Thread: Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG

Does anyone have a newer Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG? Do you like it? Have any problems with it? It seems like a nice welder.

Thanks.
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Precision TIG 225
    Century 250 MIG
    Lincoln 225 AC Box (sold)

I support my local welding store (Amazon, McMasterCarr, Cyberweld, EBay).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 211 Autoset MIG

I have had an older, transformer model MM211 Autoset for 12 years with absolutely no problems. I really like it and use the Autoset almost any time I use .030 wire. It doesn’t work with .023 wire. Occasionally I will move the Autoset within the material gauge usually to the higher end for that gauge or next thicker gauge for more heat.

I don’t think you can go wrong with one.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few of them... both transformer and inverter ones. I like em'.. they can be a bit lacking in the duty cycle department if you're doing 1/4 inch and larger... especially in the summer with hot days the machine will 'timeout' easily.... I really don't use the autoset much... tried it out when I first got it and a few times between when doing challenging things but found I could handle the settings better than Otto could I mainly use fluxcore in them these days but when I first got the transformer 211 I used a bottle and I gotta say it did some pretty decent welds on a jeep roll cage

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used two. One was mine but I ended up selling due to a drive motor wobble that even the replacement motor suffered from. The other one my school purchased for the high school solar car team. That one works flawlessly. Arc is very smooth. Auto-set is very much dead-nuts on. MIG gun M100 is light duty, but it can be replaced easily.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Ive used two. One was mine but I ended up selling due to a drive motor wobble that even the replacement motor suffered from. The other one my school purchased for the high school solar car team. That one works flawlessly. Arc is very smooth. Auto-set is very much dead-nuts on. MIG gun M100 is light duty, but it can be replaced easily.
    Well that’s not encouraging. 1/2 equals 50%.
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Great welder for sale here:

transformer machine.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...c-211-for-sale
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fab54 View Post
    Well that’s not encouraging. 1/2 equals 50%.
    Yea I know, but I guess it was just my luck.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine has one of the transformer models and loves it. I've bid on them multiple times at local auctions and never gotten one. They regularly bring $1K around here...as much as the older MM200 and early MM250 do.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the inverter model and I love it. I will say I don't use auto set very often, but every time I do it seems to be pretty darn close to the right settings and only need a little tweaking based on position. I run C25 gas on 240v power, although I have run it off 120v power for mobile welding or around the shop when I'm far from my 240v outlets. I'm very impressed with its performance on both 240v and 120v. For reference I do light fab, mostly 1/8" angle and up to occasional 1/4" plate or 12-20ga sheet metal. I've beat the heck out of it running everything from .024 hard wire on 20ga sheet steel to .035 dual shield flux core with 100% CO2 doing multi-pass welds on up to 1/2". I will say that the M100 gun gets pretty toasty up near the top of the duty cycle, and I've been concerned about damaging it from the heat. However, I'm usually cooking my gloves by that point so the weld comes to a natural stopping point. I haven't hit the thermal cutout on it yet, but I could see hitting it if your shop gets hot in the summer and you're running .035 or larger wire for long beads.

Probably the best investment I've made in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the New ones, Love it...nice arc.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the inverter based machines last year. It’s great. Don’t regret selling my Hobart one bit. It pretty much stays with .030” in it and I pretty much always use the Autoset with it. Don’t seem to have any issues with welds being too hot or cold.
    Current machine: Miller 211
    Past machine(s): Hobart Handler 190
    “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants” - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a transformer version to use while I have a push-pull gun on my 350P and I'm really impressed with how it welds.

I found AutoSet to run a touch hot with .035" wire, but that was welding on the high end for the machine (just as a test). I can easily see how this would handle anything the typical hobby welder (me) might throw at it other than possibly running into the duty cycle if you took on a big project like fabricating a big trailer where you'd have some long runs. I'm sure it would do it, but I'd plan breaks here and there just in case.

I also think the gun is a bit light and actually small in my hands, so I'd swap out something like an M25 or equivalent for long-term use.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

im probly going to pickup a new millermatic 211 inverter in the next week for hobby jobs at the house. sounds like its a good solid machine. ive needed one for a long time. im finding out sometimes tig just isnt practical on certain jobs and stick can be a real pain in the neck

17. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    im probly going to pickup a new millermatic 211 inverter in the next week for hobby jobs at the house. sounds like its a good solid machine. ive needed one for a long time. im finding out sometimes tig just isnt practical on certain jobs and stick can be a real pain in the neck
    Have you looked at the 215??? I think it's another 4 hundred or so.... but then you'd have a bit more flexibility

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Have you looked at the 215??? I think it's another 4 hundred or so.... but then you'd have a bit more flexibility
    I don't see the value in wasting money on a machine that does steel TIG but not Aluminum. JMO.
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post

no i dont know anything about the 215. the 211 looks like plenty for what i need and honestly is $400 over my budget lol. to keep cost down i considered hobart handler 210 but thought the miller may be a better long term decision. already i have a watercool invertig 221, so ive other welding options also depending on the task at hand

21. Likes ronsii, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well i placed a order for the 211. should be a great addition to the garage. got some er70s6 and fluxcore wire to go with it. first thing is make a cart for it

23. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well i placed a order for the 211. should be a great addition to the garage. got some er70s6 and fluxcore wire to go with it. first thing is make a cart for it
    I just had a new millermatic 211 delivered and thought the same thing. The more I priced out the steel and thought about my time, I decided to just go for the Harbor Freight Vulcan cart. It’s an exact copy of the Miller cart and there is a 20% of any Vulcan accessory. For 93 bucks I thought it was a great deal. You are going to love the welder.
    Millermatic 211
    Century 250 MIG

Post Thanks / Like

hey fellas the 211 will show up friday and had some question ahead of time. is this machine capable of dual sheild flux core and perhaps even spray transfer if the proper gas mix is used ?
    invertig 221 water cooled
    millermatic 211
    hypertherm powermax 30xp

Post Thanks / Like

hey fellas the 211 will show up friday and had some question ahead of time. is this machine capable of dual sheild flux core and perhaps even spray transfer if the proper gas mix is used ?
    The 211 offers enough top end power to run an .035 dual shield or spray an .030 or .035 wire with the correct shielding gas. However the duty cycle will be very light duty, and the light duty gun won't handle the heat very well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The 211 offers enough top end power to run an .035 dual shield or spray an .030 or .035 wire with the correct shielding gas. However the duty cycle will be very light duty, and the light duty gun won't handle the heat very well
    thanks dan. im most interested in the gas shielded flux core. im planning to hook up the machine and play with it today. ive got the c25 gas , solid wire and self shielded flux. they seem self explanatory. im some what familiar with self shield flux as i use it at work in a hard facing wire.
    gas shield flux wire should arrive by next week. what im not so clear about is how to set gas shield flux on the 211 front panel. on the miller site somebody asked this very
    question but the answer wasnt clear. aparently you keep it in manual mode but on the center mode dial im not sure what mode it needs to be. obviously i dont want it on the aluminum spoolmate mode. gasless flux mode seems like the machine wont provide the needed gas. the other three modes are stainless, steel c25, steel c100. would any of these three modes be fine ? and obviously ill have the internal wire set at DC+ as thats what the manufacturer of the gas shield flux wire recomends
    invertig 221 water cooled
    millermatic 211
    hypertherm powermax 30xp