+ Reply to Thread

Thread: long torch question

Post Thanks / Like

long torch question

Question, can you run a 2-4' long torch with 50' leads on the powermax 45xp? the reason I ask is I don't really need a bigger unit at the moment than the 45 xp. As of now I run the 30xp and that is plenty big. but it would be nice to have a long torch for some stairs I'm working on replacing.

Right now I just cut them with a grinder but was looking for a faster and safer way once I start getting up above the 2nd floor. I've got about 50 or so flights left to do this year. right now when I have to replace the stringers I cut them in half with a grinder, pull the bottom section down, and then cut the top where they mount to the landing. and pull the top section off. its kinda dangerous doing it that way so I was thinking it would be way safer to just use plasma while the stringers are hung from something as to not fall as soon as they get cut. the problem being, I think it would be way more dangerous doing it with a short torch like my 30xp. vs a long torch connected to the 45xp so I wouldn't have to lean half my body out over a gaping hole. I already fell through once from the 3rd floor. not trying to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: long torch question

here is a picture (hopefully) of what I'm talking about. this is the second flight I did for this guy. I've done about 40 so far at this place now. anyway the old concrete comes off then the old stringers have to either get major repairs or I just toss them and build new ones. when I toss them the old handrail stays in place. (not my decision) and then new ones get put up. thats the easy part. the hard part is taking off all the broken stuff with out falling through since mostly every thing here is so bad I can't even step on most of the concrete treads while holding another concrete tread without fear of falling through again. Alot of the brackets are broke the stairs are crumbling and the stringers have giant holes in them. Name:  GOPR1817.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  138.3 KBName:  GOPR1817.jpg
Size:  138.3 KBName:  GOPR1817.jpg
Size:  138.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Why not use a standard cutting torch?

Post Thanks / Like

I've already fallen through the stairs going up to the 3rd floor. the long torch would allow me to cut from the safety of the landing without having to outstretch over the hole. a normal torch I would have to grab onto the handrail (most of which is all crap and falling apart but the owner doesn't want to replace any of it until the city gets on him) and then stretch half my body out over the landing. If the handrail breaks or I have to catch a stringer I would be knocked off the landing.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  60.9 KB This is a picture of the stairs I fell through. Its been about 6 months since then so the remaining stairs are getting really really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Might want to think about a fall restraint harness when working in a stair well.
    My son picked up one that comes packed in a 5 gallon bucket with brackets and clips,
    just about everything you need. Found it at a local home center.
    Cost a lot less then a new system or just a torch. about $100.
    A lot less then a 600 to 800 torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Might want to think about a fall restraint harness when working in a stair well.
    My son picked up one that comes packed in a 5 gallon bucket with brackets and clips,
    Had a cousin (a carpenter) who was putting in stairs. He fell from the second floor to the concrete basement floor. Dead.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Just wondering why you can't just replace the concrete stair treads with steel ones where the stringers look to be in good shape?
    Because pictures and concrete hide the real problems. we are doing that with the good ones but all the brackets holding the concrete on pop off and reveal giant holes in most of these things. some of them I dont even need to unbolt. i just pick the concrete right up or step on them and knock the brackets off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    fall restraints may be good if you have someone to retrieve you. but after falling you have about 5-10 minutes to get pulled up before your passed out. around 15 your dead anyway. I work alone so id rather just take my chances with the ground. besides thats one more thing to trip on. plus add to that the fact that nothing in this place is sturdy enough to tie off to anyway.

I actually started wearing a military style bump helmet when working at heights. If I had been wearing one the day i fell I would have just went back to work the same day. it actually will protect you in a fall unlike hard hats. plus you can attach all sorts of fancy stuff to it if you need something like lights ear muffs or what not.
    Last edited by Scrapman Industries; 02-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

im also just trying to find a faster solution. right now everything is done with a 7" grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapman Industries View Post
    fall restraints may be good if you have someone to retrieve you. but after falling you have about 5-10 minutes to get pulled up before your passed out. around 15 your dead anyway. I work alone so id rather just take my chances with the ground. besides thats one more thing to trip on. plus add to that the fact that nothing in this place is sturdy enough to tie off to anyway.

I actually started wearing a military style bump helmet when working at heights. If I had been wearing one the day i fell I would have just went back to work the same day. it actually will protect you in a fall unlike hard hats. plus you can attach all sorts of fancy stuff to it if you need something like lights ear muffs or what not.
    I would suggest looking into rope access and self-rescue techniques. Being a tree guy hanging in ropes is a daily thing and may be of benefit to you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist