Thread: structural steel fab

Post Thanks / Like

structural steel fab

Hi guys , I am just starting out ,I'm from the NY area , i have a customer that wants a price for structural steel job. They want a LB. Price for fabrication and LB. price just for installation. Just trying to see how people break it down. thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: structural steel fab

Be careful with your exclusions, otherwise you will end up adding a story onto the empire state building for $4 a pound. I always prefer to give them a cost per structure, then if they want break it down into a pound cost. Don’t giveca blanket per pound cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are just starting out, don't let this project be your last.

Just based on your post, it sounds like an awful lot of unknowns to me. Also, if they want just an installation price, are you running a fabrication shop or a construction company or both? Also don't forget to add in the shop drawings.

Post Thanks / Like

Jaysus christ there are guys that want a LB price for steel fab! That's like me selling tree work by the inch. I think time and material is a better pricing model.

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flushcut View Post
    Jaysus christ there are guys that want a LB price for steel fab! That's like me selling tree work by the inch. I think time and material is a better pricing model.
    LOL!!!!! you got that right OP should get back to them with a bid that says something like: "General steelwork fabrication @ $6.50/LB... plus time and materials " Hey!!!, it's got a by the pound price in it

Post Thanks / Like

Most know they started by welding fencing then license for welding.

How started does not help you.
    I did because my father was work first born was not interested in he working government. Next born like working in wood.
    Ok now came along I want you be aTV repair I need money for equipment. Next machinist still need money for tools
    So great making money is iron work an fab work.
    That how is got into fabrication.
    Today I fix the go old tube tv and a machinist too.
    I made my living fab aircraft hangar doors and machining all hardware for doors. Till sold the company in 2004.

I did work for machine shops they did not me want me to do any fab work since the paid welders less money. After 2009 my doctor said could not do fab or machine work do to cancer.
    I found work at @#$ and work till retiring

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Crosscounty View Post
    Hi guys , I am just starting out ,I'm from the NY area , i have a customer that wants a price for structural steel job. They want a LB. Price for fabrication and LB. price just for installation. Just trying to see how people break it down. thank you
    Last edited by smithdoor; 01-27-2021 at 12:26 PM.