Thread: Hood for the Money?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hood for the Money?

I have been helping a young man learn the trade(s)**; a couple times a week we work together in my shop for 2 hours in the afternoons. He's able to do this due to home schooling program and his parents willingness to drive the distance to get him to the shop.

We're learning lots of different aspects of the metal trades, and welding is obviously one of the bigger factors in an apprentices' scope of learning about metal work.

He doesn't have a reliable welding hood, and I use the Optrel; so, should I ask his parents to buy one - OR? is there a lower priced alternative that might be suitable for a beginner?

I guess I'm asking for a Forum based "Hood-for-the-Money" comparison of the the Forum's experience? I don't want to suggest his parents pay (approx) 500$US for the current Optrel model just because that's what I want to "see through".

On the other hand, I don't want this young man to be at a disadvantage as he learns to weld (gotta spend time looking at the arc) so I'd welcome remarks about "$ vs Quality"

thanks for any replies.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    Kenai, AK

** Gub'mnt schools, at least in our area, have stopped teaching the trades in schools! How would a young man/woman/person prepare themselves for a working career if they don't learn the trades' many skills and techniques while young? At graduation, they won't be trained enough to get a job- assuming some apprentice or beginner position; if they haven't been able to find some access to training in the basics of trade-craft! (end rant)

2. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hood for the Money?

A passive hood would probably be just fine I'd imagine. Pretty reasonable price compared to a good quality AD.

4. Likes Kevin Morin, tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kevin,

I bought this from NorthernTool.com on a vid recommendation from Jody C. I’ve been nothing but pleased. It’s my first autodarkening and it has worked perfectly for three years even in cold weather. Still 39$

Name:  72F18CAB-0808-473A-AE88-257930325FC5.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  99.2 KB

I have a big knogin and I can get my drop down respirator inside pretty easily.

Also I applaud your teaching efforts. I’m just a hobbyists but I owe the basis for anything I am doing now to the steadfast efforts of my late father. Dear dad, sorry I broke so many of your tools over the years.

Regards
    Last edited by Continuum; 01-30-2021 at 06:17 AM.

6. Likes Kevin Morin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought one from Amazon, the brand is TACKLIFE, I've had it for 2 or 3 years now. It's been good, good clarity and puddle visibility is good also, has a grinding function, adjustable from 5-13 IIRC, and sensitivity adjustment and replaceable batteries, And it has an awesome headgear! $59 or $69 at AMAZON.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 01-30-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

8. Likes Kevin Morin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a local supplier nearby ?? Many will have hoods to test drive or at least try on.
    Headgear and styles vary along with the tinted shade. Check you tube for hoods that show what the arc looks like.
    I don't have much confidence on the cheap auto darkening. The Miller digital infinity is what I'm considering. My current Miller is first generation digital elite.
    This is a post on hoods. You could search for more.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...welding-helmet

10. Likes Kevin Morin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Savage A40 @ about $80 bucks from Cyberweld. Been using it for a while now. Only drawback is specific cover plates. Can't just drop by the LWS & get a replacement.

12. Likes Kevin Morin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    Hey Kevin,

I bought this from NorthernTool.com on a vid recommendation from Jody C. I’ve been nothing but pleased. It’s my first autodarkening and it has worked perfectly for three years even in cold weather. Still 39$

I have that exact hood, I use it a lot (mind you that's hobby-ist "a lot"). It doesn't have the best field of view, but other than that, it's been great. I usually grab it instead of my other cheap (more expensive, but junk/sensors suck) or jackson (kept in cloth bag for when I learn to tig). I forgot where it came from until now.

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping from Cyberweld

$75.00 :0
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Shipping from Cyberweld

$75.00 :0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    Hey Kevin,

Name:  72F18CAB-0808-473A-AE88-257930325FC5.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  99.2 KB

I have a big knogin and I can get my drop down respirator inside pretty easily.

Also I applaud your teaching efforts. I’m just a hobbyists but I owe the basis for anything I am doing now to the steadfast efforts of my late father. Dear dad, sorry I broke so many of your tools over the years.

Regards
    Northern doesn't even have a shipping cost to where Kevin lives :0

I called and they said they would have to check with shipping department.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge