Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New angle grinder review.

Post Thanks / Like

New angle grinder review.

I was at a job the other day and had to make a couple small welds, then use a cut off wheel, then a flap disk. I have my welder (LN25 running off my Trailblazer) set up as efficiently as I can. Then I had to get the truck within a hundred feet so that my extension cord would stretch for the angle grinders. I keep 2 of the DeWalt 10 amp paddle switch grinders on the truck. One of the cords went bad, and I was already irritated about having to drag all this crap out for a minor repair.

So, after I got back to the shop I ordered a Makita XAG 04Z 18V 4 1/2” angle grinder. I have been invested in Makita batteries for decades, so this isn’t really a brand vs another recommendation. If you are invested in Milwaukee or DeWalt, I am sure that their offerings are equal.
    After it came in this afternoon I plugged in a fresh 5 AH battery and put on a new cut off wheel and went after a gazebo made of 1/2, 16 and 18 gauge tubing. I chopped it up into 3 foot chunks to fit into my scrap metal dumpster. It did an admirable job. The battery made it through 2 cut off wheels. If I was going to cut any more than that on a job I would have spare batteries on hand. The nut that holds on the wheels has a small, non standard spanner to remove the nuts. I will likely swap the nuts to be the same as every other grinder I own. It also does not spin as fast as an A/C grinder, but that didn’t seem to hamper its cutting ability. Overall I am impressed, I am going to order a second one and keep them in the truck. I paid a buck and a half shipped on EvilBay.

Name:  5B13ACCE-E2A6-4B7F-921E-EA1A9BE4C553.png
Views: 581
Size:  246.6 KB
    Last edited by walker; 01-28-2021 at 10:14 PM.

2. Likes farmersammm, scsmith42, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New angle grinder review.

I've got a 5" Milwaukee battery grinder, pretty much the same review as thing, if you have a small job to do its great, won't do heavy duty stuff but a few cuts through thin material or a bit of grinding/buffing and the convenience cant be beat.

I worked on an oil and gas job that didn't allow corded tools once though, something about them not being intrinsically safe (the motor spark in operation) so we had to use all battery tools including the welders (these fancy fronius things), let me tell you what a ****ing nightmare, you ever tried cutting through a 24" sch 80 pipe with a battery grinder? only takes about 30 batteries per cut.

4. Likes 12V71, driz, ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to use a grinder without a cord to avoid the sparks from the motor? Use it for cutting sch 80 pipe....I would imagine there are some sparks unless you were using a rubber cut off wheel. Enquiring minds need to know.

6. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    The nut that holds on the wheels has a small, non standard spanner to remove the nuts. I will likely swap the nuts to be the same as every other grinder I own.
    You may know this already, but it was news to me when I read it here on WW a year or two ago: You often don't need a wrench to take off the wheels (at least if there's any meat at all left on them)...you can just lock the shaft, grab the wheel with your hand, and loosen or tighten.

Seems like every one of my many angle grinders uses a different wrench, so this trick was welcome news to me.

Thanks for the review.

8. Likes 12V71, Dave66, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If doing heavy grinding with a 9" grinder The disc can be jammed on really tight and almost impossible to
    remove with the pathetic little wrench supplied I Learned a good trick from the local welding shop They always
    Just use a punch at an angle in the direction of travel in the hole for the wrench And a good sharp tap with a hammer
    The impact always frees the disc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    You may know this already, but it was news to me when I read it here on WW a year or two ago: You often don't need a wrench to take off the wheels (at least if there's any meat at all left on them)...you can just lock the shaft, grab the wheel with your hand, and loosen or tighten.

Seems like every one of my many angle grinders uses a different wrench, so this trick was welcome news to me.

Thanks for the review.
    It's how I do it almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    If doing heavy grinding with a 9" grinder The disc can be jammed on really tight and almost impossible to
    remove with the pathetic little wrench supplied I Learned a good trick from the local welding shop They always
    Just use a punch at an angle in the direction of travel in the hole for the wrench And a good sharp tap with a hammer
    Another nice trick is you only need one spanner. The spanner doesn't need to hit both holes, just one. The other pin will hit the side of the nut.

A trick I don't recommend (but have done) is to hit the spindle lock button just before the wheel stops spinning....don't judge, I was under a farm wagon and it's hard for me to climb out and then back in

I really like my little Milwaukee 4-1/2" m18 grinder. I just got an 8 aH battery in for the circular saw, I'll try it on the grinder next time - should do even better.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

11. Likes 12V71, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    Had to use a grinder without a cord to avoid the sparks from the motor? Use it for cutting sch 80 pipe....I would imagine there are some sparks unless you were using a rubber cut off wheel. Enquiring minds need to know.
    I never said it make any sense, some of the ridiculous rules the OHS people come up with from they're office with their university degrees blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Sometimes you can get it stuck so tight that using a hammer will break the locking pin instead of freeing the nut, another way is to heat the nut with an oxy to get it off.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.
    I couldnít budge the thing, probably the new paint stuck everything together, maybe a little wear will make it easier.

The odd thing about the nut is the pin holes are very small, a regular spanner wouldnít fit in the holes.
    Last edited by walker; 01-29-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've switched all my grinders to the dewalt style nuts with the allen wrench holes because sometimes the 'hand tightening' doesn't work... and pin wrenches suck!!! also have an allen wrench taped to every cord on the grinders... the one downside is there's no cord on the milwaukee's to tape a wrench too so I usually just grab a dewalt corded and carry along with the M18's... I know retarded right

16. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    ... the one downside is there's no cord on the milwaukee's to tape a wrench too so I usually just grab a dewalt corded and carry along with the M18's... I know retarded right
    DANG. Beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought. If you ever lose a finger and they offer to install a bionic one, ask for it to have a correct hex driver end to fit your DW flanges.

Others may opt for a 10mm socket.

:

20. Likes ronsii, MinnesotaDave, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I played hockey at a rec. center with a goalie who had lost his hand. He made a custom attachment to hold the goalie stick. I'm sure he could have made a hex key to replace his hook.

22. Likes MinnesotaDave, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I played hockey at a rec. center with a goalie who had lost his hand. He made a custom attachment to hold the goalie stick. I'm sure he could have made a hex key to replace his hook.
    A custom SS 1" square tube receiver and the possibilities are endless.

:

24. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Just a thought. If you ever lose a finger and they offer to install a bionic one, ask for it to have a correct hex driver end to fit your DW flanges.

Others may opt for a 10mm socket.

Just have them put a 3/8” drive adapter, then you can easily install the right drive head for the job. May even be able to forge a custom bugger hook.

26. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those brushless makita grinders are great. My brother has one similar to the OP. Works great, much kinder on batteries than the old brushed 452's.
    I have a variable speed version, I think it's a DGA 463, and that's even better. Full speed for cutting/grinding, but slow it right down for deburring or taking rust/paint off. makes everything last a lot longer, and it's great with those fibre paint/rust stripping wheels, they last for ages, on a standard grinder they fly to pieces quickly.

He also has a DGA900, that thing is a weapon! and the safest feeling 9" you'll ever use - has a well designed anti-kickback mech built in. It absolutely munches batteries though.

We still have an older brushed 452 each, they don't get much use.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    An old mechanic around the corner from where I grew up was missing his left hand. Shot off in the war.

The stainless pincher he had on it was nearly as strong as a wrench.
    He broke several of them over the years using it as one - I liked him, nice man
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

29. Likes shovelon, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Just have them put a 3/8” drive adapter, then you can easily install the right drive head for the job. May even be able to forge a custom bugger hook.
    And one on your left wrist... you know, for left hand threads...

I bought a 4.5" 20v DeWalt version and I use it a lot too. Like the others, you need a minimum of 4 or 5 ah batteries to do much. The little 1.5's last about 3 minutes cutting, but for cleaning up light rust for welding they are pretty good. 2 batteries on the charger should keep you working steady. DeWalt also put a smaller wrench on the battery model. I find you need to keep them tighter than the corded ones because of the "braking" effect of the DC motor... then tend to loosen while stopping.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    An old mechanic around the corner from where I grew up was missing his left hand. Shot off in the war.

The stainless pincher he had on it was nearly as strong as a wrench.
    He broke several of them over the years using it as one - I liked him, nice man
    My dads best friend, also a farmer lost his left arm in a farm accident as a child. My best memory of him is wearing a Stetson, driving his Cadillac with a cigarette in his SS left ďhookĒ while steering and glass of whiskey in his right hand.

No built in cup holders in those days. Just a little chain and cup cradle device swinging from his overflowing ash tray. Oh and bucket of ice on the passenger seat.

He had a hook like this but always wore a buttoned up long sleeved shirt. Looked quite elegant in retrospect. He was married to a saint of a wife who got up early each morning to roll his cigarettes but he sure attracted the babes.

Crap. Talk about thread drift. Sorry OP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 02-01-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    :

33. Likes MinnesotaDave, whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I've switched all my grinders to the dewalt style nuts with the allen wrench holes because sometimes the 'hand tightening' doesn't work... and pin wrenches suck!!! also have an allen wrench taped to every cord on the grinders... the one downside is there's no cord on the milwaukee's to tape a wrench too so I usually just grab a dewalt corded and carry along with the M18's... I know retarded right
    To get us back on track, I took ronsiiís advice (shhh) and taped an Allen wrench to the air whip on my extended reach grinder ( which I purchased on recommendation from tackit)

I highly recommend the use of the professional line of 3M vinyl electrical tape in the wide rolls. Itís stronger and stretches 1.5 times more than common electrical tape. Itís important to cut tape when done and NOT tear it. Then let the tail relax for 10-20 seconds before finishing up the wrap.

:

35. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, but duct tape rips easier. None of my DeWalts use that style of allen bolt holder... first time I've seen one.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

37. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To get us back on track, I took ronsiiís advice (shhh) and taped an Allen wrench to the air whip on my extended reach grinder ( which I purchased on recommendation from tackit)

I highly recommend the use of the professional line of 3M vinyl electrical tape in the wide rolls. Itís stronger and stretches 1.5 times more than common electrical tape. Itís important to cut tape when done and NOT tear it. Then let the tail relax for 10-20 seconds before finishing up the wrap.

That's a nice wrap job on the tape very even wraps, nice and consistent, look very professional you don't even want to see a job I had Sid do

On most of my 5 inch DW's I tape the wrench about a foot... away from the tool end... this lets me use the wrench without unplugging and it also helps with wrapping them up 'transport style'

Name:  dw-grinder-cords-allen1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  98.2 KB
    Step 1: wrap cord from back of grinder around head and back to tail.
    Name:  dw-grinder-cords-allen2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  94.0 KB
    Step 2: wrap cord around body of grinder starting near switch - ending near 'L' of wrench and tucking plug through the tail loop.(makes a handy loop to hang them on something too )
    Name:  dw-grinder-cords-allen3.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  89.5 KB

Here's some I keep in the work truck, notice the white tape on the left grinder? that's self-fusing silicone tape... it doesn't work as good as the cheap electrical tape... and shouldn't even bee in the same toolbox as the good stuff Lis uses
    Name:  dw-grinder-cords-allen4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  115.6 KB

39. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To get us back on track, I took ronsii’s advice (shhh) and taped an Allen wrench to the air whip on my extended reach grinder ( which I purchased on recommendation from tackit)

I highly recommend the use of the professional line of 3M vinyl electrical tape in the wide rolls. It’s stronger and stretches 1.5 times more than common electrical tape. It’s important to cut tape when done and NOT tear it. Then let the tail relax for 10-20 seconds before finishing up the wrap.

I worked with an electrician once that would cuff you if you tore tape... I still cut it to this day.
    For the best structural tape the heavier Scotch 88 is the stuff. It can hold 60 PSI in a leaky 3/4" water pipe for a full 6 months. Really.

41. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.
    Yea I haven't used a wrench in decades, I do keep a universal one around though just in case as I've ran cutoff wheels right down to the spindle housing diameter before... can't recall the last time I saw anyone on a job/project using a wrench...

43. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    Yea I haven't used a wrench in decades, I do keep a universal one around though just in case as I've ran cutoff wheels right down to the spindle housing diameter before... can't recall the last time I saw anyone on a job/project using a wrench...
    If I'm using actual grinding wheels then yeah I'll just put em on by hand... same with knotted wire wheels... but the thin cutoffs I've never been able to get em' tight enough not to slip... at least without hurting them so I've gone to wrenching all cutoffs... it just simplifies things I do keep wrenches on pretty much every grinder though just because sometimes I'll switch em' around and have several with cutoffs or wire wheels or cups.... sometimes the wire wheels get too worn down and get tighter when you accidentally stall them(hard) to get back off by hand so then it's either hit the edge with something heavy and sharp or just grab the wrench on the cord

Post Thanks / Like

I often melt the tape with a lighter where the bitter end meets the rest of the tape, to get it stuck down better.

Better yet, I sometimes coat the whole taped union with "liquid electrical tape," which does a good job of preventing the bitter end from peeling up...especially with electrical tape on boats.

46. Likes Lis2323 liked this post