oscar's 12,000.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 01-17-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

36. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It's all about the airflow. It would bring a 3HP compressor to it's knees pretty much instantly, unless said 3HP compressor is hooked up to a VERY large tank AND has time to adequately recover. Imagine hooking up a 1/2" or 3/4" air hose to said 3HP compressor and then using a ball-valve to open it out into the atmosphere with no restriction. How long until the pressure falls below say 80psi? I bet it would be pretty darn fast! that's what this grinder does, essentially. So technically the performance of the 3M would not decrease, for the few seconds it would have adequate air supply. It's like getting into the ring with Mike Tyson (in his prime). Sure you could last 30 seconds in the ring with Iron Mike if you run around, but when he does catch you.....you goin' down sucka!
    I'd still be curious to see how it would perform if you restricted the air flow to the point that the compressor could keep up. I suspect you might still have a superior grinder than the one built to run at those CFM's. but nowhere near the HP you have now. I was looking at my discs and they are only rated for 8500 so my discs wouldn't even work at your 12,000 rpm. Think I saw somewhere where they recommended a specific 3-M disc.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

38. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have rear exhaust...........HOW COME IT DOESN'T KEEP ME COOL???????????????????????????????

40. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I have rear exhaust...........HOW COME IT DOESN'T KEEP ME COOL???????????????????????????????
    I think we all know what.... oh nevermind you almost suckered me into that one

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still be curious to see how it would perform if you restricted the air flow to the point that the compressor could keep up. I suspect you might still have a superior grinder than the one built to run at those CFM's. but nowhere near the HP you have now. I was looking at my discs and they are only rated for 8500 so my discs wouldn't even work at your 12,000 rpm. Think I saw somewhere where they recommended a specific 3-M disc.
    Technically it should still work, but I suspect that if throttled-down it won't spin at 12,000 RPMs, which is what 4.5" discs/wheels should be ran at. So it might even be less effective than a less powerful grinder that is running 11,000-12,000 RPMs. And yes 3M's Cubitron II's excel in any grinder. You should try them. They're out of this world.

So you have 4.5" discs rated at only 8,500 RPMs??

43. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist