+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable 110 volt power supply for block warmer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portable 110 volt power supply for block warmer

Moto, you have a lot to learn about care and treatment of diesel engines.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

2. Likes ronsii, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Just do what we used to do with the old B model macks....

Throw a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can and dump some in some diesel fuel.

Strike a match and throw it underneath the oil pan.

- true story...
    Another true story: In Michigan 1973 or there about, -25 F. I used the same stunt under the oil pan of my 1957 IH pickup (gas engine) While lying there watching the fire burn I noticed what I thought was water vapor coming from the crank case breather pipe. When all of a sudden it went woosh. lol And the really neat thing was that it blew both sides of the cork pan gasket out and onto the ground, not really hurt other than the cut out from the bolts. I started and used the IH to pull start a Ford car and then shut it off before I ran out of oil. Basically I learned to be a bit more cautious when heating the oil pan.

4. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Mainly trying to get the engine warmed up so it will run better when I take off
    The heater Ronsii posted up is just an underhood air heater. Yeah its cheap but wont do much other than keep the intake piping and battery warm. Just give yourself an extra 5 minutes of warmup time. Portland does not get that kind of cold. I don't plug in my old Chevy 6.5 unless I know its going to get down around 10-15 degrees and even if I don't it still starts fine and clears the frost on the windows in less than 10 minutes.

6. Likes ronsii, MinnesotaDave, motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. View Post
    Another true story: In Michigan 1973 or there about, -25 F. I used the same stunt under the oil pan of my 1957 IH pickup (gas engine) While lying there watching the fire burn I noticed what I thought was water vapor coming from the crank case breather pipe. When all of a sudden it went woosh. lol And the really neat thing was that it blew both sides of the cork pan gasket out and onto the ground, not really hurt other than the cut out from the bolts. I started and used the IH to pull start a Ford car and then shut it off before I ran out of oil. Basically I learned to be a bit more cautious when heating the oil pan.
    Saw that once on an old Dodge with a slant 6, they had been pouring gas down the carb trying to start it. When it finally lit off it ignited the vapors in the crankcase and blew the valve cover off... and stroked the pan out so badly you couldn't get a socket on the pan bolts.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Takes 5 minutes idling and 6 minutes driving to reach the temp the block heater put into the motor. So 11 minutes and lots of diesel saved when having the truck plugged in for at least 3-4 hours, I actually leave it in longer. I love it!!! That’s a pic this morning and temps in the 30’s, that’s the temp before starting the engine, right after starting at work and 11 minutes after leaving work it got to about same temp as what the block heater puts in the engineName:  6E6A28B8-9F1B-41FB-B248-6AF491DEB976.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  95.1 KB Name:  081CF8E2-E6CF-40DE-978E-D9443150FC38.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  47.5 KBName:  CDFD4E99-1672-43E7-8FFA-CDD7BDE7041F.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  58.5 KB

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if there were different wattages on different years of the 7.3's but I found 2 hours was about optimal for warming mine up on a 25-30deree morning so I put a timer on it to start the block heater 2 hours before I'd go down to start it... even then it would take a good 5-10 minutes at high 'chip' idle to get the windows deiced sometimes If I ever have to go back to using it for daily commutes I am going to install one of those preheaters as you can plumb them into the oil and water systems... sure the one I linked to was only ...what... 5kw's on the btu calcs... but that's ~5Xmore than the block heater and you can plumb it to the cab for heat to which would solve the deice on the window problem ...I'd probably get a mid range one anyways... or I could just build a garage for it??? or maybe buy a new truck... the boss was looking at upgrading the '19 ram 3500 the other day.... seems you can get a nice 'newer' loaded one for around $82k...

12. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Takes 5 minutes idling and 6 minutes driving to reach the temp the block heater put into the motor. So 11 minutes and lots of diesel saved when having the truck plugged in for at least 3-4 hours, I actually leave it in longer.
    Five minutes idling and six minutes driving VS plugging in a 1000 W heater for more than 4 hours every day.
    Duhhhhhh

Compare your electric bill to the “Lots of Diesel saved”
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Five minutes idling and six minutes driving VS plugging in a 1000 W heater for more than 4 hours every day.
    Duhhhhhh

Compare your electric bill to the “Lots of Diesel saved”
    actually 4000 watts of electricity is pretty cheap. For me if its pluged in for 4 hrs between 9pm and 8am it would be $.25

16. Likes motolife313, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    actually 4000 watts of electricity is pretty cheap. For me if its pluged in for 4 hrs between 9pm and 8am it would be $.25
    Depends what state you’re living in and what the electric company is charging per kilowatt hour
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

John still mad

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

there, at one time as far as I know may still be around, a thing called a hot box. It operated on 12 volt and would connect to cooling system and heat the block using hot water. Didn't take long for it to heat a big cummins or cat powered road tractor. Just my 2 cents.

21. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Not sure if there were different wattages on different years of the 7.3's but I found 2 hours was about optimal for warming mine up on a 25-30deree morning so I put a timer on it to start the block heater 2 hours before I'd go down to start it... even then it would take a good 5-10 minutes at high 'chip' idle to get the windows deiced sometimes If I ever have to go back to using it for daily commutes I am going to install one of those preheaters as you can plumb them into the oil and water systems... sure the one I linked to was only ...what... 5kw's on the btu calcs... but that's ~5Xmore than the block heater and you can plumb it to the cab for heat to which would solve the deice on the window problem ...I'd probably get a mid range one anyways... or I could just build a garage for it??? or maybe buy a new truck... the boss was looking at upgrading the '19 ram 3500 the other day.... seems you can get a nice 'newer' loaded one for around $82k...
    I set the heater to defrost at the end of the day. In the morning the windshield is partly de-iced. Also, I sometimes plug the block heater in when the engine is running. I've only broke two extension cords that way in 15 years. Another thing is to park with windshield facing east so the sun helps defrost windshield. Doesn't help if you have to leave before sunrise tho.

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I set the heater to defrost at the end of the day. In the morning the windshield is partly de-iced. Also, I sometimes plug the block heater in when the engine is running. I've only broke two extension cords that way in 15 years. Another thing is to park with windshield facing east so the sun helps defrost windshield. Doesn't help if you have to leave before sunrise tho.
    Yep, always(well almost) turn the heater controls to DEF and HOT during the winter months... then after it's started for about 30 seconds I switch the blower to high, where I park is not the best when it comes to anti-elements kind of down in a draw facing SW so right into the prevailing winds and just about never gets any sunlight on it... unless I waited til' about noon

I need to replace the plug on it... again... there have been a few times where I get so busy loading up and getting things organized I 'kinda' forget it's plugged in and drive off.... then when I get home to park I'll be looking in the mirror and see this yellow cord laying on the ground all stretched out... then it's hit me!!! DOH!!! did it again

25. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m starting to see you have some mental illness’s. Please get help

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get an electric griddle and stick it on the ground under the engine, it worked for me on a 68 Firebird I had long enough to get me through the winter when I was too poor to get a new battery. I don't think my mom ever did figure out where that griddle went.

CR

29. Likes ronsii, motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    Just get an electric griddle and stick it on the ground under the engine, it worked for me on a 68 Firebird I had long enough to get me through the winter when I was too poor to get a new battery. I don't think my mom ever did figure out where that griddle went.
    LOL!!! I actually have quite a few of the magnetic heaters(kats), I use them on small engines and other things that don't have block heaters and even as a supplement to motors that do just to give a bit more heat when it's freezing or close to it!!
    Neighbor had a wood splitter with a 6-8 hp briggs on it... wore himself out trying to start it... I put a 200w and a 300w unit.. one on the motor and one on the hydraulic tank... hour later he gave it one pull!!! and it fired right up

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, always(well almost) turn the heater controls to DEF and HOT during the winter months... then after it's started for about 30 seconds I switch the blower to high, where I park is not the best when it comes to anti-elements kind of down in a draw facing SW so right into the prevailing winds and just about never gets any sunlight on it... unless I waited til' about noon

I need to replace the plug on it... again... there have been a few times where I get so busy loading up and getting things organized I 'kinda' forget it's plugged in and drive off.... then when I get home to park I'll be looking in the mirror and see this yellow cord laying on the ground all stretched out... then it's hit me!!! DOH!!! did it again
    I always wrapped the cord once around my side mirror...

32. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I always wrapped the cord once around my side mirror...
    Good idea although I'd probably still miss it... better I wrap it through the door handle

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea although I'd probably still miss it... better I wrap it through the door handle
    That works too.

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    That works too.
    Yep otherwise I'd probably be missing a mirror sooner or later

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist