+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Flap Disks

Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk Flap Disks

I just received an order from lehighvalleyabrasives.com. I ordered a few grinding disks, wire wheels, and 2 each of all of their brand, flap disks. All of my welding gear is in storage at my side job. I've been so busy with my day job, I don't have time for side work. So, I just bought a 6" Dewalt for cutting, a 4.5" Dewalt for grinding, wire and flap, and a Dewalt straight die grinder. I needed these for doing shtuff around the house. Like I said, all my grinders are locked up.

When I grab a flap disk, I don't think much about it. If I'm cutting dirty metal or bevelling, I grab a course one. If I'm sanding or smoothing, I grab a fine one.

I would like to know other's opinions on grit for various uses? If you prefer conical v. flat, advantages v. disavantages?

I don't particularly want to discuss brands, as that has a lot of previous discussion. And until they do me wrong, I will pretty much buy from Lehigh Valley.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

2. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk Flap Disks

I think 60 grit is the best trade-off for aggressiveness vs life. The coarser grits seem to have short life. I don't really buy any finer grit ones, I use a worn one to get a finer finish. The saucer shaped ones seem to perform better but are generally harder to find and more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the same stuff. I have found the 40 git works well as a coarse cut disk that leaves an acceptable finish. I only buy the conical, the flat wears too much and too quick on the outer edge. FWIW, I spend the extra buck for the nut on each one, well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use flap discs frequently and like the angled ones since it seems the angle is more natural. I try to buy the ones that allow you to trim the back side to use more of the disc. I also use both coarse and finer grits on my sculptures. The big thing for me is to remember not to use the flap disc on freshly welded or very hot metal since that seems to glaze or burn the disc.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

6. Likes BD1, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    The big thing for me is to remember not to use the flap disc on freshly welded or very hot metal since that seems to glaze or burn the disc.
    I think THAT would be one of my first suggestions. I wish I had caught on earlier!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lehigh I think they are 40 grit but I get the xl { I think } they are the thick one and they are flat but I grind a lot of rusty pipe heavy rust and they grind it off faster then grinding wheels the thick ones last pretty well even on heavy grinding

Post Thanks / Like

Been tempted to try those lehigh valley ceramic flap discs, but each time I use my 3M Cubitron 967A #56475 reminds me I don't need to be switching brands
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Price wise I think they are a good value i don’t do a lot of finish work so grinding pipe saddles and paint $ for $ I think they are a good deal

Post Thanks / Like

I have been buying Klingspor 60 grit by the box of ten since the late 80s.
    But I have a grinder with a hard whell on it, right next to the grinder with the flap.
    Hit it first with the hard wheel, take away the bulk of it, then use the flap wheel for the finishing and contouring.

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic a little.

You can get a free pack from Benchmark Abrasives. Use the discount/promo code freemix at checkout. Just pay shipping.

https://benchmarkabrasives.com/produ...d-grit-10-pack

I got a pack but have not even used them yet.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I just received an order from lehighvalleyabrasives.com. I ordered a few grinding disks, wire wheels, and 2 each of all of their brand, flap disks. All of my welding gear is in storage at my side job. I've been so busy with my day job, I don't have time for side work. So, I just bought a 6" Dewalt for cutting, a 4.5" Dewalt for grinding, wire and flap, and a Dewalt straight die grinder. I needed these for doing shtuff around the house. Like I said, all my grinders are locked up.

When I grab a flap disk, I don't think much about it. If I'm cutting dirty metal or bevelling, I grab a course one. If I'm sanding or smoothing, I grab a fine one.

I would like to know other's opinions on grit for various uses? If you prefer conical v. flat, advantages v. disavantages?

I don't particularly want to discuss brands, as that has a lot of previous discussion. And until they do me wrong, I will pretty much buy from Lehigh Valley.
    I do not use many flap discs if I do it is for blending on stainless pipe sometimes steel, and even then I find myself using a three-inch Roloc disc in the Milwaukee high-speed right angle die grinder usually. But I do buy them and I use them in my 4 1/2" Milwaukee right angle grinder, I get them from these guys, I get the zirconium discs. I tend to buy the angle ones which seem to make it easier to grind into tight places but either one is ok by me for what I do with it.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/flap...and-polishing/

I like their stuff. Their cutters especially the 4 1/2" 0.040 cutters are great, I have yet to shatter one while using it which is remarkable. I smashed one in the truck transporting it and I used it anyway after bending it back and it still didn't shatter, haha. I am not recommending you do that.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw these on another website this morning

Looks like they do a pretty good job for finish work.

Norton Bear-Tex Depressed Center Vortex Rapid Finish Unified Nonwoven Abrasive Wheel, Type 27, 4-1/2" Diameter, 5/8"-11 Arbor, Grit 5AM (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P3OYZS..._aZzcGbN3VK38Q
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I saw these on another website this morning

Looks like they do a pretty good job for finish work.

Norton Bear-Tex Depressed Center Vortex Rapid Finish Unified Nonwoven Abrasive Wheel, Type 27, 4-1/2" Diameter, 5/8"-11 Arbor, Grit 5AM (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P3OYZS..._aZzcGbN3VK38Q

Pack of 1. Amazon with shipping to Canada. I don't think so.... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Pack of 1. Amazon with shipping to Canada. I don't think so.... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh come on Lis... that's got to be some very special shipping for that price!!! I'm sure it's worth it.!!!!

Just got an order from benchmark the other day... had a little card in it... you really think there is a guy named Harry Pitts there?

Name:  harry-pitts1.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  48.8 KB

19. Likes whtbaron, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post

you really think there is a guy named Harry Pitts there? ]
    His cousin is Mike Hunt.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I had a 3rd shift supervisor at one gig whose name was Harry Beavers. I guess parents can be oblivious or cruel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

22. Likes William McCormick, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to school with a kid whose last name was Bater

The shop teacher used to call him Master Bater

Today that would probably not be PC
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplayer405 View Post
    Sure, I had a 3rd shift supervisor at one gig whose name was Harry Beavers. I guess parents can be oblivious or cruel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    His father was Jack Meoff.

We used to send one of the guys we would take on our company skiing trip to the reception desk at the ski lodge and have him page "Mr. Meoff, Jack" to the main lounge. The whole place would roll and the girl would turn red at the desk. Most did not get it the first time but by the second time, everyone was listening to see if they heard it correctly. To hear her say Jack me off to the main lounge was too funny.

Once in the sixth grade, there was an older woman a handwriting expert who asked us to write our name on a piece of paper, it was a rain day auditorium event. I signed Dick Hertz. She analyzed it and started saying "Who's Dick Hertz?" again and again, only interrupted by "what is so funny" finally a person from the school suggested it was a joke, haha, she turned red and reprimanded everyone.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

25. Likes ronsii, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And down the rabbit hole we go....one of my first loan managers was a very nice woman named Miss Pryck. A little stiff, but not hard to work with at all...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

27. Likes Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How would you like a dentist that goes by the name of Dr. Hurt ?

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could introduce you to Harry Dyck.... and his cousin Peter Dyck, which seemed very repetitive to me...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I could introduce you to Harry Dyck.... and his cousin Peter Dyck, which seemed very repetitive to me...
    Aren't they related to Ben Dover?
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw my buddy Jack at the airport the other day.... So I yelled to him:Hi Jack!!! and a bunch of cops slammed me to the ground

35. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I saw my buddy Jack at the airport the other day.... So I yelled to him:Hi Jack!!! and a bunch of cops slammed me to the ground
    You talkin’ ‘bout the cowboy? Did you help your buddy Jack off his horse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

37. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went over this whole thing with a flap wheel a thirty-six grit from these guys.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/flap...and-polishing/

I had a lot of weld-spatter inside that thing, the #29 style 36 grit 4 1/2" Zironcium flap discs not only tore it off, but one disc did all the grinding, and then I went over everything and the flap is still good. Worn but still cutting like new. The metal feels as soft as butter now.

Name:  PintleHookflapsanded.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  236.3 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick

39. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, Joegreen02 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist