Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Flap Disks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk Flap Disks

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I went over this whole thing with a flap wheel a thirty-six grit from these guys.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/flap...and-polishing/

I had a lot of weld-spatter inside that thing, the #29 style 36 grit 4 1/2" Zironcium flap discs not only tore it off, but one disc did all the grinding, and then I went over everything and the flap is still good. Worn but still cutting like new. The metal feels as soft as butter now.

Attachment 1723265

Sincerely,

William McCormick

If you ever have to take off the spring-loaded mud flaps just make sure to bend them down and then put something that will not fall out behind the mounting flange that attaches to the spring, or else the spring shoots into the stainless steel tube that houses the spring and it takes off like bullet after you take off the last nut inside the frame. You need serious power heavy equipment to re-tension the spring and a lot of ingenuity to get it done.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

2. Likes ronsii, 12V71, Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I think THAT would be one of my first suggestions. I wish I had caught on earlier!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hit my discs with beeswax when I put one on and every now and then while using it and they just keep cutting.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

4. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I have been buying T-29 style flap discs from the same company for years. 60 grit high density is what I prefer to use on the projects I do. I use medium pressure for wasting metal, and light circular swirls to give a nice even finish look.
    I sometimes heat the metal on purpose when I want to grind and blend, the beeswax works best when the part gets some heat in it. That is how I polish metal as well, it makes sandpaper last ten times as long. If you rub a little beeswax on a hot spot you just welded it instantly cools it down as well, it equalizes all things. It is so amazing for drilling and hole sawing, it works best when the bit gets warm.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

6. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hit my discs with beeswax when I put one on and every now and then while using it and they just keep cutting.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I would think beeswax would make a mess or leave a coating .... to give you a pain in the azz later... especially if you wanted to paint the item.

what is used to quickly strip beeswax??
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I would think beeswax would make a mess or leave a coating .... to give you a pain in the azz later... especially if you wanted to paint the item.

what is used to quickly strip beeswax??
    Any solvent does it. It also contains the airborne particles of dust created.

If you have a weld that is suffering from porosity just rub some on the area to weld, it cleanses the metal.

You can also clean it with a steam cleaner for sure. But we have never had a problem getting it off because almost none sticks.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very fortunate to have a friend who has SEEN my welds and helps me out in the flap and hard wheel abrasive department..

Until he buys either a strip bar or distillery, this will have to do. LOL

:

Post Thanks / Like

His father was Jack Meoff.

We used to send one of the guys we would take on our company skiing trip to the reception desk at the ski lodge and have him page "Mr. Meoff, Jack" to the main lounge. The whole place would roll and the girl would turn red at the desk. Most did not get it the first time but by the second time, everyone was listening to see if they heard it correctly. To hear her say Jack me off to the main lounge was too funny.

Once in the sixth grade, there was an older woman a handwriting expert who asked us to write our name on a piece of paper, it was a rain day auditorium event. I signed Dick Hertz. She analyzed it and started saying "Who's Dick Hertz?" again and again, only interrupted by "what is so funny" finally a person from the school suggested it was a joke, haha, she turned red and reprimanded everyone.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    OMG thatís some funny $hit right there.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

11. Likes BD1, ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    OMG thatís some funny $hit right there.
    Tony, you probably seen this before. They have a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Oldendum, N2 Welding, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Tony, you probably seen this before. They have a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sub reminded me of this $hit from way back in the day LOL... Now regarding ever seeing that. NOPE! Definitely not my cup of tee.

Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-25-2021 at 02:01 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's the ignorant Red Neck videosName:  unsure.gif
Views: 249
Size:  897 Bytes?????????????

I'm sure there's a few out there. God Knows, they're about 85% of the population.

17. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Where's the ignorant Red Neck videosName:  unsure.gif
Views: 249
Size:  897 Bytes?????????????

I'm sure there's a few out there. God Knows, they're about 85% of the population.
    ok here ya go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0SuN4bn1w
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-25-2021 at 09:30 PM.

19. Likes ronsii, William McCormick, akpolaris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the beeswax I use, it comes in a pellet form. I melt it down in an aluminum chafing dish in the oven at 325 degrees. It has almost no smell at all. Just support the chafing dish it gets flimsy. When I see that most of the pellets have melted about 10 minutes I shut off the oven and let it stay in there, the rest melt in about 20 minutes.

If you break it apart instead of cutting it, just be careful it can actually cut your skin, with sharp broken edges just like glass, despite the fact it is a rather soft wax, weirdest thing.

Name:  beeswax.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  173.6 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

21. Likes ronsii, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got done watching a vid from Ron Covell and he mentions using bars of soap to lubricate the aluminum when he's sanding it. Weirdest thing I ever heard of, but if there's anyone who knows about getting a nice finish on metal.... it'd be him!

Started using one of those diamond-edge all-steel cutting disks and love how they perform. The only downside is that you need to have another grinder with a flap disk mounted so you can knock off the very large burr they leave behind. Razor edge and just aching to find some flesh to sink into!

Anyone pulled the trigger on one of those fancy all-steel versions with the diamonds on the face as well as the edge? I can see them being decent for carving in bevels when you're welding, but not much else. If they last a good while, they might be worth it... but I have a hard time imagining they'd last long enough to justify the cost.

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Just got done watching a vid from Ron Covell and he mentions using bars of soap to lubricate the aluminum when he's sanding it. Weirdest thing I ever heard of, but if there's anyone who knows about getting a nice finish on metal.... it'd be him!

Started using one of those diamond-edge all-steel cutting disks and love how they perform. The only downside is that you need to have another grinder with a flap disk mounted so you can knock off the very large burr they leave behind. Razor edge and just aching to find some flesh to sink into!

Anyone pulled the trigger on one of those fancy all-steel versions with the diamonds on the face as well as the edge? I can see them being decent for carving in bevels when you're welding, but not much else. If they last a good while, they might be worth it... but I have a hard time imagining they'd last long enough to justify the cost.

They have sold similar wheels in the larger 14 and 16 inch sizes for pipe work at the supply houses we use... never bought one because of the price... but they are supposed to work great for beveling DI pipe... don't know if they do or not??? however as I have not even seen one on a job site yet... and they been on the market for at least 10 years I suppose they have to work or they wouldn't offer em' for sale but I have my doubts on just how good for how long they actually work 'good' after going through a dozen of the smaller 5 inch ones last year....

25. Likes VaughnT, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue 60 grit. I like flat if I'm blending outside corner / tees. Conical for the everything else. Where I see a lot of folks waste a good disc is using it as a grinding wheel. I keep a griding disc on one and flap on the other grinder and wire brush on another. Grind it down pretty close with the wheel, then grab the flap and finish it. Use the wire wheel to get the smoke and dingleberries off.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

27. Likes N2 Welding, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post

Soap has been used for years on screws that break or strip the heads when going into wood. A couple of times when helping friends and family I have used soap and it is rather amazing to them that it works so well. Not as good as beeswax and today probably more expensive than beeswax.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Blue 60 grit. I like flat if I'm blending outside corner / tees. Conical for the everything else. Where I see a lot of folks waste a good disc is using it as a grinding wheel. I keep a griding disc on one and flap on the other grinder and wire brush on another. Grind it down pretty close with the wheel, then grab the flap and finish it. Use the wire wheel to get the smoke and dingleberries off.
    I use 24 grit 4 1/2" zirconium sanding discs to grind down welds it is much faster than grinding wheels if you use beeswax and I do. Then I use the flaps sanders. The smoke from grinding with carborundum is a problem where I am.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

31. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 24 grit 4 1/2" zirconium sanding discs to grind down welds it is much faster than grinding wheels if you use beeswax and I do. Then I use the flaps sanders. The smoke from grinding with carborundum is a problem where I am.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Thank you! I will need to try that tip now that youíve pounded it into my brain.

You will need to change your signature line to:

Sincerely,

W. Beeswax McCormick

:

33. Likes ronsii, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went over this whole thing with a flap wheel a thirty-six grit from these guys.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/flap...and-polishing/

I had a lot of weld-spatter inside that thing, the #29 style 36 grit 4 1/2" Zironcium flap discs not only tore it off, but one disc did all the grinding, and then I went over everything and the flap is still good. Worn but still cutting like new. The metal feels as soft as butter now.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Is this the one you are referring to in a 36 grit?

https://www.empireabrasives.com/4-1-...flap-disc-t29/
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

35. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    We used to use those on the 7/9" grinders for automotive sheet metal to prep for Bondo all the time. They work good but you don't want to catch a sharp edge. I've seen a couple stuck in cinder block walls.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

37. Likes Broccoli1, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Is this the one you are referring to in a 36 grit?

https://www.empireabrasives.com/4-1-...flap-disc-t29/
    No actually upon checking I am using these.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/4.5-...rinder-wheels/

I had asked for a ten pack of the most aggressive thing they had and he gave me these. I assumed they were 36 grit because I had seen them before, however, I made a note to check after I posted because I could not find a ten pack of #36 grit on the Empire Abrasive site, the discs I am using are the 40 grit. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I do a lot of different things and I am on the phone with so many suppliers during a day that sometimes things slip past me, again sorry for the error.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

39. Likes whtbaron, ronsii, tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No actually upon checking I am using these.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/4.5-...rinder-wheels/

I had asked for a ten pack of the most aggressive thing they had and he gave me these. I assumed they were 36 grit because I had seen them before, however, I made a note to check after I posted because I could not find a ten pack of #36 grit on the Empire Abrasive site, the discs I am using are the 40 grit. I apologize for any misunderstanding. I do a lot of different things and I am on the phone with so many suppliers during a day that sometimes things slip past me, again sorry for the error.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    What a nice job the 40 grit flaps did on the surface of this thing.

Name:  Pintel black.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  230.6 KB

I actually go out and pick up the supplies from these guys. So sometimes it is word of mouth rather than through the website, that is why I go so I can ask them about things they have or might put into stock. They are just regular good old boys.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

41. Likes whtbaron, ronsii, tackit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a nice job the 40 grit flaps did on the surface of this thing.

Name:  Pintel black.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  230.6 KB

Out of curiosity, how is that plate attached? and what is the thickness?
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is that plate attached? and what is the thickness?
    I believe it's all 1/2 inch plate.... https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...le#post8793235

I thought he had a build thread on it... but I guess it's just sprinkled here and there some in the what you welded today.. some in moto's tank build, some in the flap disc thread. etc...

44. Likes William McCormick liked this post