Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor surface under oxyfuel cutting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Floor surface under oxyfuel cutting

Not to hijack too far but I was thinking about sheetrock? I have about 2 foot from my torch table to the floor and after the sheetrock face burns a little bit it should be fire resistant? I need something I can pull out being my table is up against a wall and sheetrock seems like a cheap consumable item. My table is 6ft by 18ft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferrret3238 View Post
    Not to hijack too far but I was thinking about sheetrock? I have about 2 foot from my torch table to the floor and after the sheetrock face burns a little bit it should be fire resistant? I need something I can pull out being my table is up against a wall and sheetrock seems like a cheap consumable item. My table is 6ft by 18ft.
    The paper backing will catch fire. If you have the flame resistant type the green side shouldn't be too bad. You could scorch the paper off first, but then the sheetrock tends to fall apart. If any heavy chunks fall off of what you are cutting, it will shatter. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you have access to a free supply it might be alright used properly. I'm going to get roasted for this one, but I used to have sheets of actual asbestos lining my hog barn (one of the few things the pigs wouldn't eat). Despite it seeming like a much harder and more fire resistant product than sheet rock, it really didn't work out well under the cutting torch. The larger chunks of slag would still put enough heat into it to make it flake apart, and any heavy chunks would shatter it. Asbestos in a solid form isn't too bad, asbestos coming unglued is not what you want to see.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why make a cutting table that slides out from under your welding table. Could even make a water filled pan to catch the dross.
    That's been on my gonna do list for a long time

5. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I like that, but I would use sand instead of water. As Lis said, it also depends on how big it needs to be and your ability to store it after the job is done. Melted has a good suggestion too, but if storage is an issue, maybe make your tray out of plywood with sides (to be filled with sand) that can be broke down for storage when you are done. A light stand with a grate could be made to hold the project over the sand box.
    Sand most definitely on pavers as it's what you'd spread on them anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Many years ago I made a cutting table using a 15 gal steel drum. It works very good at containing sparks and slag for most small cutting I have had to do. There are 2 ways to do it. Even just putting a grate over the drum works ok but you do get some hot blow back air that you need to be cautious of. The second way eliminates the hot blow back. Cut the bottom 3rd of the drum off. Use some angle to raise the top 2/3rds up a couple inches. You need to bend the bottom lip of the upper 2/3rds in at a 30 degree angle all the way around so that sparks and slag are deflected tward the middle of the bottom piece of drum.

That is a cheap and quick setup to make. If you want bigger or better than that then make a square one any size you want . Make the bottom larger than the upper piece so it sits down inside the other with a 2 inch opening all the way round.

I have worn one 15 gal drum out and made a new one a few years ago. You can also put an inch or so of water in the bottom to stop the sparks from defecting but I use mine quite a bit and do not like messing with the water all the time.
    Steel drum is easiest to clean up, just spread sand around it to make it easy to protect against splatter and cleanup around. A little impact protection is good also.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I used to carry small pieces of cement type boards to place between walls and welding sparks. Easy to keep in place. Heavy as full sheet. Easy to find around construction sites.
    Hardibacker is a great option cement board also. Definitely great for protecting other surfaces by building walls to stop splatter and grinder dust from going everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    ..bare metal plates may lend themselves to having the slag bounce off it.
    True, but that contact will cool down the slag until it won't burn stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use 1/8 checker plate under my slats.... the plan is to cover it with a shallow layer of kitty litter to absorb the heat and prevent bounce/sticking.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I'm going to use 1/8 checker plate under my slats.... the plan is to cover it with a shallow layer of kitty litter to absorb the heat and prevent bounce/sticking.
    Hey. Here’s a money saving tip. Why not re-use that oil soaked kitty litter you’ve swept up off the shop floor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm still pinching pennies tighter than you. The oil is getting soaked up by wood shavings I had for transporting hogs back in my former life as a hog farmer. I suspect both might be a little too flammable for under the cutting torch....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Get a piece of sheet metal and put it under the tap in a slope. The spatter will fall down onto the sheet metal and roll down into a pan or something. You may be able to make something with two pieces of sheet metal sloping down towards the middle, sort of a funnel-like, with an opening that will channel the spatter down into a foil baking pan or whatever.

I had something like this many years ago. It was a sheet of metal with a lip raised up about 2 inches along the lower edge. The spatter would roll down to the lip and stop. Every now and then I'd just rake it out into a pan.
    -Ruark
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i